Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

Many years ago we were doing a little live history of our area with our children when we came upon a map that showed the location of where the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence was signed. It wasn't much of anything at that time except a trail down into the woods and a spring of drinking water. Our children were at the age where they enjoyed anything that was physical so it was a good and interesting day for us.

We went back to the same location on another day and this time on our way down the trail we encountered a snake, so we have not been back. Well they are 40 and 46 years old now. I don't know where we got the map; probably from a library or historical society. I just now started looking to see if I could find out the location again and came up with this marker. There was no marker where we went so I am not sure it is the same place, but it is on the same road. So in honor of Independence Day which is a different date, I am sharing this with everybody and you might like to do a little history along with hiking with your children too. Happy hunting.

Signers of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence Marker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
It's interesting. I never understood the whole obsession with the myth of The Meck Dec. It's the Mecklenburg Resolves that were real. Avalon Project - The Charlotte Town Resolves; May 31, 1775 And they are better written and only date 11 days later (May 31, 1775).

"All modern scholarly research to date has been unable to verify the claim that there was in fact such a document called the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. There are NO contemporary records mentioning it, and in fact, the alleged Mecklenburg Declaration only came to light in the early 19th century (1818-1819), well after the American Revolution. The Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence is a myth. Note that on this site there is a "recreation" of the document, which should raise alarm bells to all serious researchers and historians. It has been recreated because there was no original document. See Richard N.Current's article "That Other Declaration: May 20, 1775-May 20, 1975" in the North Carolina Historical Review, 1977 54(2): 169-191.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte