Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,645,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
I could not care less about their tolerance for my indifference for the exact terminology of their (and my) heritage.
I'm not in Ireland, I'm not even an "Irish American"......I am an American of Irish heritage.
If they come here they need to assimilate into American society just like any other immigrant.
If they don't want to they can stay where they are as far as I am concerned.

And what exactly does all this have to do with box_of_zip_disks statement about drinking and car bombs anyways?
I don't care if you're Mexican, Irish, or whatever, if you're here illegally, you're illegal. All should be treated the same. I once worked with a German immigrant who was deported on a technicality, while they ignored millions of blatantly illegal immigrants.

Lifting Anglo Saxon from WASP to mean a white person who doesn't fit the description of WASP is weird, in my opinion. Would you use that for an illegal immigrant of Italian origin? Just call a white person white.

One poster elevated illegal Irish & another shot off a smart remark. You chose to have a problem with that poster making the smart remark & tossed in the Anglo Saxon, which you then removed. I made a comment that the Irish are Celtic & used , to indicate that I wasn't having a big problem with it, unlike you having a problem with box_of_zip_disks. You want to have a problem with me for that? Good for you. Have at it.

It doesn't make illegal immigrants less illegal & it doesn't make what the teacher referenced in this thread right. As I said earlier, she's from the EU. She knows that people in the EU would have a problem with what she's doing, if she did it there. She hasn't been here long enough to be a naturalized citizen & she's helping students circumvent the law. CMS should be looking for a US citizen to replace her.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-18-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,016,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEndingBliss View Post
Just joined the forum and I have done a lot of reading. You spend a LOT of time on the forum and profess to be an expert on almost everything.

Care to share your information about 30,000 illegal Irish immigrants in the U.S.?

How about telling the rest of the story about the Asian Exclusion Act of 1875? It excluded Asians who would not work on the railroads and all Chinese women who refused to submit to prostitution once granted entry.

Can't wait.
There are quite a few illegal Irish immigrants in the Bronx, Queens, and Boston, among other places. Many are family members of mine. In fact, there are whole neighborhoods of them (Woodlawn and parts of Riverdale, Bronx; Sunnyside, Queens) A good chunk are bartenders and construction workers or students who overstay their visas. There were quite a few more before 9-11, but more came after the financial crisis decimated employment prospects in Ireland.

Illegal? Better if you're Irish - latimes.com

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at regarding the Exclusion Acts, regardless of the Page Act's specifics, it was the first restriction on immigration to the US and was made with ethnicity as the primary factor. White women were not questioned about prostitution before entering the US. It was a prelude to the much more restrictive 1882 Act, which made it essentially illegal for Chinese laborers to enter (but allowed merchants and students - hmm, wonder where our stereotypes come from). The restrictions on female immigrants were much more vigorously enforced.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Irish people are highly skilled and educated having come from an Anglo Saxon society that's been industrialized even before the USA. I can see where such skills would be in high demand.
Ireland is not Anglo-Saxon. Rivers of blood have been spilled to keep it from being overrun by the Anglos. Get it right.

It's all about networks. Most of the illegal Irish I know congregate in New York City and work for construction outfits run by older immigrants or second generation Irish-Americans who have connections to their families or towns. Others are bartenders in the several Irish bars where their accents are good for business.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Irish people are highly skilled and educated having come from an Anglo Saxon society that's been industrialized even before the USA. I can see where such skills would be in high demand.
Ireland didn't really become industrialized until the 1920s. There were pockets of industrialization in the North, but for the most part, it was an agricultural society until very recently. It's economy was very bad off until the 1980s.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
That's not true in every case. My girlfriend went through a very crappy situation in her college in California when they adopted an immigrant student initiative. Her and nearly every other student at the school was cast aside and was unable to enroll each semester due to the large influx of illegal students.
When was this? How can you possibly attribute this to illegal immigrants and not the massive financial crisis in the California state college system. I'm willing to bet these problems had very little to do with illegal immigrants.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,480,704 times
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

The topic is drifting way off course, lets drift back to original discussion please.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 12:59 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,634,683 times
The Titanic sank...

just like this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte