U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 AM

341 posts, read 689,153 times

Advertisements

This has actually been making me mad because people keep bringing up the parking deck incident and cheap construction, etc. on here and many different sites.

First of all, the part that had the roof collapse was built in 1970. That has nothing to do with cheap construction. It is likely the oldest mall still open in the Carolinas.

Now, to the parking deck. The only reason why it collapsed was because a woman had a heart attack and was driving easily over 40 MPH. What do you think would happen anyway if someone was driving that fast? The only way people should be scared is if this would have happened without excessive speeding and little/no rain.

Lastly, people seem to not acknowledge how great SouthPark is for Charlotte (not really on here) The mall made over $726 per square foot in 2010, and I'm sure that number has increased since then. Think of all the tax money that brings in? I'm pretty sure I have heard Northlake is only in the 300's, the national average. Considering Northlake is much smaller than SouthPark (around 600,000 square feet smaller...the size of Belk and Dillard's at SouthPark combined). Heck, I went to both malls on Saturday and I'm pretty sure SouthPark still had more people on Saturday afternoon with just 12 stores open than Northlake did on Saturday evening.

I'm just really glad that you guys aren't being ignorant and saying that they should just move all the stores to Eastland or tear the mall down and start over (Yes, people really said that).

Obviously this incident wasn't even that bad since the whole mall should be opening tomorrow. I know Gap isn't, but I'm not sure about BR. Gap is opening at the end of the month/beginning of next month in their new store, as far as I know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 AM

8,402 posts, read 21,641,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
This could be poor construction of course but since reports state that water poured in, perhaps the problem could have been a large amount of water on the roof. That could be caused by something as simple as a blocked drainage pipe.

Until the official investigation is complete and its findings published we should not over-speculate, imo.

It is fortunate that nobody got seriously hurt or killed.
A buddy is a civil engineer who does loss investigation for an insurance company. He told me about a roof collapse that was caused by blocked drains. The estimate is that the roof supported more than 3 times its design spec before it failed.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:47 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,174,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
This has actually been making me mad because people keep bringing up the parking deck incident and cheap construction, etc. on here and many different sites.

First of all, the part that had the roof collapse was built in 1970. That has nothing to do with cheap construction. It is likely the oldest mall still open in the Carolinas.

Now, to the parking deck. The only reason why it collapsed was because a woman had a heart attack and was driving easily over 40 MPH. What do you think would happen anyway if someone was driving that fast? The only way people should be scared is if this would have happened without excessive speeding and little/no rain.

Lastly, people seem to not acknowledge how great SouthPark is for Charlotte (not really on here) The mall made over $726 per square foot in 2010, and I'm sure that number has increased since then. Think of all the tax money that brings in? I'm pretty sure I have heard Northlake is only in the 300's, the national average. Considering Northlake is much smaller than SouthPark (around 600,000 square feet smaller...the size of Belk and Dillard's at SouthPark combined). Heck, I went to both malls on Saturday and I'm pretty sure SouthPark still had more people on Saturday afternoon with just 12 stores open than Northlake did on Saturday evening.

I'm just really glad that you guys aren't being ignorant and saying that they should just move all the stores to Eastland or tear the mall down and start over (Yes, people really said that).

Obviously this incident wasn't even that bad since the whole mall should be opening tomorrow. I know Gap isn't, but I'm not sure about BR. Gap is opening at the end of the month/beginning of next month in their new store, as far as I know.
There is nothing wrong with questioning such things, for heaven's sake. I have been a big proponent of SP Mall for decades.

It should be questioned and answers should be provided for the public good. If the situation is one of "backed up water pipes or drains" or whatever, then the public should be informed.

If it is substandard materials - or caused by a flaw in design - then that should be disclosed, as well.

We are all well aware of the popularity of SP Mall. It is certainly my favorite mall in this state. Asking questions about public safety is prudent.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,235,022 times
Quote:
First of all, the part that had the roof collapse was built in 1970. That has nothing to do with cheap construction. It is likely the oldest mall still open in the Carolinas. .
In Charlotte, I'd say that distinction would go to the Tryon Mall which opened in 1967 and which is still operating as the Asian Corners mall. This makes it 3 years older than Southpark. It's been open continuously since that time. When it opened in 1967 it was anchored by Woolco and Collins department store and contained all the common mall stores of the day on the inside and on it's exterior. Woolco was much like the former Woolworth's at SP, and Collins was a competitor to Belk. It also had a movie theatre in the parking lot as SP did back in the day.

As far as I know, the roof has never collapsed at the Tryon Mall

Both malls are much different now than they were when they opened but of the two, I'd say the Asian mall much more resembles it's original form than does Southpark.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
Could not have said it better myself. I know people who drive out of state (even Atlanta) to SouthPark.
I can see why, too. The malls in Atlanta are just okay. Phipps is too expensive but has Legoland now, so that's weird. Also, it's pretty empty and I don't like that too much. Mall of Georgia is basically a regular mall with a Nordstrom attached, and Lenox is nice, but it is WAY WAY more crowded than SouthPark, and has a pretty good amount of people going there to hang out, and if you get too close to the cheaper stores, there are so many people who aren't very classy. Plus, the mall doesn't look that nice except for the Neiman Marcus wing. Then Perimeter isn't quite as big (or at least it seems that way) and not quite as upscale, and IMO doesn't look as good as Lenox and definitely SouthPark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There is nothing wrong with questioning such things, for heaven's sake. I have been a big proponent of SP Mall for decades.

It should be questioned and answers should be provided for the public good. If the situation is one of "backed up water pipes or drains" or whatever, then the public should be informed.

If it is substandard materials - or caused by a flaw in design - then that should be disclosed, as well.

We are all well aware of the popularity of SP Mall. It is certainly my favorite mall in this state. Asking questions about public safety is prudent.
I was mostly just getting at the annoying people posting on the Charlotte Observer, etc. that just make dumb, ignorant comments. I do agree, and I do want to know what was wrong. But it isn't cheap materials considering the most rain we ever get here is about an inch over a few hours, but SouthPark got 3 inches in 45 minutes. I don't think a lot of roofs could stand that anyway, certainly not one built in 1970.

Regardless, SP is a great mall and no matter what went wrong I think we will all still shop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
In Charlotte, I'd say that distinction would go to the Tryon Mall which opened in 1967 and which is still operating as the Asian Corners mall. This makes it 3 years older than Southpark. It's been open continuously since that time. When it opened in 1967 it was anchored by Woolco and Collins department store and contained all the common mall stores of the day on the inside and on it's exterior. Woolco was much like the former Woolworth's at SP, and Collins was a competitor to Belk. It also had a movie theatre in the parking lot as SP did back in the day.

As far as I know, the roof has never collapsed at the Tryon Mall

Both malls are much different now than they were when they opened but of the two, I'd say the Asian mall much more resembles it's original form than does Southpark.
I seem to forget about that mall, always. SouthPark is certainly the second oldest mall in NC, then.

Like I said earlier, I doubt that the Tryon Mall had to deal with 3 inches of rain in 45 minutes, that's an inch every 15 minutes. The Asheville area seems to get only an inch in a few hours on normal occasions.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,235,022 times
Quote:
Like I said earlier, I doubt that the Tryon Mall had to deal with 3 inches of rain in 45 minutes, that's an inch every 15 minutes. The Asheville area seems to get only an inch in a few hours on normal occasions.
I can't say, but I do know it survived Hurricane Hugo as I was living in that area when the hurricane hit Charlotte. The former Winn Dixie, which was constructed out of the former Woolco, was one of the first stores to reopen after the storm. If what is said is true about the storm drains, it sounds as if the Southpark collapse came from lack of proper maintenance more than anything else. It seems amazing maintenance was so lacking in a mall that generates so much revenue.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM

All of the mall is opening tomorrow, with the exception of:

Abercrombie
Abercrombie & Fitch
American Eagle
Bakers
Banana Republic
Bath & Body Works
Bebe
Body Central
Brighton
Cache
Charlotte Gift Company
Express
Francesca's
Gap/Gap Kids
Godiva
Guess
Gymboree
Justice
Lily Pulitzer (opening Thursday)
Lucky Brand
Marmi
Nine West
Pottery Barn
Rockport
Sephora
Skechers
Solstice
Sur La Table
Swarovski
The Art of Shaving
True Religion
United Colors of Benneton
Vera Bradley
Wentworth Gallery

It just seems random at this point. Express is no where near where it happened, but they can't open for some reason. I would expect the rest to open Thursday or Friday at the latest, with the exclusion of Banana and Gap. Banana will probably take a while but Gap will open in their new location next month.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 AM

As far as I know, the following stores will NOT be open today:
Abercrombie & Fitch (re-opening August 3)
Bakers
Banana Republic
Bath & Body Works
Bebe
Body Central
Brighton
Cache
Charlotte Gift Company
Express
Francesca's
Gap/Gap Kids
Godiva
Guess
Gymboree
Justice
Marmi
Nine West
Pottery Barn
Rockport
Sephora
Solstice
Sur La Table
Swarovski
The Art of Shaving
True Religion
Vera Bradley
Wentworth Gallery
Yoforia

Some of these stores may be open, but any store not on the list is definitely open.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Wentworth Gallery is now open.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Abercrombie & Fitch (re-opening August 3)
Bakers
Banana Republic
Bath & Body Works
Bebe
Body Central
Brighton
Charlotte Gift Company
Gap/Gap Kids (opening in August in new space)
Godiva
Gymboree (reopening next week)
Justice
Pottery Barn
Rockport
Solstice
Swarovski (Reopening September 15)
The Art of Shaving
True Religion
Vera Bradley
Yoforia

I would think all stores would be open by the end of September, and Banana would probably open around Christmastime or early 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte