U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I'm fortunate to have a social circle that doesn't believe the 2nd Amendment stops at their door. I guess I'm just lucky like that. But, if someone asks me to leave, I will do as they ask. Any business that asks me to leave will not ever have to worry about me darkening their doorway again.

I honestly don't understand some people's intense fear of firearms. And I am not suggesting the OP is fearful of them.
It's not always fear - some people have a moral objection to guns.

We should all try to respect each others point of view on the issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:57 AM

335 posts, read 589,380 times
Quote:
I honestly don't understand some people's intense fear of firearms. And I am not suggesting the OP is fearful of them.
Scenario: Older/middle aged lady owns a home. Deadbeat drunk sons still live at home or visit frequently, and have a fascination with firearms. Next thing you know they are all 3 in the police blotter. Common problem.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:02 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,409,050 times
Loves, I had no intention of disrespecting anyones opinion. My comment was more about a handful of people I have talked with lately who are truly afraid of firearms but have no idea. It was a little off topic but based on recent observation.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
This is why I don't get the concealed concept anyway. Hiding guns all over the place makes people scared. I say that if any adult wants to carry a gun, they have the right to do so, and the government should have no say in it, no registering, no anything. However the only rule for carrying it should be that it's holstered and ready for use and in plain sight. That way people will get used to them and the ones with the guns can let everyone know right off they mean business. (else there is no need to carry one)

Of course in the OP's case, the polite thing would be to leave the guns at the door if they don't want them inside.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This is why I don't get the concealed concept anyway. Hiding guns all over the place makes people scared. I say that if any adult wants to carry a gun, they have the right to do so, and the government should have no say in it, no registering, no anything. However the only rule for carrying it should be that it's holstered and ready for use and in plain sight. That way people will get used to them and the ones with the guns can let everyone know right off they mean business. (else there is no need to carry one)

Of course in the OP's case, the polite thing would be to leave the guns at the door if they don't want them inside.
lol, you don't "hide guns all over the place" when you have a concealed carry permit.

The permit just allows you to have the gun on your person or in your car out of sight (in a pocket or glove box).

Old 06-07-2012, 12:34 PM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Scenario: Older/middle aged lady owns a home. Deadbeat drunk sons still live at home or visit frequently, and have a fascination with firearms. Next thing you know they are all 3 in the police blotter. Common problem.
scenario 2...

relative who is a vet comes home from tour and can't stop whipping his gun out. Next thing you know...

I'm bringing up the vet scenario because I just watched a PBS special on a Marine from NC who came back from active duty with injuries and he was on tons of meds. The guy kept waving his gun around in the apartment and kept talking about how he always has it close to him and it was clear he was unstable, paranoid, loopey and his wife was scared... she stuck by his side the whole time but it was obvious she was uncomfortable with his constant love affair with his handgun.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 PM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Loves, I had no intention of disrespecting anyones opinion. My comment was more about a handful of people I have talked with lately who are truly afraid of firearms but have no idea. It was a little off topic but based on recent observation.
If you didn't grow up with guns they can be very intimidating.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,276,166 times
I was at a friend's home a while back for dinner with him and his wife. We had a few or 20 beers and were having a good time, when he came back into the room with his new shotgun. I'd known this guy had guns, and he seemed to be mature enough to manage them sensibly. But to bring out guns (several more long guns and a few pistols) when we'd all been drinking seemed very unsafe and irresponsible.

In the end it was all fine. The guns weren't loaded, and no one was waving them around. But I would be uncomfortable to the point of either leaving someone else's home, or asking them leave mine, if I didn't know them at least as well as I knew this guy, and they pulled out their weapons. I own guns, and know how to shoot and handle them safely. I'm not afraid of them or anyone who obviously knows how to handle them. I don't know that about many other people, so it's best to just not have guns around until I make that assessment. People die every day from gun stupidity, and I plan to not be one of them.

My house, my rules, and I don't need a reason. I don't think a sign saying "no guns" is a good idea, though. No reason to bring it up until there really is a reason.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:07 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,409,050 times
No, you don't need a reason. To suggest otherwise is silly.

Your friend is not smart. One of the most basic rules of gun safety is don't handle them if you've been drinking. Period. I don't care how cool that new gun you just bought is.

Even though I am owed no explanation, I would like to hear the OP's reasoning for wanting to ban firearms from his/her home. Just seems like a lot of effort going into something that is really straightforward. And the post seems to me like it is a recurring problem or the OP feels it may become one.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
I can give a reason for no guns in the home that I personally experienced. In the 2-3 years before my dad passed away he began to suffer, in increasing severity, from Alzheimer's disease. As the disease got worse, he would stop being the person he was and become someone unrecognizable, often angry, frightened, and bewildered all at the same time. My mom, bless her, tried to let him stay at their home of 45+ years as long as possible. (There are no recipe books for life.)

One night however she woke up in the middle of the night and found him in the living room loading the rifle. The gun had been locked up and while we had hidden all the keys to things like this and the car, he managed to get a hold of it anyway. Fortunately she managed to get the rifle from him before he hurt himself or anyone else and after that the guns were removed from the house and she forbid any from being brought back in.

So this is at least one situation where you might not want to have guns in a home. For someone like my dad, who grew up with guns and during the time he was alive was very responsible for them, got to the point where they had to be taken away from him. He didn't understand, just like when the car keys were taken away, so there didn't need to be any reminders or potential access to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte