Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 22,360 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Lake Norman, flexible location since my husband works from home. We know nothing about the area, but it looks beautiful! We wanted something in a good school district, not too much traffic but close to civilization, in a neighborhood with kids and preferable a clubhouse pool, near the water (waterview?) A place were there is not rental but where people live all year long. Our price range is around $550k.
And locations or neighborhoods come to mind?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
look into around Denver NC Triangle, NC and Webbs, NC you only have one traffic nightmare spot and no fix in near future at Highway 16 and Highway 73 and will become even worst when they finish these two shopping centers, but it is nothing compared to the west side of lake and it meets your needs that you stated. Good Schools Lakeviews and decent property taxes, and prices. A very smart investment area.

triangle, nc - Google Maps

school standings academically, peformance testing teacher peformances can be view here.
District Search Results Page

Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 PM

170 posts, read 644,200 times
I like, live, and work in Mooresville....I purposefully chose it because of the Iredell-Statesville School system. I would highly reccomend you look in Mooresville, in the ISS District area. 1/2 of Mooresville is in ISS and 1/2 is in the Mooresville Graded School District.

I can rattle off a TON Of great neighborhoods in your price range, it just depends on what you are exactly looking for in a home and a neighborhood. If you want, either post here your requirements or PM me and I'll give your a whole bunch of suggestions!

OH and taxes are lower in Iredell County as well... another perk!

Where are you moving from?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 AM

153 posts, read 477,997 times
Actually, we live within walking distance of the 16/73 intersection and have never experienced any traffic nightmares. We love it that we DON'T have traffic problems like Huntersville and Mooresville. We are just to the south of the 16/73 intersection. Schools here are national-award winning, too. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:05 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,385 times
hands down best investment right now would be to stay in Denver. Its not built out like Mooresville is and the school district it good. It's definetly alot quieter on that side and you are not too far from civilization. Denver would also be something that you can get for a decent price now and watch it go up as the area gets built up.

Check out the following subdivisions: Sailview, Verdict Ridge, and also Northview Harbor (in Sherrills Ford). We live in Sherrills Ford which is the next town North of Denver. We are on the northwest corner of Lake Norman right across the street from Lake Norman. Our subdivision doesn't have the ammenities you seek otherwise I would tell ya to look here.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirrrrrrrls View Post
Actually, we live within walking distance of the 16/73 intersection and have never experienced any traffic nightmares. We love it that we DON'T have traffic problems like Huntersville and Mooresville. We are just to the south of the 16/73 intersection. Schools here are national-award winning, too. Good luck!
Im sure traffic isnt bad for someone who is walking.

Between 7a,m and 7 p.m from Huntersville to Lincolnton you will pass on average 800 cars.
That is passing not including the ones you are following.

I wouldnt mislead someone to think there is not a traffic bottleneck at 73 and 16 the only way to go east and west unless someone was to head into congested Mooresville.

It is unincorporated town so city provided services are limited. It just the lesser of the traffic headache areas around the lake.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-26-2007 at 09:42 AM..

Old 09-26-2007, 07:42 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im sure traffic isnt bad for someone who is walking.

Between 7a,m and 7 p.m from Huntersville to Lincolnton you will pass on average 800 cars.
That is passing not including the ones you are following.

I wouldnt mislead someone to think there is not a traffic bottleneck at 73 and 16 the only way to go east and west unless someone was to head into congested Mooresville.

It is unincorporated town so city provided services are limited. It just the lesser of the traffic headache areas around the lake.

Thank you for saying this Sunny. Anyone thinking of living near the lake should know that a billion other people have found it an attractive place to live too! There is congestion galore in many places. I too would suggest living on the west side of the lake, even further north than Denver to Newton/Conover to get away from the hustle and bustle

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-26-2007 at 09:42 AM..

Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 AM

10 posts, read 33,032 times
Hi to all...I will be working in Statesville but only commuting there a couple day per week. We have 3 kids in elem and middle school which is my main concern. We can only spend 350 to 400 tops so I know we cant be on the lake. I'm worried about Denver area being too hard of a drive to statesville. Mooresville schools are great but lots of traffic...are these my only choices? Any other areas of great schools?
Thank you

Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
look into around Denver NC ... you only have one traffic nightmare spot and no fix in near future at Highway 16 and Highway 73 and will become even worst when they finish these two shopping centers,...
huh?
I'm not sure I understand you.

I live in Denver. I commute daily to South Charlotte for work. There IS a lot of construction going on along highway 73 between the "old" and "new" 16. And only time will tell what the opening of these new commercial centers will mean for the traffic in the area.

But for you to say there is "no fix in near future" I believe is incorrect. The "fix" is in the process as I type. Have you been up that way lately?

I've been pleasantly surprised at my commute time(s.) When school started up this fall, I really expected gridlock. But, my worst wait, typically, is the light on 16 at Triangle. I've not experienced as much traffic at 73 as I had expected. And they ARE working on the intersection right now, so extra lanes and turn lanes are in our near future. (What will be interesting is when they complete the next leg of "new" 16 up to Optimist Club Rd.)

Old 09-26-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
huh?
I'm not sure I understand you.

I live in Denver. I commute daily to South Charlotte for work. There IS a lot of construction going on along highway 73 between the "old" and "new" 16. And only time will tell what the opening of these new commercial centers will mean for the traffic in the area.

But for you to say there is "no fix in near future" I believe is incorrect. The "fix" is in the process as I type. Have you been up that way lately?

I've been pleasantly surprised at my commute time(s.) When school started up this fall, I really expected gridlock. But, my worst wait, typically, is the light on 16 at Triangle. I've not experienced as much traffic at 73 as I had expected. And they ARE working on the intersection right now, so extra lanes and turn lanes are in our near future. (What will be interesting is when they complete the next leg of "new" 16 up to Optimist Club Rd.)
I go that way to see my sweet heart in Vale NC and they count the load of traffic when they come to see me in Huntersville. (why I dont know they just like to count).
The road construction is not interferring with the flow of traffic at the stop light that only allows a few cars per change at old 16 and 73j.

The Lanes do not expand beyond the bridge or beyond old 16.
The lanes that are being put in are only lanes to bring traffic into the shopping center not to improve east to west traffic or improve traffic onto and off old 16 the main road to and from the developments in Denver.
There will have to be another stop light between the two existing stop light to allow traffic from the shopping centers to turn left onto 73 or cross the street and that stoplight will only around 500 feet from the two existing stoplight

There is no plan to widen 73 to accomindate the growth of that area in near future.

The expansion of 16 as you mention is only a proposed expansion if you look down from the bridge youi will see it still dirt and grass. So therefore no immediate relief in near future.

For the price range they are looking yes I suggest Denver but shouldnt mislead someone that there isnt a traffic problem in the area that is only get worst and will mirror 73 and 21 in huntersville in time.
And this isnt just rush hour traffic this is middle of the day as well.
Unless you expect the resident to not go to the fast food restaurants, gas, grtoceries or shop then there isnt a traffic problem.

As mention above I would highly suggest further north of the city you go the better.

Unless you 100 percent sure that right now if I meet you at 73 and 16 intersection and will not encounter traffic backup then you really should not mislead members.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-26-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte