Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,632,567 times

Advertisements

My son would like to get a trampoline, however, we're renting, and the owner had said specifically (and it's in the lease) "no trampolines". He cited insurance costs.

I am wondering, how much does a trampoline add to homeowner's insurance? I understand liability would be a big issue. The fence around our back yard doesn't have a gate, you have to go through the house to get to the yard, so I don't think other kids would be able to use a trampoline unless we invited them to. The fence is flimsy, I suppose if they were persistent they could find a way in, but we're home a lot, I just don't see that as a likelihood.

I am thinking of approaching the LL, and asking if I covered the cost of insurance, if we could put in a trampoline. My son isn't big on sports, finding something physically active he would want to do outside is something I want to support! He has loved any trampoline he's been on, when we've visited friends who have one.

I don't even know if it's realistic, money is tight right now, but I wanted to see what I'd be aiming for. Any trampoline owners have some insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,110,569 times
Sightly off topic, but don't you have insurance on the home to protect yourself? I don't think I'd rely on the homeowner's insurance in case something happened.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,632,567 times
I do have renter's insurance that covers some liability. I don't know the amounts and coverage, exactly, I'd need to look that up.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 AM

2,753 posts, read 5,106,559 times
If I would be you I'd call the insurance company and find out. No way we could help you since there are too many variables to this (as it could be percentage of his total pay, etc).

If you end up getting the trampoline, please stay away from cheap ones - you want yours to have an safety enclosure all around, other way he could get hurt.

Another option is to visit this guys on regular basis:
Sky High Sports | Trampoline Park Charlotte | Trampoline Fun Center Charlotte, NC

Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,723,682 times
I'd estimate no more than $10 per month for a million+ increase in coverage. That ought to do it.♦

Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,362,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
My son would like to get a trampoline, however, we're renting, and the owner had said specifically (and it's in the lease) "no trampolines". He cited insurance costs.

I am wondering, how much does a trampoline add to homeowner's insurance? I understand liability would be a big issue. The fence around our back yard doesn't have a gate, you have to go through the house to get to the yard, so I don't think other kids would be able to use a trampoline unless we invited them to. The fence is flimsy, I suppose if they were persistent they could find a way in, but we're home a lot, I just don't see that as a likelihood.

I am thinking of approaching the LL, and asking if I covered the cost of insurance, if we could put in a trampoline. My son isn't big on sports, finding something physically active he would want to do outside is something I want to support! He has loved any trampoline he's been on, when we've visited friends who have one.

I don't even know if it's realistic, money is tight right now, but I wanted to see what I'd be aiming for. Any trampoline owners have some insight?
Some carriers specifically EXCLUDE trampolines, meaning if you get one, your landlord will receive a cancellation notice-promptly with no questions asked, trampolines are a cause of some very major losses.

There are some carriers that will cover trampolines that are netted (no extra charge, they are just not an exclusion). But the carriers that I use (I am an agent) that do cover trampolines (off the top of my head) will not do rental properties. So the point is, even if your renter's policy does cover you for liability on the trampoline (it might just already do so), your landlord is not covered under his Dwelling Fire policy, so he will not allow that exposure and risk a cancellation of coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I do have renter's insurance that covers some liability. I don't know the amounts and coverage, exactly, I'd need to look that up.

it doesn't matter if you are covered, the point is your landlord is not. If someone is injured in his home, they will sue both you and the landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Sightly off topic, but don't you have insurance on the home to protect yourself? I don't think I'd rely on the homeowner's insurance in case something happened.
homeowner's insurance doesn't cover you if you hurt yourself, it covers your legal liability if a guest gets injured in your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'd estimate no more than $10 per month for a million+ increase in coverage. That ought to do it.♦
you could have 5 million dollars liability coverage.... they will still cover $0 if tramplolines are an exclusion. And will also only cover your liability, not your landlord's.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 AM

716 posts, read 2,148,617 times
Could you get one of those mini trampolines and keep it indoors? (How old is your son?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte