U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 AM

34 posts, read 51,598 times

Advertisements

Do I have the legal right as a homeowner to not allow people to carry guns/firearms on my property? Either concealed carry or open carry?
In trying to decipher the regulations I think I do but am not quite positive.
Can anyone help? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM

335 posts, read 591,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLjungberg View Post
Do I have the legal right as a homeowner to not allow people to carry guns/firearms on my property? Either concealed carry or open carry?
Seriously? Of course! You have the right to forbid anything (or anyone for that matter) on your property, if you are indeed the owner or legal tenant.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,588,589 times
Quote:
If you don't want guns in your home, there should be no guns in your home.

Anyone with a concealed carry who does not respect your rules as the homeowner should just not be invited in.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,616,305 times
Quote:
Yes you do.
Why you want not want them on the property is beyond me but yes you have the right to say yay or nay.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:17 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,360,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Yes you do.
Why you want not want them on the property is beyond me but yes you have the right to say yay or nay.
I wouldn't want anyone who I didn't know very well on my property with a gun.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 PM

11,802 posts, read 9,391,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Yes you do.
Maybe they want to be the only ones with a gun on their property? Maybe they don't want any guns on their property?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,444,182 times
You can forbid your guests from carrying, but do you really have a problem with that many people showing up with firearms at your house? As far as any legal backing, the only charge you could get on anyone is trespassing if they refuse to leave.

I would not recommend you go so far as placing those signs that say gun-free zone or some other such nonsense on your property.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 AM

820 posts, read 1,537,004 times
It's your property. You set the rules as to who can come on your property. Otherwise, it's trespassing. The only ones who seem to have rights that trump yours are "government officials" when ordinances or laws are being broken.

As for anyone on your property with a firearm that is concealed, there's no reason you should know they are carrying unless they are dumber than a box of rocks. It's called concealed for a reason. Two members of our family have carried concealed for as long as the CCW law has existed. No one has ever known we were carrying, unless we share a common interest, i.e., right to personal safety and protection.

As someone noted before, I would strongly advise against a sign that states no firearms. Guess who the low-life thugs are going to visit, first.

If you know someone who you think is carrying concealed when they visit you, then politely explain your discomfort and ask them to secure their weapon in their vehicle. They will - or should - respect your wishes. If you are one of the rabid anti-gun types, that person won't be visiting you in the future.

O.K. folks, bring it on.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 AM

11,802 posts, read 9,391,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
It's your property. You set the rules as to who can come on your property. Otherwise, it's trespassing. The only ones who seem to have rights that trump yours are "government officials" when ordinances or laws are being broken.

As for anyone on your property with a firearm that is concealed, there's no reason you should know they are carrying unless they are dumber than a box of rocks. It's called concealed for a reason. Two members of our family have carried concealed for as long as the CCW law has existed. No one has ever known we were carrying, unless we share a common interest, i.e., right to personal safety and protection.

As someone noted before, I would strongly advise against a sign that states no firearms. Guess who the low-life thugs are going to visit, first.

If you know someone who you think is carrying concealed when they visit you, then politely explain your discomfort and ask them to secure their weapon in their vehicle. They will - or should - respect your wishes. If you are one of the rabid anti-gun types, that person won't be visiting you in the future.

O.K. folks, bring it on.
If a family member or coworker made it known they didn't want guns on their property would you still carry?

That could be viewed as being a little disrespectful IMO.

I don't think a sign stating no firearms invites thugs unless it actually says there are none on the premises.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,444,182 times
I'm fortunate to have a social circle that doesn't believe the 2nd Amendment stops at their door. I guess I'm just lucky like that. But, if someone asks me to leave, I will do as they ask. Any business that asks me to leave will not ever have to worry about me darkening their doorway again.

I honestly don't understand some people's intense fear of firearms. And I am not suggesting the OP is fearful of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte