Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 PM

443 posts, read 1,254,490 times

Advertisements

We have a relative coming from out of town, with her family, who will be living in Charlotte. However, her job will be in Salisbury. They may eventually move to Concord, but for the next couple of years they will be in Charlotte for a variety of reasons.

SOooo...I am guessing that the commute will be about 1hour or less, given that she will be going against traffic. Is that correct? Once of the expressway she has to head to the Food Lion HQs. I don't know where in Salisbury that is.
I have not been able to find any vanpools or other transport going from Charlotte to Salisbury, just the opposite commute (which would make sense).

Any advice of routes (85, I assume) or other considerations for someone heading from Charlotte to Salisbury each day? I am not a fan of commuting so it sounds rough to me...but I want to give her realistic advice, since she asked!

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:29 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,002,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
We have a relative coming from out of town, with her family, who will be living in Charlotte. However, her job will be in Salisbury. They may eventually move to Concord, but for the next couple of years they will be in Charlotte for a variety of reasons.

SOooo...I am guessing that the commute will be about 1hour or less, given that she will be going against traffic. Is that correct? Once of the expressway she has to head to the Food Lion HQs. I don't know where in Salisbury that is.
I have not been able to find any vanpools or other transport going from Charlotte to Salisbury, just the opposite commute (which would make sense).

Any advice of routes (85, I assume) or other considerations for someone heading from Charlotte to Salisbury each day? I am not a fan of commuting so it sounds rough to me...but I want to give her realistic advice, since she asked!

T
With all the construction, she may want to take 29 through Kannapolis instead of 85. 85 notoriously bottlenecks in Cabarrus County around Concord Mills.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,372,655 times
I travel that way often heading from Huntersville to the Triad, I dont find the bottleneck going in the north on 85. However same cant be said heading south on 85 . Some reason it can be stop and go heading south on 85 starting after exit 55 backing up way past the rest area.

So I would consider that route coped suggested when heading back to Charlotte.
However 29 would put you a little closer to FL.HQ exit on Jake Alexander Blvd. If you take 85 it will be exit 74 onto Jake Alexander Blvd.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:18 PM

184 posts, read 465,029 times
There's a ton of construction on 85 right after Salisbury to Concord. We travel that route once a month. It's not too bad. Friday afternoons from Charlotte to Salisbury might be hellacious - it does bottleneck before Concord Mills. It clears up after, but then the Yadkin River bridge construction starts up soon after. Depending where in Charlotte, an hour sounds reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte