U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,279,961 times

Advertisements

I am happy for the rise of comfort over style and functionality over form. Except in a few rare cases like weddings, etc., there is absolutely no reason to dress in stifling attire that doesn't allow any sort of activity and that costs too much to clean.

An overemphasis on "dressing up" is just pretension. A way of keeping blue collar folks out of "nicer" restaurants.

And in the workplace, a way for people with little substance to feel superior to those with real talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,126,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I am happy for the rise of comfort over style and functionality over form. Except in a few rare cases like weddings, etc., there is absolutely no reason to dress in stifling attire that doesn't allow any sort of activity and that costs too much to clean.

An overemphasis on "dressing up" is just pretension. A way of keeping blue collar folks out of "nicer" restaurants.

And in the workplace, a way for people with little substance to feel superior to those with real talent.
Once again, I agree with you coped. I despise dressing in anything but jeans and a comfortable shirt. I think that people should dress however they are comfortable, but, sometimes people with a low self esteem dress to the teeth so that they are noticed. I know one young woman who has been out of work for more than 2 years that attends my church. Now, my church is made up of mostly young people and the dress code is...well, there is no dress code. hahahaha! Yet, this young woman comes to church every week in a new dress/outfit and new shoes, new jewelry...she actually kind of stands out because she is so overdressed for the environment. She also has an extremely poor self esteem and always worries about "what people think". Our church is VERY laid-back and, if people think anything, they probably wonder why she dresses so fancy and 2. how she can possibly afford to dress that way whilst unemployed. (she lives at home and we suspect Mom is financing it). I've tried to tell her that dressing so fancy is not necessary at this church...but, there is always "what will people think"...suspect this is also Mom provided. Just another example of how some people tend to equate how one dresses with whether or not you are "acceptable"!

I also see the complete hypocrisy at work where you are supposed to be "business casual" and people show up in things that are technically within the "letter of the law" as it were but would be better served at a beach party or in some kind of oober casual party...and have nobody say anything because that person is a "fav". The rest of us have our proverbial feet held to the fire of decorum and professionalism because we are not quite the type of person that would allow the difference (if you catch my drift).

Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,268,336 times
Yawn. I work at one of Charlotte's finest restaurants, and I can tell you for the most part we could care how you are dressed. Things we aren't a big fan of, are sport jersey's, hats on in the restaurant, and tank tops on a man. Other than that who cares. Oh I love when women show the cleavage off.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

lol. Dressing appropriately has nothing to do with pretention. It has to do with decorum and good grooming. And for some, personal style.

pretention is when someone is trying to convey something they aren't, i.e. carrying a recognizable label handbag they cannot afford, hoping that will convince others they have money.

Being casual but appropriate isn't stuffy nor is it uncomfortable. Sloppy is not attractive in any setting.

no one is trying to separate people into classes by requesting nice attire. If a person can afford to eat in any
given restaurant, then who cares whether they are blue collar, white collar, Trustafarians or retired? No one.

In the workplace, dressing appropriately depends on the nature of your job.

Pretentious or snobbish folks are no less pretentious or snobbish when naked, I have noticed.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:22 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,928,541 times
It's just Bonterra. No possessive apostrophe needed.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:32 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,124,033 times
One should dress at least as classy as the joint in which they are dining. I hate dressing up but even I wouldn't show up at Ruth Chris in sandals.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,374,209 times
The best way to solve this:

1) stay at home
b) only go to restaurants that have strict dress codes

Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,374,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Once again, I agree with you coped. I despise dressing in anything but jeans and a comfortable shirt. I think that people should dress however they are comfortable, but, sometimes people with a low self esteem dress to the teeth so that they are noticed. I know one young woman who has been out of work for more than 2 years that attends my church. Now, my church is made up of mostly young people and the dress code is...well, there is no dress code. hahahaha! Yet, this young woman comes to church every week in a new dress/outfit and new shoes, new jewelry...she actually kind of stands out because she is so overdressed for the environment. She also has an extremely poor self esteem and always worries about "what people think". Our church is VERY laid-back and, if people think anything, they probably wonder why she dresses so fancy and 2. how she can possibly afford to dress that way whilst unemployed. (she lives at home and we suspect Mom is financing it). I've tried to tell her that dressing so fancy is not necessary at this church...but, there is always "what will people think"...suspect this is also Mom provided. Just another example of how some people tend to equate how one dresses with whether or not you are "acceptable"!

I also see the complete hypocrisy at work where you are supposed to be "business casual" and people show up in things that are technically within the "letter of the law" as it were but would be better served at a beach party or in some kind of oober casual party...and have nobody say anything because that person is a "fav". The rest of us have our proverbial feet held to the fire of decorum and professionalism because we are not quite the type of person that would allow the difference (if you catch my drift).
yeah... it's a shame what people will spend money on to feel good about themselves. Nothing wrong with the finer things in life if you can afford them but too many times it's the poor or average joe overspending to feed their esteem.

I have a friend and his girlfriend is all about luxury items and convinced him to buy a Lexus. He keeps telling me I need a new car but my Chrysler 2000 is paid off and runs just fine. Don't get me wrong, his car is nice but the payments and gas are insane.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:02 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,124,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Funny, at my work almost every male dresses over the business casual code. I am about the only guy who shows up in Polo shirts and khakis every day.

The gals are a different story, they very often don't dress to code but no one will say boo to them.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 PM

404 posts, read 737,903 times
I think dress codes are overrated. If you can afford the food it shouldn't matter what you wear. If I'm walking around in shorts and a tshirt because its hot out and I'm in the mood for a nice meal I should be able to go wherever I want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte