U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 AM

12,845 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Default Finally! The old Loray Mill in Gastonia will be rehabbed

Gastonia has been trying to rehab the old Loray Mill since 1993. It's in the news this morning on TV. The Gaston Gazette has an article with a lot more detail. Loray Mill renovation finally gets a green light | mill, federal, loray - Gaston Gazette

This is a huge deal for Gastonia. People have been rehabbing mill houses on the south side of Garrison, in that area. Parkdale tore down their 2 oldest mills & a warehouse near it, giving over 22 acres for sale in that area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:38 AM

35,346 posts, read 42,242,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Gastonia has been trying to rehab the old Loray Mill since 1993. It's in the news this morning on TV. The Gaston Gazette has an article with a lot more detail. Loray Mill renovation finally gets a green light | mill, federal, loray - Gaston Gazette

This is a huge deal for Gastonia. People have been rehabbing mill houses on the south side of Garrison, in that area. Parkdale tore down their 2 oldest mills & a warehouse near it, giving over 22 acres for sale in that area.
As you know, I have had a particular interest in this building for many years. I wanted to see it used and its integrity and history somehow preserved.

Wonderful news! I think this is going to be a major step towards the future for Gastonia. Thank you so much for sharing this story, SB.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As you know, I have had a particular interest in this building for many years. I wanted to see it used and its integrity and history somehow preserved.

Wonderful news! I think this is going to be a major step towards the future for Gastonia. Thank you so much for sharing this story, SB.
Thanks, Ani..

It's a northern-style mill & will be put to the same use as many of the old abandoned mills in Philly. My next door neighbor is an 80 year old gentleman who worked there when it was Firestone.

Right now the old mill is just sad. This will spur growth in that quadrant of Gastonia & is good. This will also help with downtown revitalization. The biggest thing going in downtown right now is Arts on Main. Arts On Main - Gaston County Art Guild Be sure that you watch the video.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:55 PM

965 posts, read 1,133,978 times
This is a wonderful bit of news. I grew up in Charlotte, and am very familiar with that area, and Gastonia in general. I've seen what the Carr Mill rehab (done in the 1970s) has done to revitalize the mill village in Carrboro, which has pretty much been reinvented over the years into one of the most gorgeous neighborhoods in town, and it's exciting to see that something similar might be possible in Gastonia.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
This is a wonderful bit of news. I grew up in Charlotte, and am very familiar with that area, and Gastonia in general. I've seen what the Carr Mill rehab (done in the 1970s) has done to revitalize the mill village in Carrboro, which has pretty much been reinvented over the years into one of the most gorgeous neighborhoods in town, and it's exciting to see that something similar might be possible in Gastonia.
Thanks for adding this. I think that this will be a big help in Gastonia. Who knows. . .maybe now someone will come up with a use for the Cinderella Mill. Yes, there really is an empty mill called the Cinderella Mill.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 PM

965 posts, read 1,133,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks for adding this. I think that this will be a big help in Gastonia. Who knows. . .maybe now someone will come up with a use for the Cinderella Mill. Yes, there really is an empty mill called the Cinderella Mill.
Yep - Carr Mill in Carrboro was likeley one of the first big mill closures in the state, way back in the early 60s, and it sat abandoned for 15 years, and the small mill village around it declined. The town was debating what to do with it in the mid 1970s, and a teardown was an option, but not the only one, and it was fully renovated instead, which took 3 years, and involved some new additions onto the original structure, which were in character with the original historic building. The goal was to make it a self-sufficient center, as it was in the CENTER of town, and if this project wasn't handled right, it would have been a disaster.

So the ground floor was renovated to include shops - pretty much all of them local businesses - with two groceries (one a Harris Teeter, the other an all organic/natural food co-op), a CVS drug store, two eateries (one a family-oriented diner, the other a more high-end Italian place) - a real mix of tenants that collectively would attract a lot of different types to generate as much business as possible. Parking and landscaping was designed to make it easy to walk or bike to there, as well as drive, so plenty of parking yes, but plenty of sidewalks, pedestrian crosswalks, and bike racks as well.

The upper floor (this is a smaller mill by far than the Loray) was turned into office space, and was gradually filled with a variety of professional services - a doctor's office, a CPA, a yoga studio, a layer, et. al.

And the surrounding mill village has definitely gentrified into quite a nice neighborhood, really the centerpiece of town.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yep - Carr Mill in Carrboro was likeley one of the first big mill closures in the state, way back in the early 60s, and it sat abandoned for 15 years, and the small mill village around it declined. The town was debating what to do with it in the mid 1970s, and a teardown was an option, but not the only one, and it was fully renovated instead, which took 3 years, and involved some new additions onto the original structure, which were in character with the original historic building. The goal was to make it a self-sufficient center, as it was in the CENTER of town, and if this project wasn't handled right, it would have been a disaster.

So the ground floor was renovated to include shops - pretty much all of them local businesses - with two groceries (one a Harris Teeter, the other an all organic/natural food co-op), a CVS drug store, two eateries (one a family-oriented diner, the other a more high-end Italian place) - a real mix of tenants that collectively would attract a lot of different types to generate as much business as possible. Parking and landscaping was designed to make it easy to walk or bike to there, as well as drive, so plenty of parking yes, but plenty of sidewalks, pedestrian crosswalks, and bike racks as well.

The upper floor (this is a smaller mill by far than the Loray) was turned into office space, and was gradually filled with a variety of professional services - a doctor's office, a CPA, a yoga studio, a layer, et. al.

And the surrounding mill village has definitely gentrified into quite a nice neighborhood, really the centerpiece of town.
+5

Thank you so much for that information. I find it interesting that this happened while the mills were closing in Philadelphia & moving to NC, followed by the majority of the mill workers from there. I love seeing buildings rehabbed & repurposed instead of tearing them down.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 AM

35,346 posts, read 42,242,394 times
Quote:
That is a spot on comparison, Davidals. I have spent time at the Carr Mill location and agree - it was a wonderful rehab and became the centerpiece for the area. I had not thought of that location in re: to this one . . . it has been exciting to see that process over the years. Let's hope the same will happen in Gastonia. The potential is there!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is a spot on comparison, Davidals. I have spent time at the Carr Mill location and agree - it was a wonderful rehab and became the centerpiece for the area. I had not thought of that location in re: to this one . . . it has been exciting to see that process over the years. Let's hope the same will happen in Gastonia. The potential is there!
I can't see this as anything less than a big win for Gastonia.

Based on the demographics of who is likely to to rent a loft, this is more of a win than if they went with traditional apartments. When this is done, the city will be looking more vertically, which they will need to do until the new annexation law is moderated.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 AM

8,366 posts, read 10,017,954 times
Nice article in the CO about the history and plans for the old Loray Mill....

Saving Gastonia's Loray Mill: '…a gift from heaven' | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte