Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times

Advertisements

Trying to book a flight to Phoenix in Sept. Figured booking the flight 2 months in advance......there would be some deals to be had out there.....Not so....Round trip from CLT to PHX and leaving on a Wednesday came to around $550.00.... Gimmie a break......I might as well just drive to Raleigh and hit Southwest....Lowest fare for them was about $320.....Sorry...but the prices just kill me flying out of Charlotte.... ARGH!!!!!!!!!! I mean $550 may not seem like a lot to some...but for others and myself whom are 1 income household, thats a lot of $$$$$$$ - Just sayin"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Trying to book a flight to Phoenix in Sept. Figured booking the flight 2 months in advance......there would be some deals to be had out there.....Not so....Round trip from CLT to PHX and leaving on a Wednesday came to around $550.00.... Gimmie a break......I might as well just drive to Raleigh and hit Southwest....Lowest fare for them was about $320.....Sorry...but the prices just kill me flying out of Charlotte.... ARGH!!!!!!!!!! I mean $550 may not seem like a lot to some...but for others and myself whom are 1 income household, thats a lot of $$$$$$$ - Just sayin"....
I have a better suggestion...drive to Greensboro, not Raleigh.

The PTI Airport is sooooo easy to navigate and often has better fares than Charlotte Douglas.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
How long are you staying? I found flights for $319 from CLT if you are willing to change planes in Atlanta.

I have had a lot of luck using this website matrix.itasoftware.com/

to identify cheapest fares and flights. It gives you the cheapest fare for every day in calendar format. They do not actually sell you the ticket; you identify the flight and fare on that website, then try to buy the ticket from the airline or one of the many travel websites.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,808,276 times
I just searched a random Wednesday departure from CLT to PHX in September and found fares in the $350 mark with Air Tran. Are your dates flexible? It never helps when you are flying hub-to-hub, too.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have a better suggestion...drive to Greensboro.
Yep. A quick look on expedia finds several choices in the $350 range

Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 AM

Saw that deal........Was looking at direct flights only, as I will have my 71 year old mother with me....

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I just searched a random Wednesday departure from CLT to PHX in September and found fares in the $350 mark with Air Tran. Are your dates flexible? It never helps when you are flying hub-to-hub, too.
yes..dates are flexible...Just figured departing on Wednesday and coming back on Saturday it would be a little cheaper. I would prefer to leave on a Thursday and come back on a Sunday.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,808,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Was looking at direct flights only
Ouch - then all bets are off out of CLT, I'm afraid.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times
I fly pretty regularly and just got back from Phoenix where I was able to book USAIRWays direct from Charlotte for about $450.00. I have found booking out of Greensboro or Greenville, SC which flys right into CLT and will send you out on the same flight that cost you $550.00 to be much lower.

Doesn't make sense but thats the way it is. I had a friend drive me to Greenville and then get off the last leg at CLT on my return flight and not take the CLT - GSP leg.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,685 times
I flew CLT to PHX a month or so ago...initially had an issue finding reasonable direct flights, like you. I needed to check daily, and sometimes multiple times per day in order to get a decent price, as they changed constantly. also, I use hipmunk.com, which for me is awesome....you can easily sort by price, departure/arrival time, or "agony" lol. I've used it a bunch of times and it rocks. I also used travelocity and priceline, just to make sure I wasn't missing something. finally, don't hesitate to actually use the telephone and call the airlines.........make sure you do your research, then call em and see what they can do. sometimes they can hook you up (don't let them charge you a phone booking fee, tell them to waive it). good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte