U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:40 AM

54 posts, read 144,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
I would make sure these are friends you can trust, who will be around, who will pay their portion of the bill. Because with Verizon you sign a 2 year contract. If one of your friends doesn't pay their portion, the account holder is ultimately responsible for that total bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Verizon started a family share plan a few days ago. Unlimited phone and messaging and 1 shared/pooled data plan that everyone uses.
Thanks!
But how can we determine each person's portion of the data plan? Will it be included in the paper bill or at the website as well as the charges per phone lines (calls and texts)?

And another point; in spite of that we've not chosen between ATT and Verizon, we dont know weather it's wise to sign a 2yr contract or not. The prices for phone devices are tempting, but you know, I have never had a good sense toward such a long-term contracts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 AM

972 posts, read 2,141,564 times
Verizon gives us detailed usage infomation online by each cell phone. So, if all the text data is used up, phone numbers start showing a 20 cent charge for each text. However, it doesn't take into account if someone else used all the texts up first, so you can't go by just that. For example, say my son used up all the alloted texts. The next text my daugther sends will show a 20 cent charge on her phone number even though her brother sent thousands and she sent only one text.

If you can't figure out a fair way to divide the costs, then sharing a plan is probably too complicated for this situation. There's nothing to stop one person from using up all the shared data and minutes in the plan. Whomever's name is listed as the primary account holder is putting himself at a lot of risk. That person is responsible for the bill regardless of how its divided up in real life.

ETA: you can get data plans for individual phones but that really adds up fast.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:06 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
Not sure how to view data for individual phones. I just got a Verizon contract with 2 phones. Nothing too fancy, 2 $99 Droids with a mail in rebate for $100.

I went in to browse because we had 15 days left on our Virgin Mobile account but they hooked me when they offered to wave the activation fee ($36 per phone). They also tried to buy my Virgin Mobile Phones for $20 but I think we can get more on ebay.

They have a data meter that shows how much data is used in our pool so we know if we get close to our 2G limit.

I can make phone calls again! My wife was on the phone and she was leaning on our "reception window" and I had to remind her she can actually move around while talking! LOL...

Not too happy about the 2 year contract but I tried prepaid and learned the hard way. Wasted money on 2 phones and crappy service that ended up costing us more money because we missed important phone calls. Maybe Cricket/Straight Talk or others work well but I couldn't take it anymore.

My bill is $156 (2 phones) a month with unlimited talk and text and 2GB of data. Hopefully we aren't data hogs but if we are we can get 4 GB's for $10 more a month.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Not sure how to view data for individual phones.
Sign into your online account. It shows details by phone.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Verizon gives us detailed usage infomation online by each cell phone. So, if all the text data is used up, phone numbers start showing a 20 cent charge for each text. However, it doesn't take into account if someone else used all the texts up first, so you can't go by just that. For example, say my son used up all the alloted texts. The next text my daugther sends will show a 20 cent charge on her phone number even though her brother sent thousands and she sent only one text.

If you can't figure out a fair way to divide the costs, then sharing a plan is probably too complicated for this situation. There's nothing to stop one person from using up all the shared data and minutes in the plan. Whomever's name is listed as the primary account holder is putting himself at a lot of risk. That person is responsible for the bill regardless of how its divided up in real life.

ETA: you can get data plans for individual phones but that really adds up fast.
If you are a new customer the share plan gives you unlimited text and phone... no text charges or overages.

I agree though... whoever puts their name on the bill is taking a huge risk. Judge Judy, Judge Brown, Judge Mathis.. they are getting rich due to all the cell phone cases they show on TV. LOL

Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Sign into your online account. It shows details by phone.
Yeah, most accounts show all your details online.

I was thinking about an app for your phone. They have one for all of our data but not for individual usage (as far as I know)

Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, most accounts show all your details online.

I was thinking about an app for your phone. They have one for all of our data but not for individual usage (as far as I know)
Have you tried the text number in your contacts labeled data? I haven't but it might be by phone. My phone has unlimited data, so its not an issue. They don't offer that option currently, though, for the price I got it, so I'm the only droid in the family. Sticker shock when we priced adding one for my husband!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
If you are a new customer the share plan gives you unlimited text and phone... no text charges or overages.
Do you happen to know if that's unlimited data, too? Or is data the 2GB with option to upgrade you referenced in another post.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Do you happen to know if that's unlimited data, too? Or is data the 2GB with option to upgrade you referenced in another post.
Definitely not unlimited Data. That's 2GB's total for 2 phones. You can add in intervals of 2GB's at $10 I believe.

I know Sprint has unlimited Data but some say it's spotty or slow. Not sure if that's the truth or jealousy from rivals...

Most articles talking about Verizon's new share plans are predicting ATT and the other big carriers are going to move in that direction. A lot of people on forums said they would move from Verizon due to the price hike some will see..data hogs and large families with kids will definitely see an increase.

However, when I looked at Verizon vs ATT, Verizon was cheaper (on paper). I have 14 days to decide but I'm sure we will stay because Verizon coverage is the best. More expensive than some of the others but reliable.

ATT came close but they are still charging for messaging and honestly, we've had too many issues with ATT and there fuzzy math.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:32 PM

245 posts, read 808,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishMan View Post
Thanks!
But how can we determine each person's portion of the data plan? Will it be included in the paper bill or at the website as well as the charges per phone lines (calls and texts)?

And another point; in spite of that we've not chosen between ATT and Verizon, we dont know weather it's wise to sign a 2yr contract or not. The prices for phone devices are tempting, but you know, I have never had a good sense toward such a long-term contracts!
First, I will address the fact that someone else mentioned Verizon now charges a $36 upgrade fee which is absolutely ridiculous! I upgraded my phone before April 22, 2012 and didn't get hit with it but my husband upgraded in May and got hit with it plus taxes and a charge for his RAZR and accessories he got sucked into. Infuriating that they should do this to loyal customers who are already re-signing another 2 year contract plus buying a new phone from them. I argued it over the phone with a Verizon rep who agreed with me but couldn't remove the charge.

Now that I got that off my chest I can share with you how I determine each person's portion of the plan:

Data: First of all since we've had the account for 5 years both my sons got in on the unlimited data plans for $29.99 each, so they never have to worry about going over their data charges unless they go out of the country. So first off the bat each son gets charged $29.99.

Next, since my husband and I finally upgraded to smartphones (because our ancient devices starting dying) we had to have data plans. They no longer offer the unlimited plans like my sons have. So we each have a plan for $30 for our data. We don't look at movies or videos or do alot of music or youtube stuff so we picked the lowest data plan. We can check data usage online or directly on our phones, there's an app for that. So now my husband and I each get charged $30.00. We also chose to have insurance so there's an extra charge we both have for that.

Texting: We all have unlimited texting.

Minutes: Long ago I chose a 2,000 minute plan but we barely used all those minutes and they do not carry over month to month, so I reduced our minutes by reviewing the plan online (you can look at all your months and compare total minute usage). I also discussed it with a Verizon rep. So I lowered our plan to 1200 minutes and I keep an eye on it. We never use the total minutes. You also can go onto your online account and add 10 people on the friends and family they offer. You add non-Verizon customers, friends or relatives you talk to alot. They charge one fee for the plan, let's say $110 and then $9.99 for each additional line.

I calculate each person's individual cost such as their data plan, any ringtones they purchased, or Get It Now downloads, etc. This will be listed per each phone line. And get a total for each individual.

Then I subtract each persons individual total (I don't include the many taxes at this point) from the grand billing total that's due. I then take that remaining balance and divide it by 4. This gives an even and fair amount that each person owes for the remaining plan.

Sounds confusing? Here I'll break it down with actual numbers -

Total bill $300

Son #1- Data $29.99 = $29.99
Son #2 - Data $29.99 = $29.99
Husband - Data $30.00 & insurance $6.99 = $36.99
Me - Data $30.00 + insurance $6.99 = $36.99

Subtotal of each of our costs = $133.96

Total bill due $300.00
Minus grand total of individual costs - $133.96
Balance then is $166.04

Now divide the $164.04 by 4 = $41.51

Now add the $41.51 to each person's individual cost (their data plans, etc.)

Example:
Son #1 - 29.99 + 41.51 = $71.50
Son #2 - 29.99 + 41.51 = $71.50
Husband owes - 36.99 + 41.51 = $78.50
I owe - 36.99 + 41.51 = $78.50

Total collected is $300.00 for the bill amount.
Whew, I hope that helped....I spent way too much time, typing all that I get a bit anal and overly organized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte