U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 PM
 
1,169 posts, read 1,278,633 times
Reputation: 761

Advertisements

That's pretty terrible. I live in uptown and it's extremely clean. Guess that's where theyre focusing their efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
Reputation: 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I challenge you to follow me and find me throwing ANYTHING out of my vehicle. I'd pay you $500 if you see ever anything go out my windows! I am far from perfect, but that is an absolute rule for my family.
I am down with this.

Reputation, my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 PM
 
1,169 posts, read 1,278,633 times
Reputation: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Here's a thought-fine smokers $500 for every cigarette seen being tossed out of their car windows. Maybe that would help that part of the trash problem. Why do smokers think their butts aren't trash?
It's not "smokers" that are creating the problem. Quit making generalizations. I used to smoke and took the 5 seconds out of my short life to throw the butt away. It's a lack of personal responsibility that causes this. Just today, I saw one of the parking garage security guys on 6th street throw a bottle at a trash can and miss. Didn't give two ****s about picking it up either. Next time youre on 6th in uptown, you'll probably see it.

Charging money has never fixed anything. If a littering fine worked, you wouldn't see all this damn trash! Maybe instead of leaving it to the government to fix the problem, say how you feel to the person you see doing it. If you don't like it, make them feel like a moron for doing it in the first place. I guarantee that'll be more effective than charging money to use the street as a personal garbage can.

What happened to peoples balls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 PM
 
12,392 posts, read 7,449,571 times
Reputation: 23225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Maybe instead of leaving it to the government to fix the problem, say how you feel to the person you see doing it. If you don't like it, make them feel like a moron for doing it in the first place. I guarantee that'll be more effective than charging money to use the street as a personal garbage can.

What happened to peoples balls?
But the cigarettes that end up on the side of the street are mostly from people throwing them out their cars. How exactly are you supposed to say something about it to someone speeding down the highway? Follow them, and once they reach their destination, confront them about it? Drive behind them honking and waving and hope they pull over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM
 
1,056 posts, read 1,745,903 times
Reputation: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But the cigarettes that end up on the side of the street are mostly from people throwing them out their cars. How exactly are you supposed to say something about it to someone speeding down the highway? Follow them, and once they reach their destination, confront them about it? Drive behind them honking and waving and hope they pull over?
Here is one option when you see someone litter:

Swat-A-Litterbug

The violator will get sent a letter basically saying that they were seen tossing litter from their car or whatever. It may be deterrent of sorts for the offender, or maybe not if they are habitual litterers and could care less. They will also be sent an ashtray and a small trash bag for their car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 AM
 
642 posts, read 986,480 times
Reputation: 640
Littering - zero tolerance. Fine them, make them do community service to clean up the mess wearing orange jump suits.

About a year ago I saw a group of supervised detainees (wearing orange jump suits) moving up S Tryon towards Charlotte and they we picking up trash from both sides of the road and from the median. They put the trash into bags and left them at the side of the road presumably for the city to come and collect them. What a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Shakedown Street
1,452 posts, read 2,568,005 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
It's not "smokers" that are creating the problem.
So all the cigarette butts I see in those pictures, and at most intersections, are from non-smokers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
Reputation: 4402
I have unofficially adopted a section/intersection of two major thoroughfares in Charlotte. They are officially State roads, so I don't know how responsible the City is... but I will say that the sheer amount of trash I pick up is disgusting. It is amazing to me to see people throw trash out of their windows, I just can't believe people are so damn lazy that they can't haul their sorry butts to a trash can first.

I don't pick up cigarette butts at my adopted roadway just because of the sheer number of them. I could literally spend two hours picking up butts at one small interchange, it's terrible. As a former smoker who has thrown butts out of the window (as the exception, rather than the rule) I am ashamed at the impact I contributed to. Hopefully I am helping to make up for it now...

Besides butts, I also see a lot of alcohol containers (cans and bottles), soda cans, fast food trash, candy wrappers and a TON of those damn flavored blunts wrappers. I also can't tell you how many McCafe' cups I've picked up over the years. I believe now that if you drink a dadgum McCafe you probably drive to this intersection to toss it out of the window... I see that many.

I've also found lots of notes (usually angry lovers), handwritten rap lyrics (terrible), money ($1, 5 and 20 bills!!), mowed over political signs (hate those damn things, who decides who to vote for based on the number of lawn signs? idiots, that's who), bottles full of **** (I think), dirty diapers, old broken phones, cd's, and construction debris.

The saddest part is that the very next day after a clean up there is always lots more trash...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
It's not "smokers" that are creating the problem. Quit making generalizations. I used to smoke and took the 5 seconds out of my short life to throw the butt away. It's a lack of personal responsibility that causes this. Just today, I saw one of the parking garage security guys on 6th street throw a bottle at a trash can and miss. Didn't give two ****s about picking it up either. Next time youre on 6th in uptown, you'll probably see it.

Charging money has never fixed anything. If a littering fine worked, you wouldn't see all this damn trash! Maybe instead of leaving it to the government to fix the problem, say how you feel to the person you see doing it. If you don't like it, make them feel like a moron for doing it in the first place. I guarantee that'll be more effective than charging money to use the street as a personal garbage can.

What happened to peoples balls?
I've responded many times, including scooping up the contents of a guy's ashtray that he dumped out while sitting at a red light, and dumping it through his open sunroof. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but I was still bulletproof back then. I've asked people walking in to my store to pick up their butts and put them in the ashcan we provided for that purpose. Years ago my roommate and I had words with the person who'd flicked a butt out of his car, which then flew into my roommate's car. That got the attention of a LEO, who stopped it from going where it was likely headed.

I'm not as confrontational as I used to be, but I do my part.

Littering fines don't work because, I assume, they are seldom handed out. I'm not saying I want a primary focus of law enforcement to be writing up litterbugs, but if there is no penalty, too many people lack the personal responsibility (great term, BTW) to do the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Here is one option when you see someone litter:

Swat-A-Litterbug

The violator will get sent a letter basically saying that they were seen tossing litter from their car or whatever. It may be deterrent of sorts for the offender, or maybe not if they are habitual litterers and couldn't care less. They will also be sent an ashtray and a small trash bag for their car.
The reason butts are thrown out is that even smokers know they don't want the nasty smelly ashy butts in their car. Giving them an ashtray won't help much if at all. I'd like to see if that program has helped the problem of littering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
So all the cigarette butts I see in those pictures, and at most intersections, are from non-smokers?
Exactly!!

Not all smokers throw their butts out, but all butts are thrown out by smokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,352 posts, read 4,024,869 times
Reputation: 3035
I haven't littered since I saw this ad when I was 6 years old:


The Crying Indian - full commercial - Keep America Beautiful - YouTube

I remember groups coming to my elementary school to talk about Earth Day and the environment - that made a huge impression on me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top