Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:15 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times

Advertisements

It's like....how in the hell did my best friend in Ohio rear end an Amish guy driving a horse drawn carriage.
He said he did not see it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Maybe it is high time to have a public campaign in
the proper bike riding rules.
are there any rules? and are they updated?
I am from a european country and believe me safety campaigns were
a steady thing , we even had to take safety bike riding courses.
I also see many bike riders ignore common rules , blowing thru red lights , riding up trhu traffic on four lane roads, etc.
but attribute much of this to there not being space allowed for bikes in the road picture.
I always wonder if a lot of bicyclists even know that they must obey the rules of the road. There are so many I see (not saying all) that don't stop at stop signs or red lights. Do they not know, or are they that full of themselves that rules don't apply to them? I also wonder if they act the same way when driving... Are they the ones rolling through stop signs, tapping their breaks for a second as if that counts as stopping...

I was stopped at a stop sign the other week. Looked both ways, their were no cars anywhere, so I started turning right. As I was turning a bike comes flying down the hill behind me, begins to pass me on the right side of my car (as I'm turning right), and swerves around the front of my car (again as it is moving), and continues going straight. I was looking at where I was turning, and didn't even see the bicyclist until he was passing my car. Yes, maybe the hill caused them to go faster then they thought they would, but if you can't break, don't swerve in front of the car! Thats just the dumbest thing ever. They were less then an inch from the front of my car when I slammed on the breaks. I was turning, so I was still going slow, but even a little bump to the side would have knocked them off their bike. And how where they to know I wasn't a dumb*** who likes to peel out from stop signs (I'm not)? Just as a car won't win if it looses at playing chicken with a train, a bicycle isn't going to win against a car.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I always wonder if a lot of bicyclists even know that they must obey the rules of the road. There are so many I see (not saying all) that don't stop at stop signs or red lights. Do they not know, or are they that full of themselves that rules don't apply to them? I also wonder if they act the same way when driving... Are they the ones rolling through stop signs, tapping their breaks for a second as if that counts as stopping...

I was stopped at a stop sign the other week. Looked both ways, their were no cars anywhere, so I started turning right. As I was turning a bike comes flying down the hill behind me, begins to pass me on the right side of my car (as I'm turning right), and swerves around the front of my car (again as it is moving), and continues going straight. I was looking at where I was turning, and didn't even see the bicyclist until he was passing my car. Yes, maybe the hill caused them to go faster then they thought they would, but if you can't break, don't swerve in front of the car! Thats just the dumbest thing ever. They were less then an inch from the front of my car when I slammed on the breaks. I was turning, so I was still going slow, but even a little bump to the side would have knocked them off their bike. And how where they to know I wasn't a dumb*** who likes to peel out from stop signs (I'm not)? Just as a car won't win if it looses at playing chicken with a train, a bicycle isn't going to win against a car.
As an urban biker, I can't help but find some of these posts offensive.

As a motorist, I've been passed by the occasional biker who is "lane splitting". They are able to negotiate traffic jams and bottlenecks with ease, that's half the reason to ride a bike! These guys are usually moving not much faster than a pedestrian in these situations, sometimes they move as fast a quick jog...

Now compare that to my experience *as a biker*. CONSTANTLY being passed by cars "lane splitting", passed on double yellows and being passed at by cars moving MUCH, MUCH faster than me. They often "hug" my flank as they pass, not providing much cushion if I or they were to suddenly swerve. Yet how many threads are there from bikers whining about that activity? We (bikers) are supposed to suck it up, wait in traffic jams and not switch to pedestrian mode just because the suburbanites are upset about their terrible commutes? Forgive me for being so bold, but if so many of you are so easily upset behind the wheel maybe y'all should consider not driving so much, lol.

I'll make a deal. If I can take a three mile ride and not be passed by a car breaking any laws, I'll follow every traffic law that cars are subject to. I'll also tell you now that it will *never* happen!

Folks, this is a CITY. bikers will be more and more common. It's best to recognize they are there and suffer the minor inconveniences they expose you to. I guarantee you most bikers drive too! At the end of the day, we all just want to get home safely to hug our wives and play with our children...

Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 PM

714 posts, read 2,306,542 times
Now compare that to my experience *as a biker*. CONSTANTLY being passed by cars "lane splitting", passed on double yellows and being passed at by cars moving MUCH, MUCH faster than me. They often "hug" my flank as they pass, not providing much cushion if I or they were to suddenly swerve. Yet how many threads are there from bikers whining about that activity? We (bikers) are supposed to suck it up, wait in traffic jams and not switch to pedestrian mode just because the suburbanites are upset about their terrible commutes? Forgive me for being so bold, but if so many of you are so easily upset behind the wheel maybe y'all should consider not driving so much, lol.

Hear hear, Native Son! Can't give you more reputation until I spread some around, but you're spot on!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM

183 posts, read 383,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
As an urban biker, I can't help but find some of these posts offensive.

As a motorist, I've been passed by the occasional biker who is "lane splitting". They are able to negotiate traffic jams and bottlenecks with ease, that's half the reason to ride a bike! These guys are usually moving not much faster than a pedestrian in these situations, sometimes they move as fast a quick jog...

I'll make a deal. If I can take a three mile ride and not be passed by a car breaking any laws, I'll follow every traffic law that cars are subject to. I'll also tell you now that it will *never* happen!

Folks, this is a CITY. bikers will be more and more common. It's best to recognize they are there and suffer the minor inconveniences they expose you to. I guarantee you most bikers drive too! At the end of the day, we all just want to get home safely to hug our wives and play with our children...
You just proved everything I said in my previous post, thanks.

You guys want to share the road with us, then you follow the same rules as us. YES, you wait in traffic just like us. How about next time there is a traffic jam, I drive my car onto the sidewalk and "switch to pedestrian mode"?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTfromCharlotte View Post

You guys want to share the road with us, then you follow the same rules as us. YES, you wait in traffic just like us. How about next time there is a traffic jam, I drive my car onto the sidewalk and "switch to pedestrian mode"?
you sound jealous because they don't have to sit in traffic.

The last thing I want is a bicycle sitting in traffic with me....

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:

If you don't recognize the fundamental difference between an eighteen pound bicycle and a 2800 pound vehicle being on the sidewalk then it's obvious to anyone employing critical thought that you are being obtuse.

I don't know that my post or your post proves anything other than that there are law breakers using every mode of transportation... It is a matter for the police, minor traffic violations are hardly a reason to go vigilante!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 AM

277 posts, read 661,205 times
Quote:

Riding my regular route, doing multiple laps on Brandon Oaks Parkway. Minivan approaches from behind at a fairly high closure rate…limit is 25 mph, I’m doing a bit under that.

Minivan pulls right up behind me as I enter the circle near the pool area. While in the circle, minivan driver leans on the horn, begins to overtake me by driving onto the pedestrian area on the inside of the circle, and then dive bombs to the right nearly knocking me down in an attempt to exit the circle onto Rogers Rd.

Driver and passenger supported their superior driving skills with a barrage of colorful language and finger gestures as they went by.

Hell hath no fury like a soccer mom in a minivan being delayed from completing their appointed rounds by maybe 5 seconds….

Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
Riding my regular route, doing multiple laps on Brandon Oaks Parkway. Minivan approaches from behind at a fairly high closure rate…limit is 25 mph, I’m doing a bit under that.

Minivan pulls right up behind me as I enter the circle near the pool area. While in the circle, minivan driver leans on the horn, begins to overtake me by driving onto the pedestrian area on the inside of the circle, and then dive bombs to the right nearly knocking me down in an attempt to exit the circle onto Rogers Rd.

Driver and passenger supported their superior driving skills with a barrage of colorful language and finger gestures as they went by.

Hell hath no fury like a soccer mom in a minivan being delayed from completing their appointed rounds by maybe 5 seconds….
I'm scared driving home from work half the time due to bad drivers... I can't imagine trying to ride a bike on the road. These people are crazy.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM

183 posts, read 383,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you sound jealous because they don't have to sit in traffic.

The last thing I want is a bicycle sitting in traffic with me....
Me neither.. which is why they should stay off of roads with heavy traffic. Even on roads with heavy traffic, like Pineville Matthews, there are probably a hundred side streets they could ride down instead of directly down PM. Safer for them, safer for us. I'm not the least bit jealous, I'd rather sit in my car then get hit by one. Nice argument though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte