U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,959,676 times
Reputation: 1272

Advertisements

Revealed: The manliest cities (and the gayest neighbourhoods) in the U.S. | Mail Online

Charlotte's peers on this list:

  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Columbia, SC
  • Memphis, TN
  • Nashville, TN
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Houston, TX
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Toledo, OH
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Charlotte, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2012, 04:50 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times
Reputation: 14926
Charlotte I guess has become less manly. Charlotte was #1 in 2010 and #2 in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Charlotte I guess has become less manly. Charlotte was #1 in 2010 and #2 in 2011.
Silly list.

Manliness is all in the eye of the beholder.

As far as I am concerned, that list doesn't even start to meet my expectations, lol.

Bozeman, Montana has the manliest men. And they are not even on the list.

Neither is Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Any city/town with a Naval, Army or Air Force Academy has some of the manliest men in the entire nation. And let's not forget Marines . . . and I don't see any of those cities on that list, either.

I can't even imagine how any of those cities were chosen, frankly.

OK City . . . maybe . . . out on the ranches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 AM
 
5,901 posts, read 7,753,650 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Silly list.

Manliness is all in the eye of the beholder.

As far as I am concerned, that list doesn't even start to meet my expectations, lol.

Bozeman, Montana has the manliest men. And they are not even on the list.

Neither is Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Any city/town with a Naval, Army or Air Force Academy has some of the manliest men in the entire nation. And let's not forget Marines . . . and I don't see any of those cities on that list, either.

I can't even imagine how any of those cities were chosen, frankly.

OK City . . . maybe . . . out on the ranches.
It was only out of 50 major metro areas. So Bozeman, Montana and and Jackson Hole Wyoming were not included.

As to how it was determined:

Quote:
The study compiles manly city data such as the number of home improvement stores, steak houses and manly occupations per capita. But even if a city has a fair share of manly traits, unmanly or "girly" factors, like a high concentration of nail salons and fancy shopping boutiques can bump cities to the bottom of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
It was only out of 50 major metro areas. So Bozeman, Montana and and Jackson Hole Wyoming were not included.

As to how it was determined:
Yes, I saw their criteria, which is exactly why i said it was a SILLY LIST. The criteria is ridiculous. Plus, if you are really going for "the manliest men" designation, you would go for a per capita methodology focusing entirely on MEN, not base it on size of the region or such things as nail salons.

I personally like a man who gets a manicure and pedicure. That is VERY manly to take good care of personal grooming, even tho this silly list seems to indicate that A. only girlie men would do such things and/or B. only women use nail salons.

I stick to my original statement. The list is SILLY. And manliness is all in the eye of the beholder. One person's hunky manly man may be another person's troll, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
An interesting article on "manliness" would be one on say . . . manly Fire Departments, Police Departments in small burgs or districts within a city. . . along with their contributions to the community . . . then maybe the list wouldn't be so SILLY, lol.

Or for Father's Day, how about a list of cities with the highest ratio of fathers who PAY THEIR CHILD SUPPORT. That is a very manly thing and actually says something about the men who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
4,761 posts, read 6,444,182 times
Reputation: 5277
Sorry about the drop in ranking. I've been trying to take it easy this past year. I will up my game for the 2013 list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Sorry about the drop in ranking. I've been trying to take it easy this past year. I will up my game for the 2013 list.
It's all your fault, Spanky. I am booking you an appointment for a pedicure and I want you to report back how often you are working out and how many deer you bagged last season, how many linear feet of lumber you bought and what you constructed with it, and how many baseball games you coached. Plus, I want a documented list of all state and national parks you visited and how many trails you hiked. A little bear wrestling wouldn't hurt, but shooting a coyote (outside city limits, of course) could significantly up your score.

We are watching. A city is depending on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 09:44 AM
 
5,901 posts, read 7,753,650 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
An interesting article on "manliness" would be one on say . . . manly Fire Departments, Police Departments in small burgs or districts within a city. . . along with their contributions to the community . . . then maybe the list wouldn't be so SILLY, lol.

Or for Father's Day, how about a list of cities with the highest ratio of fathers who PAY THEIR CHILD SUPPORT. That is a very manly thing and actually says something about the men who live there.
I didn't say the criteria wasn't silly. It is. But I don't see a problem with them not including every city with a population over 30,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I didn't say the criteria wasn't silly. It is. But I don't see a problem with them not including every city with a population over 30,000 people.
Phil, stop debating the criteria and go work out. Spanky is doing his part. Go mow a lawn, drink a six pack and put something on the grill.

It's Saturday. Time for Manly Man activities. Report back after you have stained the deck and marinated your steaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top