Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:01 PM

527 posts, read 914,815 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't they build parking lot or some other commercial place? That way city get money from tax.

With park you get bunch of homeless folks squatting and wannabe fitness freaks eating lunch... No money for city.

I wouldn't mind if the economy was good and we had surplus budget.. But city is broke and officials are dumb...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,989,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Shouldn't they build parking lot or some other commercial place? That way city get money from tax.

With park you get bunch of homeless folks squatting and wannabe fitness freaks eating lunch... No money for city.

I wouldn't mind if the economy was good and we had surplus budget.. But city is broke and officials are dumb...
You troll hard.

What park are you talking about? Parks are vital for a thriving city. And I reject your premise that a parking lot would bring in better money. The longer time people spend downtown, the more money they spend downtown, the more business open downtown, the more the city profits. A park is a pleasant attraction.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,631,280 times
I know it! Ever hear of Central Park in NYC? Man, that's 843 acres of *prime* real estate! They better get on that!

I think planners consider a little something called "quality of life". I don't work downtown, but if I did, I'd be glad for a little bit of green space!

Things like center city parks and the greenway attract businesses, also.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM

2,752 posts, read 5,102,540 times
Quote:

Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I know it! Ever hear of Central Park in NYC? Man, that's 843 acres of *prime* real estate! They better get on that!
As an aside, the sons of Central Park's Landscape Architect Fredrick Law Olmsted also developed Charlotte's Dilworth neighborhood and Latta Park.

http://www.cmhpf.org/educationpersonalitiesolmsted.htm

Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 PM

527 posts, read 914,815 times
Looks like Charlotte has lots of smart people...

I have an analogy and a question..

Let's say if I have a really nice yard, nothing wrong with it. I am thinking of building a pool to add beauty and be fit by swimming... Err but I am broke , no cash...

Should I borrow money from my neighbour and build pool? Most smart people would say yes..

Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Let's say if I have a really nice yard, nothing wrong with it. I am thinking of building a pool to add beauty and be fit by swimming... Err but I am broke , no cash...

Should I borrow money from my neighbour and build pool? Most smart people would say yes..
What park are you talking about specifically?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Your analogy makes no sense. Are you building your pool for the benefit of your neighborhood? Building it as a place that all the neighborhood folks can use? Then, sure, you might have the rest of your neighbors front the money for the pool and help pay it off. This happens all the time in neighborhoods.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,494,959 times
Yes, how terrible to have a park.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:11 AM

958 posts, read 1,712,004 times
One of the dumbest post I've seen on this forum! Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte