Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal329 View Post
Any good Italian resturants that play music in or near Charlotte that you would recommend?
Sal, I am asking around for you and will post again if I can find out anything Congrats, by the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,373,701 times
Don't assume because you know what happens. I'm not 100% Italian, but my grandmother was. I may not be from LI or NYC, but I grew up in Detroit and lived in Buffalo where there is no shortage of good pizza or Italians. One Buffalo pizza place, La Nova, has been rated #1 pizza in the US by Pizza Today About Us - buffalo wing sauce, hot chicken wings, baked chicken wings, baked buffalo wing, chicken tenders, frozen pizza, wholesale pizza, wholesale wings (http://www.lanova.com/store.asp?pid=14827&catid=19790 - broken link). Not only that, La Nova is consistently voted best pizza by the consumers too. Buddy's pizzeria in Detoit has also been rated top 5 in the country in the country Buddy's Pizza - Detroit's #1 square deep dish pizza (http://www.buddyspizza.com/buddys.htm - broken link). There are plenty of places to get good fresh pizza in Charlotte with fresh ingredients. I have worked in several pizza places in WNY with plenty of Italians. I'm a pizza conossieur. More important than the water and the yeast is letting the dough proof (rise) to the correct temperature. Usually after you make the dough, it's about two hours at room temperature and normal indoor humidity. A few good places in the area are Davincis', Carmella's (surprisingly they use conveyor ovens and not deck ovens, but the pizza is still awesome, with fresh cheese and ingredients), Village Pizza in Tega Cay and Farley's near Ballantyne.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You guys are hijacking Sal's thread! He is not interested in pizza or eggplant parmesan at the moment - he wants a romantic Italian place to propose to his girlfriend! Can anyone come up with any romantic suggestions?
We already did. Villa Antonio's

Old 10-01-2007, 11:31 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,660,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Don't assume because you know what happens. I'm not 100% Italian, but my grandmother was. I may not be from LI or NYC, but I grew up in Detroit and lived in Buffalo where there is no shortage of good pizza or Italians. One Buffalo pizza place, La Nova, has been rated #1 pizza in the US by Pizza Today About Us - buffalo wing sauce, hot chicken wings, baked chicken wings, baked buffalo wing, chicken tenders, frozen pizza, wholesale pizza, wholesale wings (http://www.lanova.com/store.asp?pid=14827&catid=19790 - broken link). Not only that, La Nova is consistently voted best pizza by the consumers too. Buddy's pizzeria in Detoit has also been rated top 5 in the country in the country Buddy's Pizza - Detroit's #1 square deep dish pizza (http://www.buddyspizza.com/buddys.htm - broken link). There are plenty of places to get good fresh pizza in Charlotte with fresh ingredients. I have worked in several pizza places in WNY with plenty of Italians. I'm a pizza conossieur. More important than the water and the yeast is letting the dough proof (rise) to the correct temperature. Usually after you make the dough, it's about two hours at room temperature and normal indoor humidity. A few good places in the area are Davincis', Carmella's (surprisingly they use conveyor ovens and not deck ovens, but the pizza is still awesome, with fresh cheese and ingredients), Village Pizza in Tega Cay and Farley's near Ballantyne.

When you make a statement like "if the ingredients are shipped in from LI, its not as fresh as it can be", the impression you give is that the pizza is not top notch, and a cut below (which is the furthest from the truth).

Why do you think most pizza places around the country market their pizza as "New York Pizza" or something to that effect? They don't market it as "Detroit Pizza" or "Home of Buffalo Style Pizza"? There's a reason for that.

p.s. I have to give credit to Buffalo for their wings though...

Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Maybe they market is a NY style because there are so many people from NYC here and NYC also has one of the largest pouplations in the world.? I am not even a native of Buffalo, but I will take a Buffalo pizza over a NYC pizza anyday. Pizza in Buffalo is not too thin like NYC pizza and not too thick like the Chicago pizza. BTW, pizza is not Italian (it's a Greek invention) and pepperoni is an American invention.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM

674 posts, read 797,616 times
Actually, the Greeks, Phoenicians and Romans all made these types of "pizzas." No one culture can claim it for certain but one thing that is certain is that the modern day pizza was modeled after that of the Italians.
This thread is gretting really off track and weird anyway.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:30 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,660,082 times
Quote:
Maybe they market is a NY style because there are so many people from NYC here and NYC also has one of the largest pouplations in the world.? I am not even a native of Buffalo, but I will take a Buffalo pizza over a NYC pizza anyday. Pizza in Buffalo is not too thin like NYC pizza and not too thick like the Chicago pizza. BTW, pizza is not Italian (it's a Greek invention) and pepperoni is an American invention.

If you prefer a Buffalo pizza over a NY pizza I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah, the thread did get a little off track...

Old 10-01-2007, 02:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Okay Sal, my good friend (and very missed poster here) kmway has given me these suggestions for you - given her knowledge and experience you can trust what she says THANKS kmway!

here are some restaurants that are italian and romantic:
Luce
Menu

Toscana (Specialty Shops across from SouthPark Mall)

Salute
Menu --- Salute Italian Wines, Charlotte, NC (broken link)

Volare
Volare Ristorante Italiano :: Charlotte, NC

Terra
http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com...d=oid%3A170698 (broken link)
small restaurant but very intimate.

Because Charlotte has fewer fine italian eateries than up north, I have to be honest: as a female I would prefer to be proposed to in front of a floor-to-ceiling window overlooking the city at Bentley's! Not italian food but I don't think he'd be sorry for making this choice! If he goes ahead of time and lets the manager know his plans, they will help make it special.
Welcome to Bentley's on 27 - A Visionary Dining Experience

So, Bentley's is my 1st choice, and the others are all good although I would choose Toscana or Terra....I would put Volare at the bottom because although it is a lovely restaurant, I did not care for the food. Overpriced and average.

I think he should pop in to each and see what he likes best, and hopefully this list gives him a place to start!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:02 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,897,508 times
If the weather is good (like today), there is no more romantic place than the patio of
Toscana on Morrison Boulevard across from SouthPark Mall. When you make your reservations (for after 8 o'clock) ask for a corner table away from the other diners.

Last edited by BarbJ; 10-01-2007 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,775,868 times
Quote:
A few good places in the area are Davincis', Carmella's (surprisingly they use conveyor ovens and not deck ovens, but the pizza is still awesome, with fresh cheese and ingredients), and Farley's near Ballantyne.
Conveyer ovens??? Next thing I'll hear is that someone will suggest Dominos as a "good place to get a pizza".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte