U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,051,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
I have a first year driver. We gave her a paid off Scion. Insurance is $2900 a year for her alone!
We have been with the same company for over 25 years. Other than repairs for hitting 2 deer we have never made a claim and we have been ticket free for the entire time.
We checked a couple of companies and ours was still the cheapest. Just got our new policy and the rates went up $500 from last year. Our total yearly total is currently $4900

I'm curious what others are paying for 1st time drivers.?

Oh, and by the way, I have another turning 16 in October..... ( I need smilie with gun to head!)

That is very high, you need to shop it with an independent agent, you can definitely do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 PM

972 posts, read 2,138,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Considering how fast bills can run up in a hospital, anyone with any assets to protect would do themselves well to carry more than the minimum liability insurance required in NC.
I love vague answers and opinions.

The question to OTHERS is how much is enough and how much is way over the top? Are there limits in NC on how much someone can sue for? Is it circumstance specific?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,000,759 times
Quote:
I have a first year driver. We gave her a paid off Scion. Insurance is $2900 a year for her alone!
We have been with the same company for over 25 years. Other than repairs for hitting 2 deer we have never made a claim and we have been ticket free for the entire time.
We checked a couple of companies and ours was still the cheapest. Just got our new policy and the rates went up $500 from last year. Our total yearly total is currently $4900

Oh, and by the way, I have another turning 16 in October..... ( I need smilie with gun to head!)
I feel your pain. Luckily, I have a perfect driving record for the last ten years (no tickets nor accidents; knock on wood). I was able to buy a brand new 2011 Dodge Caliber and only paid $82 per month for full coverage for myself. However, when I placed my step son's 1999 Ford Mustang onto my policy, I now pay $360 per month. Being that his Mustang is paid off, I could have given him liability only for $250 per month total, but I chose the full coverage option because I wanted his car protected. Anyways, there seems to be no way around the higher cost of new drivers. I'm with Nationwide BTW and they've been very good to me for nearly 15 years now.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM

12,414 posts, read 7,467,746 times
Quote:

My brother just recently got his license at 16, and with a paid off truck pays $2400 a year. Next payment is going to be lower however with a good grades discount, and he took some sort of safe driving class. I think it knocks off around $400 (maybe more) a year? He used to not have very good grades, but once my parents realized it was costing them money, they really started hounding him about getting his grades up.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 AM

8,025 posts, read 2,751,591 times
I can't figure why anyone would buy their teen a car and pay for their insurance?

You want them to learn personal responsibility and the value of hard work, the value a dollar? ....make them earn their own money, buy their own car (even if it's a beater) and pay their own insurance.

My parents could have easily bought me my first car but they did not....they made me work for it and I appreciated it that much more because it was MINE.

When I see teens driving around, gabbing on cell phones in $30,000.00 cars I have to wonder what the in the world the parents are thinking.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
I can't figure why anyone would buy their teen a car and pay for their insurance?

You want them to learn personal responsibility and the value of hard work, the value a dollar? ....make them earn their own money, buy their own car (even if it's a beater) and pay their own insurance.
OR have them spend their time studying and participating in volunteer and school activities to better their chances of a college scholarship. My child wants to get a small part time job once she is allowed to drive on her own. But, there is absolutely no way we'll let our kids work the hours that would be needed to earn that much money.

Also, we really don't see why teens need their own car. Maybe we'll feel different once the benefits of having an extra driver kicks in? I doubt it, though. We do fine with getting everyone where they need to be with just two cars.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 AM

6,270 posts, read 10,000,759 times
Quote:
Because some of us actually want our kids to have it easier than we did. Besides, I'd much rather see my teen focus on school and athletics than a minimum wage paying job at the mall. That said, my teen has applied to several places since getting his car because he wants to pay his own way. To me, that's whats more important (the teen that wants to help without having to put the boot to his neck). IMO, anyone who has to ask or "make their teen" work has already failed. The teen should want to help out the hand that feeds them. Making them or forcing them to do so means that you've already got a problem on your hands...

Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 AM

8,025 posts, read 2,751,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Because some of us actually want our kids to have it easier than we did. Besides, I'd much rather see my teen focus on school and athletics than a minimum wage paying job at the mall. That said, my teen has applied to several places since getting his car because he wants to pay his own way. To me, that's whats more important (the teen that wants to help without having to put the boot to his neck). IMO, anyone who has to ask or "make their teen" work has already failed. The teen should want to help out the hand that feeds them. Making them or forcing them to do so means that you've already got a problem on your hands...

And you really think that if you buy them a car it will make them focus on school more??? ROFLMAO

The problem with kids today is they have it too easy....they expect everything to be handed to them on a platter and when you buy them a car you do nothing but further that attitude.
Teens really don't NEED a car....a car is a luxury item for them, a status symbol.

MY son is 21 yrs old, just came back from his first tour overseas in the Air Force and is looking to buy his first car with his own money, guess who's advise he is seeking?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 AM

35,120 posts, read 40,051,684 times
Quote:

Why are you paying for extra insurance for teenagers? They should be paying for their own insurance on their own vehicles or not driving.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
And you really think that if you buy them a car it will make them focus on school more??? ROFLMAO

The problem with kids today is they have it too easy....they expect everything to be handed to them on a platter and when you buy them a car you do nothing but further that attitude.
Teens really don't NEED a car....a car is a luxury item for them, a status symbol.

MY son is 21 yrs old, just came back from his first tour overseas in the Air Force and is looking to buy his first car with his own money, guess who's advise he is seeking?
Good for your son! But, please please please stop acting like all kids today are alike.

There are many who are focused on school and highly self motivated. They load up on honors and AP classes. They are active participants in sports, clubs and volunteering. There are hundreds of kids like that in most high schools all around here. For those kids, yes - working to earn money for a car IS a disraction from other activities.

Many parents (like me) agree that academics and other activities are more important. It is a personal parenting decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte