Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 PM

474 posts, read 495,748 times

Advertisements

I went to Club Butter tonight and was denied entry, turns out that this was a fairly common phenomenon there as people of color are regularly denied entry. I have found a link online that speaks about the same:

Woman alleges Club Butter is racist, attorneys deny claim - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

There's also a facebook page regarding the same thing happening to someone else. Seems like Charlotte is a place where people are only allowed to enter certain places based on the color of their skin, quite a pathetic thing for a city that is hosting the next DNC and ranked as the fastest growing city in US right now(source:Yahoo).

Btw, 3 people behind me who were Caucasian were allowed entry immediately. I thought US moved past the pre 60's era long ago, looks like the South alone was stuck in the past.

I am brown by the way.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
What was the reason that they denied you entry for? Did they say "Hey black guy, your can't come in here"?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Yeah. A lot of the bouncers at the dance clubs and bars downtown have unwritten policies on keeping the number of blacks admitted to a minimum. Good luck proving anything though.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Yeah. A lot of the bouncers at the dance clubs and bars downtown have unwritten policies on keeping the number of blacks admitted to a minimum. Good luck proving anything though.
I am not black, I am brown. To be more specific, I am Indian(South East Asian). Based on what you have said, it seems like it's more of a White vs non White thing then.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What was the reason that they denied you entry for? Did they say "Hey black guy, your can't come in here"?
Thanks for the smartass wisecrack but that's not what he exactly said, the bouncer just said that it was full inside there and that he couldn't let us in while letting in the White ladies and gentlemen behind us. Hey if that's how you keep it down here, so be it. Since I just moved here from New England, I didn't know that you folks were stuck in pre civil rights times, I guess New England is a better place after all than this cesspool of a city even with the high cost of living up there.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
You might have been denied entry just for being a man. Some clubs do that to prevent the sex ratio from becoming too skewed. That might explain why the ladies and gentlemen behind you were admitted.

Off topic, but aren't Indians considered South Asians? lol.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:59 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
Since I just moved here from New England, I didn't know that you folks were stuck in pre civil rights times, I guess New England is a better place after all than this cesspool of a city even with the high cost of living up there.
So you are immediately ready to judge an entire metropolitan area as a backwards racist cesspool because one bouncer decided to deny you entrance to a crowded dance bar? I'm thinking you might want to sit down and work out a few issues and priorities.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
I am not black, I am brown. To be more specific, I am Indian(South East Asian). Based on what you have said, it seems like it's more of a White vs non White thing then.
I don't know. I've just heard a lot of bouncers talk about how they try to avoid letting black people in. This is mostly uptown and mostly they do the sorting by the type of clothes the person has on, etc.

It could have been because you were a man, too. Most clubs want more women than men, so they're not going to let in a guy without at least one woman with him.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 AM

103 posts, read 144,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I don't know. I've just heard a lot of bouncers talk about how they try to avoid letting black people in. This is mostly uptown and mostly they do the sorting by the type of clothes the person has on, etc.

It could have been because you were a man, too. Most clubs want more women than men, so they're not going to let in a guy without at least one woman with him.
You nailed it there. Should be no surprise that a guy was not allowed in to a trendy club, but a mixed women/men group was. The club needs eye candy to keep people interested in the club. Being from New England myself, I have seen this first hand in Providence and NYC clubs. My friends and I (we are all white) were denied admission one night because our pants were too baggy. I had the same pair of khakis I had worn the prior week when I was admitted. The only difference was we were a group of 3 guys and we showed up at around 11. At that time, if you aren't a female, you aren't getting in.

I have also seen, in NE clubs, long dress code lists that deny entry for people wearing jerseys, hoodies, work boots, baggy jeans, bandanas and baseball hats. I wonder who that is designed to discriminate against? Probably not the Norwegians.

In New Jersey some idiot sued over ladies night. His argument was that ladies night discriminated against men because of the cheaper drinks and no cover.

So by the OP's logic, the Northeast must hate white people and New Jersey hates men. Every club on earth discriminates against people dressed like Trayvon.

The point of this being, to the OP, that if you took the time to understand the business practices of the industry you are criticizing; you may not be so quick to start calling people racists.

Thank you, come again.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganite22 View Post
Every club on earth discriminates against people dressed like Trayvon.
Did you really have to drag an unrelated dead kid's name into the mix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte