Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,007,270 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed at the guys who will show up at a nicer restaurant in shorts and sneakers. That's OK in Applebee's and Chili's, but in a place like Maggiano's and better, it seems out of place. Yeah, I guess it's a sign of the economic times that an establishment doesn't want to turn anybody away, but I view the shorts in a restaurant as the equivalent of the folks in the Harris Teeter and Walmart wearing pajamas -- just sheer laziness and lack of self respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,491,257 times
Patrons should take them seriously but I have unknowingly showed at places in violation of the dress code and was let in. The guy at the door can make his own judgement in some places.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,095,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I'm amazed at the guys who will show up at a nicer restaurant in shorts and sneakers. That's OK in Applebee's and Chili's, but in a place like Maggiano's and better, it seems out of place. Yeah, I guess it's a sign of the economic times that an establishment doesn't want to turn anybody away, but I view the shorts in a restaurant as the equivalent of the folks in the Harris Teeter and Walmart wearing pajamas -- just sheer laziness and lack of self respect.

Maggiano's? I've been there in cargo shorts and a T-Shirt a few weeks ago. Sorry, but I don't think it's a dress up kind of place. Perhaps you meant something else?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,491,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Maggiano's? I've been there in cargo shorts and a T-Shirt a few weeks ago. Sorry, but I don't think it's a dress up kind of place. Perhaps you meant something else?
Glad someone else agreed with me. I don't think Maggiano's is a "dress up" place either. Maybe if you are in the banquet room or something, then I would dress nicely.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,058,797 times
No, Maggiano's is casual dining and kid friendly, on par with the Cheesecake Factory.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM

15,360 posts, read 12,544,787 times
Quote:
I don't view cargo shorts and a T in a restaurant on the same level as pajama pants and slippers at Walmart.

As long as the person in shorts is clean I don't think it says anything about them except they value comfort over "style"... especially in the summer. If I'm paying I should be able to wear whatever the heck I want unless there really is a dress code or I have a business meeting.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,769,351 times
Funny, we just had this conversation a week or 2 ago. I remember back in the day when you went somewhere like a Mortons all of the men were wearing sport coats, maybe not a tie but at least a coat.

Now it seems like anything goes....the new style of jeans which is darker and slightly worn like a pair of Lucky Brand is unfortunately acceptable. I try and at least wear a nice pair of khakis and a collard shirt when going anywhere considered "Nice".

It does bother me when I'm in somewhere like the Capital Grille and see people in shorts and t-shirts and long for the day when that was unacceptable.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,361,216 times
Quote:
Yes, reallly..... you don't have to get dressed up for overcooked pasta cooked for the masses. Maggiano's is one step above ordering at the counter.

But I agree with places with some expectations. If I feel I have to make reservations, I get dressed up. If I'm hungry after going to Sports authority and the dollar store.... not so much.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:05 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,353,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
DH and I ate at Bonterra's in South End last night and had a really great experience. It was truly a nice date night - something we don't do nearly enough!

The food was phenomenal, portion sizes were appropriate, service was attentive, everyone was friendly, etc. It really was one of my better dining experiences in Charlotte.

Our reservation was for 8 PM. I mistakenly told DH that the dress code was business attire. I thought that's what I had read somewhere on either their website or a site where reviews are made. But, I decided to take another look this morning and it appears that the dress code is actually business casual.

DH actually wore a suit - jacket and tie included. I wore an appropriate dress. As soon as we walked in, DH gave me "the look". We were overdressed. He said, "I knew I didn't need this jacket and tie." Then he took off both. All around us there were people in blue jeans, skirts barely below the women's behinds, cleavage - you get the picture. Even the bartender, a very attractive young lady, had on a black lacy dress that left nothing to the imagination when she bent over and DH remarked that the lace and brevity gave her the appearance of being clad in lingerie.

We're not prudes. DH is very blue collar in all regards. But I was surprised as this wasn't at all what I expected of a restaurant that bills itself as "elegant dining" and "upscale". We enjoyed every bit of our meals from the starters to dessert. But, I know DH would have been even happier and more relaxed if I hadn't insisted that he unnecessarily put on a full suit.
It's across the nation. No one dresses much anymore for anything. Personally, it makes me sad.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Funny, we just had this conversation a week or 2 ago. I remember back in the day when you went somewhere like a Mortons all of the men were wearing sport coats, maybe not a tie but at least a coat.

Now it seems like anything goes....the new style of jeans which is darker and slightly worn like a pair of Lucky Brand is unfortunately acceptable. I try and at least wear a nice pair of khakis and a collard shirt when going anywhere considered "Nice".

It does bother me when I'm in somewhere like the Capital Grille and see people in shorts and t-shirts and long for the day when that was unacceptable.
^ ^ ^ Exactly my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte