U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Reputation: 22370

Advertisements

For anyone interested . . . this gives an overview of Appalachian English, but there are so many variances in this region - no way they can all be mentioned in one article!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,875 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8943
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, it is "right."

Back in college (undergrad, Lenoir-Rhyne) . . . we got into this whole "regional accent thing" and the professor and several of the students decided to try to categorize how many accents we could "hear" - just in the piedmont and northwestern part of NC.

We came up with at least 5 distinct accents, and we are just talking about PART of the counties in this state. I think we were looking primarily at pronunciation of words as well as dipthong slide and vowel pitch. I honestly do not remember all the distinctions we used - we were English majors, not linguists, and it was just a "fun" project.

We found differences between accent/pronunciations in Catawba County and Alexander County, for ex. We heard two different accents in Catawba County.

No way we could untangle all the differences . . . but some things did seem very consistent in speech depending on where folks grew up. One of the criteria was - we were trying to find folks whose families had been here since the 1700s (wh/ wasn't difficult at all at that time).

We decided there was a conscious effort with the more educated folks to pronounce words more clearly and with less of a "drawl" than the less educated folks. The Charlotte accent was so very different than the other counties west . . . and we concluded it was basically an "old money" accent, lol.

Of course, none of this was scientific . . . but it did make us realize the variance of regional speech patterns in this state and what influences - Scots, Irish, German, British, African - had worked their way into how we speak.

I spoke with a linquist once who said he could pinpoint within a few counties where I had grown up. I felt that was VERY unlikely, b/c I have worked very hard at developing my own "sound" with my speech (love my Southern accent, but don't like some of the pronunciations I grew up hearing). He gave me a written list of words to pronounce for him. The only one I can remember now was GREASY.

Until that moment, I never realized that I pronounce the word as GREEZY. (I put a Z where that S is). The rest of the world evidently says GREECY.

He located the spot I grew up within 75 miles. Unbelievable!
Thanks Ani.

LOL. . .greezy. . .a couple of varients of the MidAtlantic accent say greezy. You were not alone.

I've spoken with some people from Cherryville who pronounce the town. . .Cherryv'l or Chaiv'l. When I asked numerous natives about Churvul, they all said, Oh, no, that's how they say it in Lincoln County. I can even identify some people with accents from Cherokee County, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks Ani.

LOL. . .greezy. . .a couple of varients of the MidAtlantic accent say greezy. You were not alone.

I've spoken with some people from Cherryville who pronounce the town. . .Cherryv'l or Chaiv'l. When I asked numerous natives about Churvul, they all said, Oh, no, that's how they say it in Lincoln County. I can even identify some people with accents from Cherokee County, SC.
Yep. If I had said CHERRY VILLE back in the 60s, most of the folks around me would have looked at me cross eyed. Same for Morganton . . . Mor gin t'n. And Huntersville . . . Hunnersvuhl.

Nice to know I wasn't alone. And just for the record, I STILL say GREEZY, cause I find it kinda special. It definitely got commented on when I lived in the Midwest.

I also say Vahz for Vase just because I like the way the word sounds. I pronounce PRIVACY with the British prounciation just cause i like the rhythm of the word. I don't even care who looks at me cross-eyed these days. I quit caring by the time I was in my teens. I slip into a very Southern accent when I want to . . . and clean up as needed "for professional reasons" lol. It doesn't matter how hard I try, tho . . . some vowels just have their own peculiar ring coming outta my mouth. And that's just fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,875 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8943
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep. If I had said CHERRY VILLE back in the 60s, most of the folks around me would have looked at me cross eyed. Same for Morganton . . . Mor gin t'n. And Huntersville . . . Hunnersvuhl.

Nice to know I wasn't alone. And just for the record, I STILL say GREEZY, cause I find it kinda special. It definitely got commented on when I lived in the Midwest.

I also say Vahz for Vase just because I like the way the word sounds. I pronounce PRIVACY with the British prounciation just cause i like the rhythm of the word. I don't even care who looks at me cross-eyed these days. I quit caring by the time I was in my teens. I slip into a very Southern accent when I want to . . . and clean up as needed "for professional reasons" lol. It doesn't matter how hard I try, tho . . . some vowels just have their own peculiar ring coming outta my mouth. And that's just fine with me.
Just to show you why the weakened accents threw me initially Here's some videos that are classic, working class MidAtlantic. I can't easily find the more educated versions

This kid has a bunch of these. Open in a new window & you can follow along.


PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube

There's 2 parts to this one.


The Don & Mike Show - Baltimore Accents (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube

Here's cubs' video again.


dialect in southern cities - YouTube

Just because it's so darned funny, here's this one.


PhillyTawk: Vurry Murry Chrissmiss (Christmas CD) - YouTube

Comparing the vowels in the working class Fluffya & Balmer accents, you can tell how close the weakened version is to the weakened versions in Charlotte. The MidAtlantic accent is in the family of southern accents.

ETA: Cubs, send these to your cousin.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-18-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Reputation: 22370
Oh my, this is so much fun. I always have heard many similarities b/n midatlantic accents and NC accents. Some is VERY different (like the Bawty-more - here we prounounce an I as "UH" when in the middle of a word, lol) . . . this stuff is priceless.

Arsh = Irish is still heard in the mountains here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,875 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8943
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh my, this is so much fun. I always have heard many similarities b/n midatlantic accents and NC accents. Some is VERY different (like the Bawty-more - here we prounounce an I as "UH" when in the middle of a word, lol) . . . this stuff is priceless.

Arsh = Irish is still heard in the mountains here.
Be sure that you follow the kid doing the Philly accent. He has a whole series on YouTube. A study has been going on at U of P on American Accents & the Inquirer published information from the study enough times, when it was Knight-Ridder owned it, that most people know quite a bit on the topic.

There are many similarities, but there's a bit from the North & if you hear someone speak of the great state of Merlin, or wish you a Murry Chrissmiss, you now know where they're from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Be sure that you follow the kid doing the Philly accent. He has a whole series on YouTube. A study has been going on at U of P on American Accents & the Inquirer published information from the study enough times, when it was Knight-Ridder owned it, that most people know quite a bit on the topic.

There are many similarities, but there's a bit from the North & if you hear someone speak of the great state of Merlin, or wish you a Murry Chrissmiss, you now know where they're from.
HA HA HA HA _ Great state of Merlin, LOL. I had to read that outloud b/f I "got it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,875 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Reputation: 8943
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
HA HA HA HA _ Great state of Merlin, LOL. I had to read that outloud b/f I "got it."
I just realized that the series of videos that I mentioned wasn't connected to the videos that I posted.


PhillyTawk: Overview of Mid-Atlantic English, Part 1 - YouTube

Pop that into a new window. It's a series of 6. It's easy enough to differentiate from the stronger accents, but the milder ones aren't so easy. I've asked several natives in Gastonia if they came from Philly. I'm getting the hang of it now, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Reputation: 2323
I will be showing all of this to my cousin. What is ironic is that the Chicago accent is quite sharp...yet so different from NYC.


The Gecko's Chicago Accent - The Gecko's Journey - New GEICO Commercial - YouTube

This is a hilarious example. My Chicago accent is obviously tempered by my years down south, yet, I tend to pick up the accents of whomever I am around. After a few weeks there, my accent is usually quite a bit more pronounced.

Again, like Ani said, different words really pinpoint me not only as a Chicagoan, but, a north side Chicagoan. I say...shuuh-ka-go as opposed to the southside sheh cag o. You can see the difference on the WGN news show. The weatherman is a north sider, the sports guy is a south sider.

However, I also incorporate my English influence in certain words...privacy is one...basil, and certainly the cities of Birmingham, Nottingham and others in the upper NE of this country. Yet, (and just to make things interesting) I used to also be fluent in Spanish, so, some words with a Spanish base come out with that pronunciation, too. I have to think for a second before saying refrigerator, for example as I want to say it in Spanish. Same with instructions. I am an interesting subject for the speech pathologists! hahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Reputation: 3690
My northern accent has also tempered over time since being around so many natives on a daily basis.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top