Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:31 PM

81 posts, read 214,405 times

Advertisements

We are originally from Ohio. Wife was offered a position she couldn't refuse so we came to Phoenix. We are now in a situation that we can relocate and we always liked Charlotte. Due to our trips to Florida from Ohio.
I also would come to High Point in late July to race boats.
So question is we've seen some Phoenix transplants on the form. How is life compared to PHX and Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
I am not from Phoenix but have spoken with several from the area and they all enjoy living in the Charlotte area.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I am not from Phoenix but have spoken with several from the area and they all enjoy living in the Charlotte area.
Agreed. The Phoenix area is great to visit, but the living seems better in the Carolina's

Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
As one who moved from Charlotte to Phoenix (for job reasons) I will share my experience and opinion, which may not be worth much! Lol! The two cities are opposite so it's probably not good to compare which is "better". Both have their pros and cons, however, I will try to share some of the differences most noticable to me.

Charlotte is a modern southern city with all that comes along with it. Phoenix is a southwestern city close to L.A. and Vegas (and the varying influences). Charlotte is a green, sub-tropical environment whereas Phoenix is, as you know, a dry, arid environment. That simply means that Charlotte has a lot more humidity than Phoenix and gets more precipitation.

Charlotte is more urban and while it is growing it's not near as spread out or as large as Phoenix. Both cities have cerain things going for them in that Charlotte represents the "new" south and Phoenix the "new" west, if you will. Charlotte has a little more history under its belt than Phoenix, in terms of being a city.

Looking demographically, it appears that Charlotte may be more diverse in terms of ethnic groups than Phoenix, but that is probably a result of it being older. The people: I found Southerners to be warm and open. While people are warm in Phoenix as well, there is more of a "live and let live" vibe. People don't tend to go out of their way to engage here, but once the ice is broken they can be quite warm.

Nature: As stated earlier, if you like greenery then Charlotte is your place! The city has lakes and ponds within close proximity. However, if you like the desert landscape (which has its own beauty!) of dramatic views, sunsets, etc., then that's Phoenix.

Economy: Charlotte is the No. 2 banking center in the nation. When I lived there I worked for NationsBanc (before it became Bank of America) and it was like having a Visa platinum! Wherever I went in the city if someone found out I worked there I usually got favorable treatment. It's sort of that way in Phoenix, however, but with the IT companies.
The recent recession has both cities in recovery, but Phoenix's economy seems to be doing a bit better at this point with a lower unemployment rate. I do think Charlotte has a more diverse economic base, though.

Good luck on your move and I hope you enjoy your new home in the beautiful Carolinas!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
As one who moved from Charlotte to Phoenix (for job reasons) I will share my experience and opinion, which may not be worth much! Lol! The two cities are opposite so it's probably not good to compare which is "better". Both have their pros and cons, however, I will try to share some of the differences most noticable to me.

Charlotte is a modern southern city with all that comes along with it. Phoenix is a southwestern city close to L.A. and Vegas (and the varying influences). Charlotte is a green, sub-tropical environment whereas Phoenix is, as you know, a dry, arid environment. That simply means that Charlotte has a lot more humidity than Phoenix and gets more precipitation.

Charlotte is more urban and while it is growing it's not near as spread out or as large as Phoenix. Both cities have cerain things going for them in that Charlotte represents the "new" south and Phoenix the "new" west, if you will. Charlotte has a little more history under its belt than Phoenix, in terms of being a city.

Looking demographically, it appears that Charlotte may be more diverse in terms of ethnic groups than Phoenix, but that is probably a result of it being older. The people: I found Southerners to be warm and open. While people are warm in Phoenix as well, there is more of a "live and let live" vibe. People don't tend to go out of their way to engage here, but once the ice is broken they can be quite warm.

Nature: As stated earlier, if you like greenery then Charlotte is your place! The city has lakes and ponds within close proximity. However, if you like the desert landscape (which has its own beauty!) of dramatic views, sunsets, etc., then that's Phoenix.

Economy: Charlotte is the No. 2 banking center in the nation. When I lived there I worked for NationsBanc (before it became Bank of America) and it was like having a Visa platinum! Wherever I went in the city if someone found out I worked there I usually got favorable treatment. It's sort of that way in Phoenix, however, but with the IT companies.
The recent recession has both cities in recovery, but Phoenix's economy seems to be doing a bit better at this point with a lower unemployment rate. I do think Charlotte has a more diverse economic base, though.

Good luck on your move and I hope you enjoy your new home in the beautiful Carolinas!
excellent post!
For people I know made the move, the greenery and the four seasons in Charlotte it is a definite tipping point.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM

81 posts, read 214,405 times
Wife is an RN what are some of the better hospitals to work for in the area.
I'm a machinist, also with a background in boating. So I expect I will be looking for a while.

Please keep the info coming in.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:42 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post

Nice. That was a thorough response. I have driven out west a few times and I do find the desert landscape appealing. Love the rock formations, sunrise and sunsets. Really beautiful to see in person.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:08 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
It's a wet heat.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC58 View Post
Wife is an RN what are some of the better hospitals to work for in the area.
I'm a machinist, also with a background in boating. So I expect I will be looking for a while.

Please keep the info coming in.
CMC is the largest system in the area. Search the forum for RN & you will find a lot of threads. You'll probably have more luck west of Charlotte & possibly even in Sopartanburg.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:16 PM

196 posts, read 428,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It's a wet heat.

There is something to be said for the dry heat, but this is my 2nd summer here and having lived in AZ for pretty much my entire life (4 of those in PHX), I don't feel like the summers here have that been that bad. Then again...it's only July 8th...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte