Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM

186 posts, read 436,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
On july 4th a neighbor set off MANY VERY LARGE EXPLODING ROCKETS. With the very dry conditions there was a true hazard of falling sparks setting anything within several hundred yards on fire. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again. The police evidently will not enforce the fire works laws even for a major violator . I know that there are far too many people breaking the fire works laws for the cops to even try to arrest them BUT it was very evident to anyone within a mile of here that this was a MAJOR VIOLATION YET NOTHING WAS DONE TO STOP IT.. I do plan to contact the neighborhood watch leader and see what she has to say about this...I want it stopped. I pay for police protection yet the cops have chosen NOT to enforce the law.
I'm with you, not only is July 4th no longer a single day as some posters would have us believe, but we're talking about dangerous explosives, and yes, this can set your house on fire among other things. For some reason, fireworks are now set off by my neighbors for several weeks before and after July 4th, not to mention for every other holiday in between. I was recently made aware that Father's Day is now also a fireworks occasion. And no the police won't do anything. I've wondered if providing a list of the replacement cost of my belongings to the fireworks afiaciandos would help (here's your bill!), but usually people who aren't afraid of setting stuff on fire don't have much to lose anyway, so what would be the point? So, make sure your homeowners insurance is current and have the camera ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 PM

446 posts, read 831,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The rule for trash cans is they must not be out past midnight on the day of pickup. Grass can't be more than 12" tall. Just an FYI.

I know, I looked up the rules after we got those idiotic citations. Our trash cans were back up by the garage before midnight and the grass has never, ever been more than a foot tall or even close to it. I admit it might have been around 6", which is too high for me. I have to wonder if the woman who sent us those citations had a quota to meet or something. We looked up her address...silly woman is actually listed in the 'phone book'! I called her office number tho and asked her if I were to measure her grass periodically would I possibly find that she might be against code on occasion?

Oh, and to the guy filing a complaint against his neighbors...if they were doing this at 2 am, the police should have been called and they should have showed up. I'll give you that. Also, it wasn't dry in my neighborhood, it rained the evening/late afternoon of July 4th in some parts of the city. Also, we've decided we're going to shoot the rest off in a huge empty parking lot to an office complex where my neighbor works. That way nothing is around but asphalt.

I totally agree that it can be dangerous.....I know it's against the "law", I understand that this law is in place because the state thinks that they will keep us safer by not allowing real fireworks to be bought/sold/used in the state. But one has to wonder how much money we send south of the border every year in sales tax, not to mention the small businesses that make oodles of money this time of year. Just sayin.....

Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The rule for trash cans is they must not be out past midnight on the day of pickup. Grass can't be more than 12" tall. Just an FYI.
OMG Charlotte has a law about trash cans. Just nuts People wonder why this country is going to hell.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This isn't about solving world problems. It's about fireworks, fire and safety.
Again MY POINT IS THAT THIS ISN'T A BIG ISSUE. $225,000 In firework damages in one year. We have more than that in one day in car crashes alone. All of you people that think fireworks are a big deal need help. You get too worked up over small things. Get a life and mind your own damn business.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 PM

162 posts, read 240,212 times
Ok let's just cancel the 4th of July and all go live in a bubble where life is safe and the government can protect us always. What the hell happened to America! The land of rugged individualism has turned into the land of whiners about what if's! What if they started a fire, what if someone got hurt, statistics show some damage-blah,blah,blah. Life happens, and that's why we have bandaids. Just be thankful you live in America and can celebrate FREEDOM for one friggin day, now I have to go put a helmet and some armor on because I am taking my dog for a walk and I may slip, or a branch might fall on me or someone may have left trash in the street and I may trip on it.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
I'm with you, not only is July 4th no longer a single day as some posters would have us believe, but we're talking about dangerous explosives, and yes, this can set your house on fire among other things. For some reason, fireworks are now set off by my neighbors for several weeks before and after July 4th, not to mention for every other holiday in between. I was recently made aware that Father's Day is now also a fireworks occasion. And no the police won't do anything. I've wondered if providing a list of the replacement cost of my belongings to the fireworks afiaciandos would help (here's your bill!), but usually people who aren't afraid of setting stuff on fire don't have much to lose anyway, so what would be the point? So, make sure your homeowners insurance is current and have the camera ready.
I am sure I can put a stop to it but I shouldnt be the one having to do so. If the guy using his yard as the launch pad has a mortgage he will then have required fire insurance. A simple letter to his mortgage company detaining the legal liability concerns will for sure either have them up his rates or most likely cancel his policy. Also a certified letter to the local fire chief with safety concerns will force a follow up investigation and that too would stop it...Its just that I dont want to have to "be the bad guy" and do it. The cops are paid so citizens will not have to petition for enforcement..The OP was to test the waters of public opinion about this fire hazard and see if most agree I am being fair which they do.. thanks again....

Old 07-11-2012, 04:30 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Again MY POINT IS THAT THIS ISN'T A BIG ISSUE. $225,000 In firework damages in one year. We have more than that in one day in car crashes alone. All of you people that think fireworks are a big deal need help. You get too worked up over small things. Get a life and mind your own damn business.
I understood what you were trying to say. It's a logical fallacy. If it is your house that suffers the $225,000 damages, or even more, a loved one or pet dies, then it's a big issue.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
Ok let's just cancel the 4th of July and all go live in a bubble where life is safe and the government can protect us always. ....
Well I do agree with keeping government bureaucrats out of people's lives. Back in the 60s when a bunch of kids were lighting up fireworks in front of the house, my Dad told them to go away. When they didn't, he lit up a M80 (they were legal then) and tossed in in the middle of the bunch. Ka-Boom!!! After the screams of horror had stopped, was quiet the rest of the night and no more fireworks displays in front of the house. Problem solved and the kids got an education.

Try that now and unfortunately you go to jail. So because of this, government is the only place to go to solve a similar issue.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 AM

162 posts, read 240,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Well I do agree with keeping government bureaucrats out of people's lives. Back in the 60s when a bunch of kids were lighting up fireworks in front of the house, my Dad told them to go away. When they didn't, he lit up a M80 (they were legal then) and tossed in in the middle of the bunch. Ka-Boom. After the screams of horror had stopped, was quiet the rest of the night and no more fireworks displays in front of the house. Problem solved and the kids got an education.

Try that now and unfortunately you go to jail. So because of this, government is the only place to go to solve a similar issue.
UMMM-NO! What your dad did was actually A CRIME and the authorities needed to be called. Who in their right minds would actually throw fireworks at people. I would hope if somebody threw an M80(which I don't think they even make anymore-the larger firecrackers are now smaler than the M80) at another person they would be locked up-that is a POLICE MATTER. Calling the Police on a neighbor on the 4th of July because you feel something MAY happen is RIDICULOUS.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
UMMM-NO! What your dad did was actually A CRIME and the authorities needed to be called.
Exactly what crime did he commit in the 1960s? In those days if you called the police to such an event, they would have told the kids they were lucky that's all they got.

I do agree that a M80 creates quite a boom. if you toss one in a 50 gallon drum of water it will mostly empty it out when it explodes, if it doesn't blow a hole in the side of the thing. It's good for fishing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte