Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
American dream or legal citizens nightmare? The American dream is for those here legally.
Well, high school graduation rate in CMS is at 73.5%... the vast majority of that 26.5% not graduating are legal citizens. Legal citizens with no skills who are way more likely to end up being a "nightmare" for the rest than the kids helped by this teacher, who will be college educated.

The problem is that the state will get a grand total of $0 from these college educated kids, since they won't be able to work given their immigration status. They will take their college education somewhere else and succeed here.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The Charlotte Observer should be ashamed of itself for promoting this sort of thing no matter how much they try to weasel word it. She is a teacher helping illegal aliens take college seats away from citizens. Oh silly me, I forgot that the Observe now uses off-shore labor to produce the paper and the Americans that once did it are on the street. It's very similar to Americans that will lose a seat in college because it's become more newsworthy to promote a teacher who helps "undocumented" students get there instead.
Um, the story was from WBTV.

What you're saying makes little sense. College admissions isn't a zero-sum game.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
American dream or legal citizens nightmare? The American dream is for those here legally.
I thought I'd responded to this yesterday but maybe I didin't.

Quote:
Yet you didn't actually say what was incorrect about what I posted.
I thought the same thing. That post was the equivalent of just saying "You're wrong".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
There's a reason: Since I'm 99% certain that my post will be deleted for "personal attack" I thought why bother? I'm not here to try and make people think about what they are saying or to change their minds. They can do that on their own. At the same time when I read something that is just plain hogwash I feel compelled to voice my opinion.
Well then don't make it a personal attack. Point out what you feel is incorrect about the post, not the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Don't we have enough of our own mediocre students who cannot get a job and are crumbling under huge student debt? Too many college graduates with no real change of landing a job because they are just after a diploma, not the dream of making something extraordinary with their life.
If these "illegal" students managed to get into college under own merits, they must be extraordinary students.

We need more "extraordinary" to lead us into the future, world is full of "ordinary".
I agree. Too many people stumble through their education, ending up with little to show for it. Everyone involved is to blame for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Well, high school graduation rate in CMS is at 73.5%... the vast majority of that 26.5% not graduating are legal citizens. Legal citizens with no skills who are way more likely to end up being a "nightmare" for the rest than the kids helped by this teacher, who will be college educated.

The problem is that the state will get a grand total of $0 from these college educated kids, since they won't be able to work given their immigration status. They will take their college education somewhere else and succeed here.
This is what I thought I'd posted yesterday. The grad rate is even lower in other systems. At least the kids in the story are succeeding on their own merits. As you say, many of our legal citizens are not taking advantage of the opportunities afforded by being here.

We let these illegal/undocumenteds in. It's our fault, and now we have to deal with the situation. We're obviously not making any dent in that demographic by sending a few back. Maybe we need a tiered system-citizens get first shot at opportunities, then it trickles down from there. If we can't keep them out, maybe we can stack the deck for our citizens. Make being legal actually worth something.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Um, the story was from WBTV.

What you're saying makes little sense. College admissions isn't a zero-sum game.
I stand corrected on which media reported it. WBTV is particularly bad about promoting the new social theme of today. However the content of what I've posted hasn't changed. If you are in the United States, outside of the legal process, then you are an illegal alien.

This means, for one thing, that officials being paid by the taxpayer should not be assisting illegal aliens to gain admissions to any college or university that also receives money from the US taxpayer either directly or indirectly and this includes tax exempt status. College admissions is a zero sum game because every student in one of these institutions costs the public money. Why should the hard working taxpayer be asked to support illegals?

If supporters are wanting so bad to let all the illegal aliens into the country then do the hard work and get the Constitution amended to give these people rights in the USA, which also brings responsibility too. But don't justify breaking the law by changing the description of these people.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
This means, for one thing, that officials being paid by the taxpayer should not be assisting illegal aliens to gain admissions to any college or university that also receives money from the US taxpayer either directly or indirectly and this includes tax exempt status. College admissions is a zero sum game because every student in one of these institutions costs the public money. Why should the hard working taxpayer be asked to support illegals?
I don't think you understand what zero-sum game means. One undocumented student attending college does not mean one legal student can't attend. It really doesn't work that way.

And come off this "taxpayer" nonsense. Teachers are paid for their work. That little bit of money is not yours or mine, it is theirs. Non-profits are tax-exempt because they provide a socially valuable service. JC Smith is a private university and can do as it pleases.

Quote:
If supporters are wanting so bad to let all the illegal aliens into the country then do the hard work and get the Constitution amended to give these people rights in the USA, which also brings responsibility too. But don't justify breaking the law by changing the description of these people.
So, kids brought by their parents at age 3 or 4, who have grown up in America, attended American schools, etc., are lawbreakers? It's a lot more complex than you want to make it.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I thought I'd responded to this yesterday but maybe I didin't.

I thought the same thing. That post was the equivalent of just saying "You're wrong".

Well then don't make it a personal attack. Point out what you feel is incorrect about the post, not the person.

I really thought that I've stated my position here. If not let me restate: what I responded to is hogwash and opinion of an uninformed person regarding terminology of immigration law.

Plain and simple.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,024 times
Quote:
College admissions is a zero sum game because every student in one of these institutions costs the public money. Why should the hard working taxpayer be asked to support illegals?
I believe out-of-state paying students pay the full cost of their education. Not sure about UNC, but that's how it is at other state universities.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post

Well said...and the root of the real "American Dream". It's like "Just Do it" for the undocumented, legal, and illegal" young people. Others, including supporters of "boo hoo, they are taking my job" attitude need some sort of excuse. This is a goooood one! for them.

Stop itching and get it done without worrying about stories like this.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Quote:
I don't think you understand what zero-sum game means. One undocumented student attending college does not mean one legal student can't attend. It really doesn't work that way.
How does it work then? Don't colleges have a limited number of acceptances?

[/quote]And come off this "taxpayer" nonsense. Teachers are paid for their work. That little bit of money is not yours or mine, it is theirs. Non-profits are tax-exempt because they provide a socially valuable service. JC Smith is a private university and can do as it pleases..[/quote]

Where does this teacher pay come from? Where do the Title III government funds that JS Smith gets come from?

[/quote]So, kids brought by their parents at age 3 or 4, who have grown up in America, attended American schools, etc., are lawbreakers? It's a lot more complex than you want to make it.[/quote]

Doesn't matter how complex it is. The law is the law. Why don't these kids and their parents and teachers follow it? I think if you want to live here you should have to follow our laws - like them or not.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
It does or the taxpayer pays more for two positions where one was needed before. There are no free rides as someone pays for it no matter how much people want to spin it otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte