Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
....try to paint Charlotte as something it clearly is not....to you?! i personally find it to be so much more!!!!
You find that jobs grow on trees and unemployment numbers are wonderfully low? Please share with the rest of us where you find this? We'd love to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblibgal View Post
Agree that it is all about perspective. My husband just took a job here and we have decided for the time being that having the whole family relocate is not our best option. I have been doing a lot of comparing between the Columbus area and here and find that it is really pretty much even exchanges. I do believe the housing market here is a bit more overpriced than in similar neighborhoods of the columbus area. However, the taxes here are much lower so that is a plus. I pay 16K in property taxes for a 700K home in a suburb of columbus. On the columbus side there are many more great public schools as an option than in this area. Living here I would have to consider private as an option and that adds more money. My husband will be paying NC income tax instead of OH's and that works in our favor, too. Quality of living is much the same minus a few sunny days in OH. Columbus job market and housing market are still pretty strong.
Interesting what type of house is that to cost 700k in OH, I thought OH was very cheap,

Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/where-americans-are-moving-this-year.html

According to this..Charlotte is not even in the top 10 anymore....- Not surprised though.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/where-americans-are-moving-this-year.html

According to this..Charlotte is not even in the top 10 anymore....- Not surprised though.
Chicago and Long Beach/Los Angeles are listed. 'Nuff said. I'm surprised Big Brother NYC wasn't added.

Also DC?!?! Who in their right mind would move to DC? They might as well throw Detroit into the list and make it a complete disaster. They gave DC the number one spot due to cost of living and jobs. Problem is, government is the number one employer there. That's not a prosperous growing city, which is what is needed to consider a cities economy as "good".

I've now been living in Charlotte for 3 months and I have to say it's much more than I expected. The only disappointment I have with the city is the lack of retail in uptown. Other than that, jobs are fine. Let's face the truth here; jobs are crappy right now everywhere unless you live in China. Any person with half a brain would find a job first and not base their move on a gamble.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
....try to paint Charlotte as something it clearly is not....to you?! i personally find it to be so much more!!!!
I am very happy for you that your move here has turned out so well. I wish I could say the same for myself. Charlotte is a great city if you have good employment! Economy aside I love this city so I am very upset about having to leave, but it's something I have to do if I want any hope for a career. Negative people on this board are simply just trying to warn people against walking into which could be a trap.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Chicago and Long Beach/Los Angeles are listed. 'Nuff said. I'm surprised Big Brother NYC wasn't added.

Also DC?!?! Who in their right mind would move to DC? They might as well throw Detroit into the list and make it a complete disaster. They gave DC the number one spot due to cost of living and jobs. Problem is, government is the number one employer there. That's not a prosperous growing city, which is what is needed to consider a cities economy as "good".

I've now been living in Charlotte for 3 months and I have to say it's much more than I expected. The only disappointment I have with the city is the lack of retail in uptown. Other than that, jobs are fine. Let's face the truth here; jobs are crappy right now everywhere unless you live in China. Any person with half a brain would find a job first and not base their move on a gamble.
I personally beg to differ....DC and Chicago are nice cities with great qualities of life with lots to do(lots more than Charlotte), great restaurants, exciting nightlife, and a great business community that is immeasureable. But hey...thats your opinion, which Im gonna respect..

Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
You find that jobs grow on trees and unemployment numbers are wonderfully low? Please share with the rest of us where you find this? We'd love to know.
please tell us where these places are in the US and please don't say North Dakota.

When you compare cities that are the same size as Charlotte I think Charlotte is pretty favorable in terms of quality of life, job opportunities, etc.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I personally beg to differ....DC and Chicago are nice cities with great qualities of life with lots to do(lots more than Charlotte), great restaurants, exciting nightlife, and a great business community that is immeasureable. But hey...thats your opinion, which Im gonna respect..
I like those cities but they are expensive and crowded. I don't think jobs are anymore plentiful when you look at their size.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I like those cities but they are expensive and crowded. I don't think jobs are anymore plentiful when you look at their size.
True, but you have a plethora of more companies to choose from....Both cities give you limitless options. And yes the cost of living in both cities are higher than Charlotte....but usually companies and organizations will pay you a salary that is commensurate with the city's cost of living.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:15 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
please tell us where these places are in the US and please don't say North Dakota.

When you compare cities that are the same size as Charlotte I think Charlotte is pretty favorable in terms of quality of life, job opportunities, etc.

Sometimes I feel like people just want to argue for the sake of arguing. I'm not trying to compare anything. All I want is for these hack journalists to get their damn info straight. Sure, this is a great place to live. But don't try to pretend that this is going to be the place where you just show up and get a good job that pays well. You're not going to waltz into some HR person's office and get a job without facing some stiff competition. The competition could be dozens of people, or it could be hundreds. You'd better bring your A-game if you plan to gain employment.

Bottom line is this isn't some promised land and may or may not be better than where you're from, but don't believe all of the hype. While some may be true, plenty is inaccurate at best, entirely fabricated at worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte