Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 8,525 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Charlotte from Miami with my 2 cats. I have no family or job there, but I am looking forward to the excitement of starting in a new place

I've been looking for a 1br/1ba under $600/mo in websites like trulia.com, rent.com, apartments.com, and the charlotte observer classifieds. Most search results are managed condominiums that have application fees and ridiculously expensive non-refundable pet fees ($300+ per cat). Can anyone show me local classified websites other than craigslist where most listings are "For Rent by Owner"? A list of local newspapers would be helpful!

Also, is it possible to rent in the southern areas of the city for less than $750/mo? (zipcodes 28207, 28226, 28210, etc.) Most threads point to these areas as the safest places to live in. Which other zipcodes might be good?
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to avoid pet fees!!-charlotte_average_home_price_by_zip_code.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust'11 View Post
I am relocating to Charlotte from Miami with my 2 cats. I have no family or job there, but I am looking forward to the excitement of starting in a new place

I've been looking for a 1br/1ba under $600/mo in websites like trulia.com, rent.com, apartments.com, and the charlotte observer classifieds. Most search results are managed condominiums that have application fees and ridiculously expensive non-refundable pet fees ($300+ per cat). Can anyone show me local classified websites other than craigslist where most listings are "For Rent by Owner"? A list of local newspapers would be helpful!

Also, is it possible to rent in the southern areas of the city for less than $750/mo? (zipcodes 28207, 28226, 28210, etc.) Most threads point to these areas as the safest places to live in. Which other zipcodes might be good?

I do hope you have at least a years worth of living expenses saved up if you are coming to Charlotte without a job?

This is generally a very bad idea otherwise.

Apts under $600 will not be great complexes and tend to be in less desirable areas or just have less desirable features.

There are some complexes in south Charlotte that you can get into under $750, but most stay filled to capacity. The rental market in Charlotte is HOT and rents have risen to reflect that I'm afraid. I will send you a few links to check out.

In addition, you just can't really house hunt by zip code in Charlotte. Almost all zip codes have some good and some bad parts.

Pet fees are a hassle for sure, but it can be almost impossible to avoid them in good complexes. And trying to hide your cats from management is risky, as you could be thrown out of your apt for violating the lease.

I would recommend you just save up for that expense and bite the bullet to pay them. Sorry!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
I was paying nearly $600/month for a 1/1 12 years ago-

Mission Matthews Place | Apartment Trust of America

when they were new and had no issues. It's not the same place I lived in, but I think some of the negative reviews seen elsewhere are overblown.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:29 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
I will second not hiding the cats. They have a smell whether you notice it or not and don't always hit the litter box. I would actually prefer dogs over cats in my rentals. If we catch a pet in a no-pet unit or find a tenant lied, we evict them immediately. Most other companies do, too. Either deal with the deposits or get rid of the cats. Sucks, but its the decision you will be faced with unless you get lucky.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
One thing you might try is seeing if you can pay the pet deposit over a few months - but like Loves said, if you don't have money saved up, moving here would be a bad idea. The pet deposit covers damages likely to incur with pets. I *love* my pets, and they are all well-behaved, the kitties pee in the litter box or outside, the dog doesn't chew things, etc., but I sure do understand the damage even the best of pets can cause.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
If you are moving here without the funds to cover a $300.00 pet deposit, I would reconsider. Also reconsider moving here without a job.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
If you are moving here without the funds to cover a $300.00 pet deposit, I would reconsider. Also reconsider moving here without a job.
Agree!
Plus most likely you're not going to like the apartment/location you might find for your budget and if you find one that wave the pet fee, place must be a dump already...

Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
I really like cats but when renting, my agent always asks for 1 month rent as a deposit and 50% on top of that if the tenant has pets.

Our own cats basically owned our home. Spoiled was not the word for it but they did do quite a bit of damage to our stuff just by being, well, cats.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 AM

335 posts, read 699,231 times
Just brainstorming here... One sure-fire way to avoid pet fees would be to get rid of the cats.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 AM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Just brainstorming here... One sure-fire way to avoid pet fees would be to get rid of the cats.
Whoa! Even as a hard-nosed landlord, I could not condone that. Remember:

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte