Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Who cares? Obviously, the restaurants that have a dress code care and so do the patrons who go to an upscale restaurant to have a "special night out."

If you don't care about having a special night out, dressing up for your spouse/significant other, then I guess you wouldn't understand. Not putting you down, GoPhils. I guess the same things are not important to all people and this is just one of those things.
The night is special to you but it may not be special to the slob who likes the steak at the same restaurant.

People who are that worried about what everyone else is wearing should find a restaurant that enforces a dress code and only go there when they want things to be special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The night is special to you but it may not be special to the slob who likes the steak at the same restaurant.

People who are that worried about what everyone else is wearing should find a restaurant that enforces a dress code and only go there when they want things to be special.
Welll, that IS what we are discussing - that restaurants who DO have a dress code are not always enforcing it. So just b/c you know a restaurant HAS a dress code, and you choose it b/c you want to have a special night out, it appears many are NOT enforcing it.

I think the point of the discussion was more or less . . . why have a dress code if you are not enforcing it . . . and it changed into . . . why do people care how others are dressed?

It doesn't matter if people do or do not care how others are dressed. All the psycho-social babble that has occurred on this thread did not even have a thing to do with the OP's question: are these dress codes taken seriously by anyone, including management, any longer.

Dress codes are put into effect to keep a level of decorum in an establishment. Sometimes, they are instituted for health and safety (risk management) reasons, such as flip flops being banned b/c they are slippery and a patron may easily fall, causing a liability issue for the business. Sometimes, dress codes exist b/c an establishment wishes to keep the ambience of the restaurant or other establishment at a certain level of good manners and decorum, befitting the environment patrons expect when they spend a wad of cash on a "special dining experience." It doesn't feel like a "luxury" moment if you look around and others are sitting there in T-shirts and shorts. Plain and simple. You don't show up at a black tie event in shorts. HELLO. It is called DECORUM AND GOOD MANNERS. If you aren't into that type of thing, don't go to that type of restaurant. God knows there are plenty out there that don't require anything other than you coming up with a way to pay the tab.

WHY anyone does or does not choose to dine in a restaurant with a dress code is not even the discussion.

My feeling is - who gives a rat's patootie WHY someone chooses a restaurant with a dress code. IF one exists, patrons should respect it and management should enforce it. PERIOD.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Well, there is a simple solution...

You can let the restaurant know how you really feel about their lack of enforcing the dress code...

and on the way out, point out the offenders.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Well, there is a simple solution...

You can let the restaurant know how you really feel about their lack of enforcing the dress code...

and on the way out, point out the offenders.
I suppose one could do that!

Seems that is about the only solution we can offer the OP.

For me, personally, I rarely eat out here in Charlotte, but I have wondered why folks here seem to have created a culture of dressing down when this used to be a fairly "prepped out" town. I assume the folks who really like dressing up and spending the bucks on food are probably dining at their clubs, where such things as ambience, dress code and conformity are taken more seriously.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
All around us there were people in blue jeans, skirts barely below the women's behinds, cleavage - you get the picture.

While we do on occasion, "dress up" for dinner, even at an upscale restaurant, it is usually more due to the occasion than anything else (although that may be at a place where a higher dress code is enforced). For example, I wore a jacket and tie when we went to McNinch House sometime back for our freinds' anniversary dinner.

But more often than not, even when dining at upscale places such as The Palm, Fig Tree, Passion 8, BLT, Capital Grille, etc., unless we are going out afterwards (say, to the theater) where dress pants and / or a jacket and tie is more appropriate, I usually just put on a nice pair of jeans (clean, no tears or holes), a collared shirt and a pair of loafers.

I have eaten at fine dining restaurants in many areas of the U.S. and abroad where my choice of outfit is not at all uncommon when compared to the other patrons. I would never go to one of these places in a pair of torn jeans and sporting my faded Motley Crue t-shirt...but I don't always feel that I need to dress to the nines to just go out to dinner either, even if it is a more upscale place. if I do, it is often just because I want to be a bit more dapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I'm amazed at the guys who will show up at a nicer restaurant in shorts and sneakers. That's OK in Applebee's and Chili's, but in a place like Maggiano's and better, it seems out of place.

Funny - I never would have thought of Maggiano's as any more upscale than a TGI Friday's. Its just a half-step above Olive Garden really, not "fine dining." The few times we have eaten at the one in Charlotte is because we were at the mall and decided to grab a bite last minute, which usually means I am in jeans and t-shirt. Although if we made a plan to actually go there, I wouldn't even think about how I was dressed as I consider that to be a casual restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I view the shorts in a restaurant as the equivalent of the folks in the Harris Teeter and Walmart wearing pajamas -- just sheer laziness and lack of self respect.
Yeah - at a nicer restaurant, I agree with the shorts, unless one is in an area where that is considered acceptable (such as beachy, resort type places). For example, shorts are quite common even at very high-end restaurants in places like Aruba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
It does bother me when I'm in somewhere like the Capital Grille and see people in shorts and t-shirts and long for the day when that was unacceptable.

I agree with that. Although I disagree that jeans are automatically a downgrade, no more so than khakis. I don't own any khakis myself - don't care for them, not my style. My closet is jeans, dress clothes and suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I am happy for the rise of comfort over style and functionality over form. Except in a few rare cases like weddings, etc., there is absolutely no reason to dress in stifling attire that doesn't allow any sort of activity and that costs too much to clean.

Some people just like to look good.

Quote:
An overemphasis on "dressing up" is just pretension. A way of keeping blue collar folks out of "nicer" restaurants. And in the workplace, a way for people with little substance to feel superior to those with real talent.

Quote:
Clothes are a shorthand for class.

Sometimes. Although what reflects "class" even more is simply knowing how to properly dress for a given occasion. While I may dress casually (in jeans) to go out to a more upscale restaurant, I still look nice. Certainly more well-dressed than I will likely be tomorrow night when I go see Iron Maiden.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I assume the folks who really like dressing up and spending the bucks on food are probably dining at their clubs, where such things as ambience, dress code and conformity are taken more seriously.
And to many people, the idea of a place where conformity is highly valued - except to the most basic ideals of human dignity - is the definition of hell.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

Sometimes. Although what reflects "class" even more is simply knowing how to properly dress for a given occasion. While I may dress casually (in jeans) to go out to a more upscale restaurant, I still look nice. Certainly more well-dressed than I will likely be tomorrow night when I go see Iron Maiden.
THIS!!!!

A great looking pair of well-cut jeans w/ a nice shirt is a very attractive and acceptable look when the dress code is "business casual." I agree - you don't have to wear khakis if you have well cut jeans.

You are so right . . . knowing how to dress to fit the occasion is classy.

Enjoy Iron Maiden.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
And to many people, the idea of a place where conformity is highly valued - except to the most basic ideals of human dignity - is the definition of hell.
Sure! They are the folks bucking a very simple request - business casual dress, lol.

Most folks, however, like looking sharp and fitting in and so we WANT to know the dress code at any given occasion.

I just received an invite to a GALA in Kansas City this August. Now, here in the South, you see the word "GALA" and you assume - Black Tie. Good thing I called and asked b/c it turns out - the dress code is BUSINESS ATTIRE. I don't care how strong your sense of self, I would have felt a little silly walking in wearing a long black evening dress whilst others were sitting there in suits. I am GLAD to know what the dress code is.

I don't find it a request to conform as much as a way to make sure everyone is on the same page with what to choose to wear - no ruminating about "how formal" one should dress.

And remember - for some of us - we love dressing up. The way I put myself together is a personal expression, even if the decisions of the day are simply - what jeans and sneakers to put on to wear around my house. Not everyone finds clothing to be the enemy.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:41 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,565 times
Quote:
Business casual means anything goes.
Where do you work?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Funny, at my work almost every male dresses over the business casual code. I am about the only guy who shows up in Polo shirts and khakis every day.

The gals are a different story, they very often don't dress to code but no one will say boo to them.
You must work where I do. The women where I work constantly violate dress code. Not only that, about two weeks ago, after someone asked our CEO during a company-wide meeting about addressing the dress code an e-mail was sent out to everyone with the rules for proper attire. Well, the younger women where I work seem to have ignored it because I constantly see the open-toed stiletto heels and very short skirts with a tank top or sleeveless shirt. Hey, this is nice dress if you are looking to hook up with some guys but this is a huge financial institution and it embarrasses me that some women dress this way to work. They are going to work, not a nightclub. Don't get me wrong, some of them look very sexy but when we have visitors to our campus and are looking to drop millions of dollars into our company this doesn't set a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte