Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM

68 posts, read 162,875 times

Advertisements

Anybody know where some good fishing spot near Charlotte,nc. I don't want to pull the boat, so looking to fish from the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,785,073 times
Access is going to be the hard part. There are a couple of waterfront parks on Norman and Wylie, but I can't say one way or another if they're hot spots. There are dozens of fishing boats on Wylie pretty much every day of the week, so that might be a good lake to check out. You can probably fish pretty close to a few docks at the parks if you're skilled enough to not get your line caught up. Most of the places I see people fishing regularly will require a boat unless you can find some way to sweet-talk the owners of the property, and I don't see that happening.

Try Copperhead Island access and the small ramp right under 74 on the north end of the lake.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,193,599 times
Suuuure . . . I'm going to share my super secret hot fishing spot.

(j/k--I don't fish.)

Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,449,285 times
If you are looking to fish and be able to keep the catch and cook it, look outside of this area. Here the fish are throw backs. If fishing for the fun of it, try aorund Buster Boyd Bridge, Latta Plantation Park those are easily accessible.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,488,059 times
You might want to check out Cane Creek Park in Union County. I'll find the website for you with directions in just a minute.

http://www.co.union.nc.us/QualityofL...4/Default.aspx

Here is a copy of another post I did on a fishing thread:
The county is Wilkes in North Carolina.
The road is Old North Carolina 16 North.
The creek is called the Clear Branch that flows into the middle fork of Reddies River.
My brothers thought it was heaven because it contains native mountain rainbow trout if you go up the branch more than 1/2 mile.
They always wore hip boots as a safety precaution.
Reddies River is stocked by the fish and wildlife department, but this waterway is so isolated that the stocked trout don't go very far upstream. My brothers used to come back home from there so excited about their catch, because they caught fish like most people have never seen.

The native rainbow trout are smaller than most trout and have beautiful coloring.

If you are traveling on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Old N. C. Sixteen Highway crosses over the Parkway coming from Glendale Springs at the Northwest Trading Post. You would need to take the road across the parkway traveling away from Glendale Springs. It is easier to get to from the East by turning off N. C. 16 Highway just a little after coming down the Deep Ford Hill in the Millers Creek community.

Directions from Charlotte: I-77 to Highway 421 and turn right off 421 onto N. C. 16 going toward West Jefferson. Keep straight on N. C. 16 going through the Millers Creek traffic light (unless it has changed, there is only one light). When you get to Millers Creek Elementary School start looking for the first service station on the right and stop and ask them how to get on Old N. C. Sixteen Highway North. Or keep going up N. C. 16 for a few miles (2-5) until you go down a steep hill that has a bad curve at the bottom and take the first road to the right. That is Old 16 Highway North. Old Sixteen is curvy and goes for miles with some turn-offs, but you will need to keep going straight. I am not sure the Clear Branch bridge is labeled, but anyone in the area will be able to tell you where it is. If you get lost, any creek in the area will be good fishing. The scenery is great, so whatever happens it should be a good adventure.

Note: If you miss the turnoff right below the Deep Ford Hill and end up going past the Old Wilbar Post Office and the Wilbar Fire Department there is another road that cuts off N. C. 16 there across from the building that has Wilbar on it and goes over to Old N. C. 16 North. When you get to the end of that road, just turn left and you will be on Old 16. Happy fishing.

When I was a child I caught my first fish in South Carolina and got my love for fishing. The second fish I ever caught was on the Clear Branch. My oldest brother took me fishing in South Carolina. My youngest brother took me fishing on the Clear Branch. Did you know that the time of year you are fishing in a creek depends on which part of the fishing hole to drop your hook in order to catch something? Aren't brothers nice to share such good information?

Two other places I remember my brothers mentioning that they liked to fish were Grassy Creek and Beaver Creek. I think they are both in Ashe County.

Last edited by NCN; 06-05-2012 at 12:49 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,334,520 times
Try Deep Water Trail Camp , located on Falls Reservoir , about 90 miles east of here. Albeit , the drive is treacherous , about 8 miles from the main thoroughfare down a gravel road , similar to the roads on the movie Wrong Turn. I know it sounds crazy , but to catch the fish , most times , you must be willing to venture where few others go , LOL!! When I went , there were alot of people there , to my astonishment , mostly campers. Enroute back to the car , there were about 30 people riding horses down there. They were rather nice , as were everyone else , save for some fools on a boat who threatened to shoot me with an AR 15. Luckily , those are a minority. Just be sure to drive slow in order to keep from ruining your car's suspension/alignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte