U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 6,918 times

Advertisements

Good Day,
I am looking for some advice about finding the best grocery stores in the Charlotte area. If there is anyone who has relocated from the area north of Boston (Merrimack Valley) to Charlotte, I would be particularly interested in your advice. We are relocating due to my husband's job. We have visited the area many times in the past and I have noticed that the prices in the supermarkets are unbelievably high compared to what we pay up here. (Which kind of baffles me, since we live in the Great White North with a growing season of about 90 days!) I also noticed that the supermarkets do not have deli/fish areas like I am used to. Anyone who is familiar with shopping at Market Basket up here will have an idea of what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,513,088 times
Looking at the Market Baskey online, I don't know what is comparable around here. But here are some "different" places that have more local stuff and/or better quality than than Teeter.

Charlotte North Carolina Butcher - The Meat House
Hillbilly Produce Market :: Buy Local Produce, Fresh Produce, Organic Foods, Farmers Market, Charlotte, North Carolina
The Bradford Store, Huntersville, NC Locally Grown & Organic Produce, Farmers Market

NCDA&CS - Marketing Division - CHARLOTTE REGIONAL FARMERS MARKET

Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,679,533 times
Hannaford would have been your best bet, but they left the Charlotte market over 10 years ago. Trader Joes would probably be the most familiar name to you in this area. If you are willing to try something that does not have a familiar name, Bilo and Food Lion are known around here for lower prices. Though Harris Teeter is usually more expensive, some of their stores are more comparable to Hannaford when it comes to layout. Compare Foods is another rather cheap grocer in this area. They tend to thrive in the modest income level areas.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM

20,573 posts, read 25,796,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny24 View Post
Good Day,
I am looking for some advice about finding the best grocery stores in the Charlotte area. If there is anyone who has relocated from the area north of Boston (Merrimack Valley) to Charlotte, I would be particularly interested in your advice. We are relocating due to my husband's job. We have visited the area many times in the past and I have noticed that the prices in the supermarkets are unbelievably high compared to what we pay up here. (Which kind of baffles me, since we live in the Great White North with a growing season of about 90 days!) I also noticed that the supermarkets do not have deli/fish areas like I am used to. Anyone who is familiar with shopping at Market Basket up here will have an idea of what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help!
It will depend on where you live.. I looked at a flyer for Danvers &, price-wise, Ingles is close. Ingles, however, is not in Charlotte. It is in Gaston & Cleveland Counties. Click here Ingles Markets - Grocery Stores, Supermarkets, Pharmacies click weekly ads, NC, then eastern NC.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 PM

985 posts, read 1,608,323 times
grocery stores -sigh- with a Harris Teeter on every corner (and I mean mean every) it isn't easy to always avoid.

Coming from the north with a short growing season I too was baffled by the lack of fresher looking produce, and then when the price was so high I started to see what my option were.

First off I live in south Charlotte (actually Union County) but not far from the Mecklenberg county line really). I like the fresher produce at Trader Joe's, I will say you can get very good prices at Aldi on things like bananas, mangos, oranges, etc it can be hit or miss at Aldi (but they aren't grown locally). I also shop the farmers markets close to me and one is all local, and one advertises what of their food is local, the 2 I frequent are the Shell station on Providence Road and the market that is Wednesday only on Rea Road by the Meat Store and Cosmos.

I also find quite a bit in SC where 160 meets 521 there is a stand that sets up there and they have locally grown stuff and tell you what is local and their prices are better than HT too.

Anyway, there are some places to begin.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM

5,690 posts, read 7,294,695 times
I've never been to a Market Basket but from what I've heard they have good prices but can have some problems with items being out of stock.

If price is a main concern and you are not an extreme couponer, it's tough to beat Walmart. But you may not always want to get your produce from there. I've never been to any Walmarts in MA but IMO overall the Walmarts in the south are much nicer than the ones in the northeast. It is also probably around 75% Supercenters here compared to about 25% up there.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,308,220 times
It is definately higher prices here, but if you can manuver it, it will work. Teeter is high priced, but if you follow the specials and e-vic options you will be close to what they should be. Walmart and even Target will give you better prices on your packaged products regularly, and they are much nicer here than at least from where we are from up north. Trader Joes has excellent prices and good but different options. We also have Earth Fare, which will give you more organic, whole foodish options...but wait, whole foods is comming too(or whole paycheck as we like to call it). Then there is Aldi, great prices, not sure about the meat. Then you have placed like the Meat house, which is great for you guessed it, meat. And lastly you have all of your farmers markets, but be careful, because some of them are resellers, so going to the ones that are local farmers would of course be better. And once you have spent your entire week hitting all of these stores, then you have to start all over again. Bottom Line, grocery shopping here kind of stinks...I miss Wegmans

Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks to all so far for your suggestions. We are coming down next week to look for houses and I will definitely check out some of your options. I thought at first it was just me not knowing where to shop because I couldn't believe the prices -- but now I know to expect to pay more at the supermarket! I will definitely shop Trader Joe's and local farm stands when possible, and yes, I have noticed that the Wal-Marts down there are much nicer than up here. But in the end I don't want to have to run around to 6 different places every week. I guess I'm used to "one stop shopping!" Everyone always says that the cost of living is cheaper down there, but I'm beginning to wonder -- is it true?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks very much for your suggestions. We actually went down last week and put an offer on a house. We, too will be in Union County just over the line, so I will check out the farmers markets you suggested.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,926,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny24 View Post
Thanks very much for your suggestions. We actually went down last week and put an offer on a house. We, too will be in Union County just over the line, so I will check out the farmers markets you suggested.
Be sure to check out the Matthews Farmer's Market - all local, and a nice variety:
Matthews Community Farmer's Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or