U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,156 posts, read 3,625,955 times

Advertisements

After four l-o-n-g years, I will finally be moving to South Charlotte !

While I have a fair handle on local restaurants and parks, I still have questions on where I can find a good, old fashioned barber (simple and cheap); where I might find staples like good, farm fresh, but fair priced (meaning fair market value) produce; good, but fair priced chicken and steak.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 01:06 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,449,016 times
There is a Farmers Market here every Tuesday on Ardrey Kell Road by Lorenzo's pizza. The prices at "Whats Your Beef" in Ballantyne Quad are reasonable and the meat is very good. He also makes great home made sausage and meatballs.
Welcome!!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:46 AM

152 posts, read 250,882 times
Where will you be on South Charlotte?? Have you selected a development?
Good luck with your move!!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
NDL-- I will ask my hubby about his barber. Took him several years to find. He is in S. CLT but I don't know his name or location, lol. When I get that, I will DM you.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,369,763 times
Ani, send that info to me as well if you don't mind. It's almost impossible to find a good barber that doesn't charge $20 for a simple clean-up.

Good to hear NDL. You should update us on the move when you guys get down here. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Ani, send that info to me as well if you don't mind. It's almost impossible to find a good barber that doesn't charge $20 for a simple clean-up.

Good to hear NDL. You should update us on the move when you guys get down here. Good luck.
Absolutely! I just have to remember to ask him, lol. Hubby had a 25 year relationship with his former barber so finding someone who could work with his curly (now thinning!) hair and not cut too short was a very frustrating experience. Someone recommended this barber to him, and the guy has a very loyal clientele. Glad to pass that info on once I get it.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:08 AM

NDL: Hubby and I have settled into a routine with finding our chicken and steak. We pretty much gave up on fish so unless our son brings us back fresh mahi mahi from a deep sea fishing trip (wh/ he did last evening! oh so good!) we just don't buy fresh fish here. If we buy, we buy frozen.

We sought out butchers and it was just too expensive for regular consumption. Now, others may not feel that way but we found we could watch the specials at Fresh Market and Harris Teeter - and even Food Lion - and get good buys on whole chickens, chicken breasts and various beef cuts. I have always had a freezer, so we buy meats on special and freeze them. This is NOT for everyone and I understand that. Some folks are purists and want to grill only aged beef and don't feel frozen beef is the same quality.

So i personally suggest you find some grocery stores where you like the way their butcher's counter looks - and check out the specials. Also, if you ask the butchers what is going on sale or what they are geting ready to mark down, they will often help you. We have found going early on a Sunday morning is also a good strategy to finding bargains.

I wlll say - I have gotten some great buys on lobster tails at Fresh Market, but again - we have to watch the specials to cash in on those types of deals. I don't mind frozen seafood at all as I don't trust that it is all "fresh" even when advertised as such (shrimp is often frozen and then displayed on ice as if fresh). We get the best crown roasts for those special occasions at Fresh Market, as well.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
Where will you be on South Charlotte?? Have you selected a development?
Good luck with your move!!
Shirlgirl, thank you very much I/we've selected Olde Providence South...

Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NDL-- I will ask my hubby about his barber. Took him several years to find. He is in S. CLT but I don't know his name or location, lol. When I get that, I will DM you.
I look forward to that DM. Thanks for taking the time to ask him for me

Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post

Thanks Peyton

Would you believe that a barber runs around $10 up here (and if I drive a bit, I can get a good cut for $7)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or