Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Given your requirements, I recommend Huntersville around Gilead Rd. (exit 23)

It's close enough to the highway system in CLT where you can get to Ballentyne by avoiding the worse of the I77 traffic up north, and is a reverse commute to Mooresville where the difficulties of the same commute are minimized. Going to Ballentyne you can either take I-77 to I-485 to avoid most of CLT and if I-77 to CLT is clogged up, you can take another local Rd directly to I-485. My estimate is the commute to Ballentyne would be ~40 minutes and the one to Mooresville ~20-30 min.

There are numerous lovely homes in this area in your price range and it's low in crime, plenty of shopping, and lots of professional people. It's also very close to all the activities on the Lake and close to enjoy the amenities in Charlotte,
Actually agree with you here in that would be a good location. Doing a quick search it does look like there's a fair amount available in that price range (zip would be 28078 but in the southern part). I guess the only problem would be that is giving the OP a little easier commute than his wife which from his previous posts makes it sound like he might be a little more tolerant of commutes than her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiias View Post
Thanks Jillann. I already visited Mooresville and liked it. But I dont think thats an option for me as wifey is not ready to drive for 80 miles daily
Living more in the middle is definitely a better option for sure.

Your problem will be finding a house anywhere in uptown, or right around it, in your price range that's in a good neighborhood.

So here's my suggestion...

The neighborhoods just below uptown Charlotte called Sedgefield and Dilworth.

Another possibility would be Huntersville near the interstate (close to exit 23), but I wouldn't go further north than that or the Ballantyne commuter will be unhappy!

I'll look online to see if I can send you a few links to places

Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 PM

186 posts, read 436,540 times
I have to add my two cents to the suggestion of exit 23 in Huntersville as someone who routinely drives from exit 10 in Uptown to exit 23 or 25 (or even 19) depending on the severity of conditions. This is absolutely going to be a hellishly long commute for your wife. It used to be that 77 started backing up around mile marker 22 and Huntersville had an escape route. No more... traffic now backs up starting at mile marker 19, and sometimes goes all the way back to exit 18. The sign above the highway said this last Thursday, at mile marker 17... "Average Travel Time to Mooresville, Exit 30, 71 minutes"... I kid you not. Living in the city, if you have the budget to support it, is definitely an option, but again I must point out that for some bizarre reason I can't see, 77 South backs up in the afternoon through the Lake Norman area the way it does in the morning. People complaining about this traffic are not exaggerating. The other important thing is that 485 will be widened near Ballantyne soon, cannot imagine what that will do to traffic in both directions.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:20 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
I think the issue up north is that 77 is the central artery for Huntersville and Cornelius... it's not working like an interstate but "the main drag" connecting everybody. I've noticed it being clogged on weekends as well so it's not a rush hour issue... Just comes with the growth since these are not small bedroom communities anymore.

And it'll probably get worse when the last section of 485 completes and more traffic from the university area can flow onto 77.

Sorry to belabor the point for the O.P. but I would not want to face *either* commute. If you absolutely must do this, my suggestion would be somewhere in southwest Charlotte, around Arrowwood road & South Blvd. That way the Ballantyne commuter can if necessary take city streets when the 485 widening begins, and the Mooresville commuter can take 77 north (EARLY before the uptown rush begins).

Maybe locating just off 485 at Tryon or Arrowood would be OK. Then take 485 around the west side of the city up to Mooresville, and the Ballantyne commuter can if necessary use Westinghouse or HWY51 to go east when 485 is under construction.

If they like any of the neighborhoods adjoining uptown, I suppose living right close to 277 is another option. The Ballantyne commuter will always be driving south on city streets though (Park Road probably).

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 07-04-2012 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 08:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
I have to add my two cents to the suggestion of exit 23 in Huntersville as someone who routinely drives from exit 10 in Uptown to exit 23 or 25 (or even 19) depending on the severity of conditions. This is absolutely going to be a hellishly long commute for your wife. It used to be that 77 started backing up around mile marker 22 and Huntersville had an escape route. No more... traffic now backs up starting at mile marker 19, and sometimes goes all the way back to exit 18. The sign above the highway said this last Thursday, at mile marker 17... "Average Travel Time to Mooresville, Exit 30, 71 minutes"... I kid you not. Living in the city, if you have the budget to support it, is definitely an option, but again I must point out that for some bizarre reason I can't see, 77 South backs up in the afternoon through the Lake Norman area the way it does in the morning. People complaining about this traffic are not exaggerating. The other important thing is that 485 will be widened near Ballantyne soon, cannot imagine what that will do to traffic in both directions.
Well, this is why Huntersville would not be my top choice for them either.

It's an option, only IF his wife is willing to handle the worse commute

Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
You can can get to 485 fairly easily without getting on 77 from the Gilead Rd area, but of course you still have to deal with that bad stretch of 485 just before Ballantyne.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 AM

16 posts, read 29,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Given your requirements, I recommend Huntersville around Gilead Rd. (exit 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Actually agree with you here in that would be a good location. Doing a quick search it does look like there's a fair amount available in that price range (zip would be 28078 but in the southern part). I guess the only problem would be that is giving the OP a little easier commute than his wife which from his previous posts makes it sound like he might be a little more tolerant of commutes than her.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I think/hope I can make her go a little more..

Old 07-05-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Living more in the middle is definitely a better option for sure.

Your problem will be finding a house anywhere in uptown, or right around it, in your price range that's in a good neighborhood.

So here's my suggestion...

The neighborhoods just below uptown Charlotte called Sedgefield and Dilworth.

Another possibility would be Huntersville near the interstate (close to exit 23), but I wouldn't go further north than that or the Ballantyne commuter will be unhappy!

I'll look online to see if I can send you a few links to places
Thanks a lot for the PM. I will definitely check them out.

I guess I can convince 'the Ballantyne commuter' to go some extra miles

Last edited by saiias; 07-05-2012 at 04:42 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
So what I understand is that coming from Charlotte in morning, can be quite painful. what about going to Charlotte in the Morning and coming back from Charlotte in evenings? Is the reverse traffic that bad too?

Old 07-05-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
but I would not want to face *either* commute. If you absolutely must do this, my suggestion would be somewhere in southwest Charlotte, around Arrowwood road & South Blvd. That way the Ballantyne commuter can if necessary take city streets when the 485 widening begins, and the Mooresville commuter can take 77 north (EARLY before the uptown rush begins).

Maybe locating just off 485 at Tryon or Arrowood would be OK. Then take 485 around the west side of the city up to Mooresville, and the Ballantyne commuter can if necessary use Westinghouse or HWY51 to go east when 485 is under construction.

If they like any of the neighborhoods adjoining uptown, I suppose living right close to 277 is another option. The Ballantyne commuter will always be driving south on city streets though (Park Road probably).
Hmm.. looks like interesting options. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte