U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times

Advertisements

According to building permits filed recently, Wal-Mart is working on a Neighborhood Market store in a shopping center on Independence Boulevard in former Best Buy building.

I think Wal Mart is looking to become the only store to go to. In the 90's they took over the market with department stores, squeezing out independent stores and cutting or closing business of other department store chains and now they looking in taking over the grocery business and pharmacy buisness.

Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets, which are basically like traditional supermarkets. They offer full lines of produce, dry goods, bakery, deli, health and beauty goods, household supplies and a pharmacy.

What's In Store: Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market is coming

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:10 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,152,660 times
That's a shame.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,940,752 times
I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM

162 posts, read 351,401 times
I honestly will go buy whatever it is I want to buy, at the place who will sell it to me for the least amount of money. I have no shame in going to Walmart. I am loyal to my bank account.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM

11,773 posts, read 9,384,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbri20 View Post
I honestly will go buy whatever it is I want to buy, at the place who will sell it to me for the least amount of money. I have no shame in going to Walmart. I am loyal to my bank account.
I feel the same way but I also know Wal-Mart and my loyalty to my wallet are directly responsible for some of the family businesses closing..

Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,374,134 times
Good to see! More competition for Harris Teeter. I like the prices of Wal Mart groceries, but don't like driving out to the suburbs. Hopefully we will see more of these in-town before too long.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,351,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
According to building permits filed recently, Wal-Mart is working on a Neighborhood Market store in a shopping center on Independence Boulevard in former Best Buy building.

I think Wal Mart is looking to become the only store to go to. In the 90's they took over the market with department stores, squeezing out independent stores and cutting or closing business of other department store chains and now they looking in taking over the grocery business and pharmacy buisness.

Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets, which are basically like traditional supermarkets. They offer full lines of produce, dry goods, bakery, deli, health and beauty goods, household supplies and a pharmacy.

What's In Store: Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market is coming
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
They have positioned themselves to do exactly that. Now they have the clout to take over a variety of businesses if they choose to. Soon their only major competition will be the internet. Amazon has announced they are planning for next day or even same day delivery, which for many things negates the need for any retailer.

When I was on the advisory board of a major specialty retailer, I was presented with study after study saying people are willing to pay for better service, better this, better that, etc. I asked "Then why is Walmart so huge, and growing, while specialty retailers are going out of business every day? I think far more people are looking for cheap prices on cheap stuff." My opinion was shot down and pooh-poohed by upper management.

Then we went out of business. Go figure.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:23 AM

11,773 posts, read 9,384,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

Then we went out of business. Go figure.
This isn't funny...

but I laughed.

Some big wigs refuse to see the obvious...

I don't like what Walmart represents but my pockets like cheap prices.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM

5,889 posts, read 7,746,215 times
But part of the appeal of Wal-Mart is that it's one-stop shopping. I don't know how I'd feel about going to a Walmart that's only a grocery store. Especially for this store in particular when there are already 2 Supercenters within 4 miles, one of which that's brand new.

I guess it will appeal to people who like the price at Walmart but are overwhelmed by the size and crowds. But I'm not sure if this will be any better in the crowd department.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,026,790 times
Places like Wal-mart, CVS, and Wal-greens offer supermarket-like shopping items in areas of town that most traditional supermarkets have abandoned for the burbs. One such area of Charlotte that comes to mind is the stretch from Southend down to Tyvola road. Try finding a Bilo, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, or Trader Joes in this area of town. The drug stores serve as mini-markets to this part of town. However, if you travel down Kenilworth Ave/Park Rd, you will find 3 Harris Teeters, a Trader Joes, and a Food Lion in that 4-5 mile stretch. Clearly, the supermarkets have their pick of certain areas, while Wal-mart and the drug stores have their's. That said, I welcome the new addition of a Neighborhood Market even if it is a stone throw away from Matthews. IMO, Southend would be a better location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte