U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times

Advertisements

I just came back from a trip to the Chicago area which confirmed, AGAIN, that food prices here are far higher than those up north. I guess it all washes...the real estate/housing market is considerably cheaper here as are the gas prices. Food is cheaper (and better) up there. I usually go shopping for staples when I go up north to stock the pantry as it were (and even for meats if I go in the fall/winter so that they stay frozen). Kind of helps to pay for my trip in the food savings for a month or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 PM

123 posts, read 188,614 times
I moved here from the Pacific Northwest and was shocked at the price of groceries here. I'm waiting for Publix to open. Since I'm retired, I shop around for sales at different locations. I like the meat at the Meat Market, produce and bakery at Fresh Market and try to pick up everything else at WalMart. Harris Teeter's prices are ridiculous and so is their customer service, but everyone here is so loyal to Harris-Teeter. I'd love for Safeway to move in. The fruit and veggies at the Farmers Markets in Oregon were awesome and super cheap. I love Charlotte, but they need some different stores besides Harris-Teeter. They are not as great as they think they are. I will get a bashing for that, but I see other people from out of state feel the same way about the price of groceries here. Not alot of variety here as far as brands. I had to call Vlasic today to find out where I could get their Banana Ring Peppers. They used to sell them at WalMart, but I can't find them anywhere. Everything is Mt. Olive or the store brand. Anyone know where I could get some. Sorry to all you H-T fans, but I'm just not impressed. Went to the Publix in Spartanburg once and really liked it. Looking forward to them coming here.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Agree that HT is expensive, but Safeway (at least the ones in the Balt-Wash market) really isn't any better.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,638,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
I moved here from the Pacific Northwest and was shocked at the price of groceries here. I'm waiting for Publix to open. Since I'm retired, I shop around for sales at different locations. I like the meat at the Meat Market, produce and bakery at Fresh Market and try to pick up everything else at WalMart. Harris Teeter's prices are ridiculous and so is their customer service, but everyone here is so loyal to Harris-Teeter. I'd love for Safeway to move in. The fruit and veggies at the Farmers Markets in Oregon were awesome and super cheap. I love Charlotte, but they need some different stores besides Harris-Teeter. They are not as great as they think they are. I will get a bashing for that, but I see other people from out of state feel the same way about the price of groceries here. Not alot of variety here as far as brands. I had to call Vlasic today to find out where I could get their Banana Ring Peppers. They used to sell them at WalMart, but I can't find them anywhere. Everything is Mt. Olive or the store brand. Anyone know where I could get some. Sorry to all you H-T fans, but I'm just not impressed. Went to the Publix in Spartanburg once and really liked it. Looking forward to them coming here.
Not sure what the HT anger is about but I have 5 grocery stores within a couple miles of where I live (Aldi's, Walmart, HT, Food Lion, Bi-Lo).

There is plenty of competition here. Granted not one store has cheap prices, best customer service, and a ton of variety....

That's why I always scan the circulars and shop at 2 stores during the week to get the best deals..

Sorry, but I'm not sure why all the Publix love....I went to the one in Gaffney a year or so ago and the prices were high like HT and not anymore impressive than say HT or Ingles....who knows, maybe they'll do well..

Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,758,064 times
Audi for most stuff (bread seems softer than HT) and we check HT for specials on meats because we live near one. Farmers market for tomatoes and fruit this time of the year but beware not all of the stuff at the farmers markets taste great. Audi watermelons are always sweeter than the typical cheap ones at the farmers market

Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 AM

21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Not sure what the HT anger is about but I have 5 grocery stores within a couple miles of where I live (Aldi's, Walmart, HT, Food Lion, Bi-Lo).

There is plenty of competition here. Granted not one store has cheap prices, best customer service, and a ton of variety....

That's why I always scan the circulars and shop at 2 stores during the week to get the best deals..

Sorry, but I'm not sure why all the Publix love....I went to the one in Gaffney a year or so ago and the prices were high like HT and not anymore impressive than say HT or Ingles....who knows, maybe they'll do well..
I'm happy to report that Lowes Foods dropped their prices. They know that Ingles, not Teeter, is now their primary competition.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

There is not a Publix in Gaffney. Closest one is Spartanburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm happy to report that Lowes Foods dropped their prices. They know that Ingles, not Teeter, is now their primary competition.
I'm sure Lowes is aware of Ingles, but I think they only have maybe 5-10 stores in the same markets as Ingles. HT is still their main competition in their primary markets like the Triad, Triangle and Wilmington.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:31 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
... Harris Teeter's prices are ridiculous and so is their customer service, but everyone here is so loyal to Harris-Teeter.
Indeed Carmen

I'm from Charlotte, and I generally detest the contemporary Harris Teeter store and almost never walk into one. I generally don't understand why people blindly go to this store when it's going to cost them significantly more for groceries than almost anywhere else in Charlotte. And those high prices don't guarantee anything. They were found to be putting pink slime in their hamburger meat just like the lowest of low grocery stores and their produce is trucked in from 1000s of miles away just like all the other stores so it's old by the time you get it.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 AM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,713,298 times
Don't be offended, but if you are not even here yet, and ar already comparing Charlotte to "up north" I feel for you. North Carolina is not up north, never will be. You are probably leaving just as many good things as you are leaving bad things when you move to the south. Suggest you consider the north as in your rear view mirror. An occasional glance, but keep focused on what is ahead of you.

Like it or not, you are gonna have to adapt to NC, not the other way around.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,737,610 times
The only way I can handle Harris Teeter is to plan my meals around the VIC card weekly specials which are listed on line - new specials start every Wednesday. If you're willing to do that, the prices aren't that bad. Certain items like nuts, olive oil and wine I get at Trader Joe's. There's always Costco too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or