U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
When I said "democratic friendly" I was talking on a national level. I don't disagree w/you on that point, however the big bucks they need are from Unions and they are not getting it.

I disagree w/you 100% on the DNC getting the money they want.

They've only raised 10 million so far and they are scrambling....shortened the convention from 4 days to 3 and now change venues at the last minute.....again, you can think it can be "amendment 1" or "not thinking they are going to fill the speedway" however I don't buy that....we will agree to disagree...
Hey, I onced packed 4 days of partying into 3....it's possible but the hangover is unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It's definitely harder to talk about how great you are after 4 years in office....
Lol, 4 years of anybody/anything is more than enough. I'd say we go for a one 6-year term and get on to the next BSer...it's a stressful gig anyway.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM

21,873 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Amen. We might get that combo. Unfortunately with Pat taking office that might drag some tea party people into office.... Then we will just be out of luck because I am assuming they are going to reject a lot of infrastructure bills.

At least we will have a pro-Charlotte, pro-light rail, former Charlotte mayor in office.
I'm unafiliated. George Romney was my governor when I was a kid. I was set to vote for Mitt, but I've seen & heard enough & will vote for Obama.

I'm fed up with the tea partiers in Raleigh & DC. They ran on jobs, jobs, jobs. What have they done? Amenment One, Threatening to let the US default on our debts. . .I'm fed up. I don't want them back.

McCrory ran around promoting Amendment One. He went on WCNC's public affairs show every Sunday & took potshots at Bev & tooted his own horn every single week. That's tasteless & tacky. It says a lot about his character.

I'll vote for Dalton. He's from Rutherford County, so he knows where Charlotte is, too.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,994,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'll vote for Dalton. He's from Rutherford County, so he knows where Charlotte is, too.
You bring up an interesting point. How will Dalton be able to show his face at the DNC in Charlotte after those anti-McCrory/Duke/Charlotte ads that are currently running in the Triad, Triangle, and Greenville? Keep in mind that Duke is the company that's most responsible for putting on the Charlotte DNC show. The ads are not being ran here in Charlotte (surprise surprise), but they are being ran in almost every other NC market. Duke has even asked the state Dems to the stop running the ad that mentions Duke specifically; the state Dems said "no". There is one ad that shows Charlotte's skyline as a symbol of corporate greed and government corruption. The viewer is left with the impression that McCrory "is not the guy to clean up Raleigh".

Sorry, but the "in your face" Charlotte/Charlotte-Mayor backstabbing continues in this state even on a year when the president is visiting this state for his party's convention. The state Dems claim that "Charlotte is an expensive media market; too expensive for us to afford to run the ads down there". What a bunch of BULL. A few of those ads were so unambiguously anti-Charlotte that they know better than to run them down here.

I understand folks who are turned off by McCrory's hard-right turn since leaving office here in Charlotte. However, I firmly believe he is just trying to get elected in a state that loves to hate Charlotteans. The current ads that are not being ran in Charlotte is your proof.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM

3,745 posts, read 3,265,475 times
Yeah. In Minnesota they are protesting general mills for opposing their amendment one... A fortune 500! Seems they are more interested in bs that jobs

Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You bring up an interesting point. How will Dalton be able to show his face at the DNC in Charlotte after those anti-McCrory/Duke/Charlotte ads that are currently running in the Triad, Triangle, and Greenville? Keep in mind that Duke is the company that's most responsible for putting on the Charlotte DNC show. The ads are not being ran here in Charlotte (surprise surprise), but they are being ran in almost every other NC market. Duke has even asked the state Dems to the stop running the ad that mentions Duke specifically; the state Dems said "no". There is one ad that shows Charlotte's skyline as a symbol of corporate greed and government corruption. The viewer is left with the impression that McCrory "is not the guy to clean up Raleigh".

Sorry, but the "in your face" Charlotte/Charlotte-Mayor backstabbing continues in this state even on a year when the president is visiting this state for his party's convention. The state Dems claim that "Charlotte is an expensive media market; too expensive for us to afford to run the ads down there". What a bunch of BULL. A few of those ads were so unambiguously anti-Charlotte that they know better than to run them down here.

I understand folks who are turned off by McCrory's hard-right turn since leaving office here in Charlotte. However, I firmly believe he is just trying to get elected in a state that loves to hate Charlotteans. The current ads that are not being ran in Charlotte is your proof.
urban, if it's OK for McCrory, why is it not OK for Dalton?

Keep something in mind. Natives, even as close as Gaston County, have strong resentments of transplants in Charlotte. Do you think that it made people in Gastonia feel warm & fuzzy that when they went to CATS & asked to be included in a regional rail system & they were told by CATS to go pound sand in a rat hole? You've seen the nasty shots by certain transplants on this board. When do the TV stations cover nice events out here? If it ain't makin' the area look like a bunch of losers, they don't cover it, or it's just a mention. They couldn't do a package about the history of the Loray Mill? Everyone in this area should know about the Loray Mill strike.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,942,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
They've only raised 10 million so far and they are scrambling....shortened the convention from 4 days to 3 and now change venues at the last minute.....again, you can think it can be "amendment 1" or "not thinking they are going to fill the speedway" however I don't buy that....we will agree to disagree...
According to the paperwork filed by the COMMITTEE ON ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE 2012 REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION and the 2012 DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION COMMITTEE INC, fundraising has been essentially the same for the conventions.

DNC
  • Total Raised - $17,697,038
  • Total Spent - $4,745,677
  • Cash on Hand - $12,951,361
GOP
  • Total Raised - $17,695,583
  • Total Spent - $3,656,171
  • Cash on Hand - $14,100,020
The conclusions drawn by Bloomberg don't seem to consider this information. The DNC raised slightly more for their convention, but are spending at a substantially higher rate than the RNC. Looking more closely at their report, you will find they have a whole lot of people on the payroll. This is where the money is really going.

You can check it yourself here: Political Parties Overview | OpenSecrets

Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 PM

11,720 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Is Charlotte the big bad banking city because of it's growth and influx of transplants or is it due to being the city everyone refers to when talking about NC?

The Triangle as a ton of transplants and you can't drive 2 blocks in Wilmington or at the beach without seeing an Ohio, PA or NY plate.

How long has Charlotte been viewed this way?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Yeah. In Minnesota they are protesting general mills for opposing their amendment one... A fortune 500! Seems they are more interested in bs that jobs
Yup. . . jobs, jobs, jobs. What do they actually do? Go after gays, abortions, & birth control. Don't forget that teachers, policemen, & firemen are frills.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Is Charlotte the big bad banking city because of it's growth and influx of transplants or is it due to being the city everyone refers to when talking about NC?

The Triangle as a ton of transplants and you can't drive 2 blocks in Wilmington or at the beach without seeing an Ohio, PA or NY plate.

How long has Charlotte been viewed this way?
That I can't tell you. I get into conversations with natives all of the time. I have an obviously non-native accent. When they find out that I live in Kings Mountain, they spill their guts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte