Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times

Advertisements

Although I haven't seen it in the Charlotte Disturber, the local news broadcasted on Monday night that 1,800 workers will be laid off at Daimler assembly plant in Mt. Holly. This was the same plant where Obama was recently televised nationally bragging about its being a successful company as a result of his stimulus package.

Is anyone here being affected. It is stange how this news article seems to have disappeared or been blocked. This would be a major impact on unemployment for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
You can still watch Obama's visit to this plant last March. It's my guess there won't be similar coverage for how it actually ended up.

Obama in Mount Holly: 'I love this state' | WCNC.com Charlotte

Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Although I haven't seen it in the Charlotte Disturber, the local news broadcasted on Monday night that 1,800 workers will be laid off at Daimler assembly plant in Mt. Holly. This was the same plant where Obama was recently televised nationally bragging about its being a successful company as a result of his stimulus package.

Is anyone here being affected. It is stange how this news article seems to have disappeared or been blocked. This would be a major impact on unemployment for the area.
That's not what I heard.

They are having 4 day furloughs because of a drop in orders, which Freightliner is blaming on the presidential race. Gaston Co. workers forced to take 4 days off without pay | WCNC.com Charlotte

Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
Thanks for the link. From the article:

Quote:
No layoffs are associated with this action,
And Freightliner is not blaming it on the presidential race. The article quotes Clarence Witworth, who works in material handling at the plant and serves as a union representative.

His opinion, which appears to me a not terribly informed opinion, but his opinion nevertheless:
Quote:
Whitworth says he believes the instability of the presidential race is making his industry unstable.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm not sure if a Union Rep., could be counted as a source for Daimler business plans and I find it unimaginable that the presidential race could affect anything like this.

The President of Daimler trucks, says the furloughs are due drop in demand for their trucks. In fact demand for the hybrid trucks built in Mt. Holly has dropped by 1/2.

The announcement hits all the plants in this area including those in Gaston, Cleveland and Rowan counties. Several 1000 workers have been asked to take an unspecified number of days off which are unpaid. Furthermore, there were supposed to be hirings in Cleveland which have not occurred.

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/loc...173225821.html

Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post

And Freightliner is not blaming it on the presidential race. The article quotes Clarence Witworth, who works in material handling at the plant and serves as a union representative.

His opinion, which appears to me a not terribly informed opinion, but his opinion nevertheless:
Thanks for correcting me. I remembered hearing the story on the air, found the link & posted without reading. My bad.

I tend to agree with Mr. Witworth. I've seen this sort of thing during previous presidential races. When gas prices started going up, I told some friends that I expected them to be high until after the election.They agreed. We all know that companies are sitting on money. I've heard speculation that they'll start hiring after the election. It's unfortunate, but none of this is new. Been there done that.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I'm not sure if a Union Rep., could be counted as a source for Daimler business plans and I find it unimaginable that the presidential race could affect anything like this.

The President of Daimler trucks, says the furloughs are due drop in demand for their trucks. In fact demand for the hybrid trucks built in Mt. Holly has dropped by 1/2.

The announcement hits all the plants in this area including those in Gaston, Cleveland and Rowan counties. Several 1000 workers have been asked to take an unspecified number of days off which are unpaid. Furthermore, there were supposed to be hirings in Cleveland which have not occurred.

Freightliner Furloughs Indicate State of Economy | Charlotte News | Weather | Carolina Panthers | Bobcats | FOX Charlotte | Local News
Where is there a plant in Cleveland County? There's a plant in Gafney, which is Cherokee County, SC.

I've seen this sort of thing happen during past elections. Customers speed up or slow down orders.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post

I wondered what it would mean to blame something on the presidential race, lolololol.

I see what the guy meant now . . . orders are down b/c people are scared to death about what is going to happen with the economy.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I wondered what it would mean to blame something on the presidential race, lolololol.

I see what the guy meant now . . . orders are down b/c people are scared to death about what is going to happen with the economy.
This is very real, Ani. My mom's older brother worked at a piano factory. Starting in the late 70s or early 80s, my uncle would tell about companies speeding up or slowing down orders during presidential campaigns. I had friends who worked in places effected by company orders. They experienced the same thing.

It's a shame that this sort of thing happens, because it hurts people. It even hurts people when orders are stepped up, because later there will be a hit to even things out.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Where is there a plant in Cleveland County?...
You are correct. The plant in the announcement is in Cleveland, NC, but it also includes the plants in this area.

Anecdotal observations is just that, anecdotal.

The Daimler president gave a press conference and said they announced the shutdowns because they were not selling trucks to the levels projected and that sales had been dropping for the last 8 months.

Unlike General Motors, they are not able to stuff dealer inventory to make it appear there are real sales out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte