Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 18,535 times

Advertisements

If I am looking for a new home in the $500K range and will be working in downtown Charlotte (BAC or Wachovia) and good schools are very important, where would you suggest looking for a home.

All I read is about how horrible the traffic to Charlotte is and it's scaring me a little..well, more than a little. One reason I want to relocate is to improve quality of life and if I'm commuting 2+ hrs a day I 'm not sure how happy I'll be!

I was considering Ft Mill, Lake Wylie, Marvin and Davidson but am open for suggestions and at this point I'm not sure that any of these offer a decent commute to work.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 07:02 PM

56 posts, read 221,382 times
All those areas that you mentioned are nice and you can reach "uptown" as we call it here within 2 hours, but if you want to be closer in within an 1hr commute you might want to consider South Charlotte... Southpark, Foxcroft, Cotswald areas. You can find homes in the 500 range there, some might need a little work. You can definately find some in Cotswald area for that price that might be all fixed up. They have good schools and depending on what time you leave to go to work you could have a 25 min commute to an 1hr....all depends on the time you leave. If you go further south near the Arboretum or Pineview areas you will have about a 45 min to an hour commute, good schools and could find something in your price range on the home.
Cotswald would be where I would start in that price range.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:50 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,053 times
Are you set on new construction? Or would you be interested in resales?

Old 09-30-2007, 05:40 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascalisi View Post
If I am looking for a new home in the $500K range and will be working in downtown Charlotte (BAC or Wachovia) and good schools are very important, where would you suggest looking for a home.

All I read is about how horrible the traffic to Charlotte is and it's scaring me a little..well, more than a little. One reason I want to relocate is to improve quality of life and if I'm commuting 2+ hrs a day I 'm not sure how happy I'll be!

I was considering Ft Mill, Lake Wylie, Marvin and Davidson but am open for suggestions and at this point I'm not sure that any of these offer a decent commute to work.

Thanks!
You may also want to consider eastern Gaston county.

McAdenville/Mount Holly/Belmont

Old 09-30-2007, 11:46 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Just my opinion, for best commute and the best schools that come with that good commute, you need to look in south Charlotte with Hwy 51 as the southern most boundry. This will not get you in a brand new home in your price range, but you can get a beautiful home in an established area (which fares better on resale due to proximity to uptown).

Old 09-30-2007, 12:10 PM

113 posts, read 443,103 times
You didn't say where you were from but by your commute probably somewhere in the NE... in which case you'll be happy to hear, despite many of the posts here, that traffic isn't "horrible" and the quality of life is by most accounts quite good.

I like LM recomendations for S Charlotte on the Charlotte side of Rt 51. You may windup just outside Rt 51, and that could be OK too, tons to choose from. Many nice neighborhoods with some of the very best schools in the county- and for you naysayers some of the best in the country, in S. Charlotte.

You can see test scores/school size and demo's at ncreportcards.org. Have a look at Elizabeth Lane, Old Providence, and Providence Spring elementary. All excellent.

If you are looking for a little more "life" in each day, come visit Charlotte,Moderator cut: tos violation
Charlotte is congested, but its easy to avoid as well. Moderator cut: tos violation .

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-17-2007 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-30-2007, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 18,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMcDonald View Post
You didn't say where you were from but by your commute probably somewhere in the NE... in which case you'll be happy to hear, despite many of the posts here, that traffic isn't "horrible" and the quality of life is by most accounts quite good.

I like LM recomendations for S Charlotte on the Charlotte side of Rt 51. You may windup just outside Rt 51, and that could be OK too, tons to choose from. Many nice neighborhoods with some of the very best schools in the county- and for you naysayers some of the best in the country, in S. Charlotte.

You can see test scores/school size and demo's at ncreportcards.org. Have a look at Elizabeth Lane, Old Providence, and Providence Spring elementary. All excellent.

If you are looking for a little more "life" in each day, come visit Charlotte, I'd be happy to show you around and look at some houses.

Charlotte is congested, but its easy to avoid as well. pm me for more.
Thanks, Terri. What areas specifically are you speaking of?

Old 09-30-2007, 12:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Thanks, Terri. What areas specifically are you speaking of?
He most likely means the rest of south Charlotte beyond hwy 51

Which is an awesome area with the best schools, but the commute gets rougher from that far out. That's why I told you for "best commute" to be inside hwy 51.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
I'd consider the Fort Mill/Lake Wylie area. Definitely some of the best schools in the region, and the commute isn't bad either (give yourself about 30 minutes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte