Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
Thanks for the compliment!

Totally agree that the bicyclist in your story got what they deserved. I will also agree that I've seen my share of bonehead cyclists in the CLT area.

My comments were directed at a poster describing events that occurred on a Sunday morning on a rural road in Union County, and can't be compared to the stupid cycling tactics practiced by urban cyclists in downtown CLT.
Why can't it be compared? They ride several side by side coming toward you so you have to sometimes stop because you are concerned they are over the center lane. You pass them once and then have to stop at a stop sign, but they illegally go past you and then are in your way again. You make it sound like Charlotte is the only place bikers do wrong things. They are riding bullies and make life difficult for all those around them that care about human life.

A slow driver can be passed once and then not be worried about again. Bikers are a different story.

I am wondering how many people in cars were killed last year in Charlotte. It might be interesting to make a comparison and see whether cars or bicycles are safer to use in traveling.

I have written the governor suggesting that bike riders using public roads need to pass a bikers test just as drivers have to and there should be rules of how many can ride in a pack and they should have to leave space between them so people in cars can get around them with less fear of running over someone. I see drivers as victims of these cyclist because we are put into situations that threaten our livelyhood when they do stupid things and then try to blame others. I think it is time for bikers to start getting tickets for unsafe biking moves.

Last edited by NCN; 09-21-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 PM

28 posts, read 31,586 times
I get very annoyed with cyclist around the airport roads on weekend mornings.... But I use extra caution and pass them with way more cushion than 3 feet. 3 feet must feel like inches to a cyclist going 15 and a car going 40! I have gotton used to them and just deal with it.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 AM

277 posts, read 660,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Why can't it be compared? They ride several side by side coming toward you so you have to sometimes stop because you are concerned they are over the center lane. You pass them once and then have to stop at a stop sign, but they illegally go past you and then are in your way again. You make it sound like Charlotte is the only place bikers do wrong things. They are riding bullies and make life difficult for all those around them that care about human life.

A slow driver can be passed once and then not be worried about again. Bikers are a different story.

I am wondering how many people in cars were killed last year in Charlotte. It might be interesting to make a comparison and see whether cars or bicycles are safer to use in traveling.

I have written the governor suggesting that bike riders using public roads need to pass a bikers test just as drivers have to and there should be rules of how many can ride in a pack and they should have to leave space between them so people in cars can get around them with less fear of running over someone. I see drivers as victims of these cyclist because we are put into situations that threaten our livelyhood when they do stupid things and then try to blame others. I think it is time for bikers to start getting tickets for unsafe biking moves.

Got to admit, your post gave me a chuckle.

I visualized Johnny Strabler and the The Black Rebels Motorcycle Club wearing full club kit..., leather jackets included, roaring along Potter Road 2 abreast at a death defying 20 mph on a peaceful Sunday morning, not on Indians or HD's, but on tricked out Cervelo's, Trek's, and Bianchi's.

If you are unable to distinguish the position of oncoming traffic in relation to the center line, and need to stop to evaluate the situation, then it sounds like your visual acuity and driving skills are in question.

For the sake of all, please consider seeing your optometrist for a checkup. If you can't deal with sharing the road with other vehicles, including recreational cyclists on a weekend morning, call a taxi to get to church.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:48 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
I try to be polite and share the road with bikes. Now if they start getting in front of me at traffic lights and passing on the right etc. I know then they dont deserve respect because THEY are breaking the traffic laws.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
i try to be polite and share the road with bikes. Now if they start getting in front of me at traffic lights and passing on the right etc. I know then they dont deserve respect because they are breaking the traffic laws.

amen!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Maybe it is high time to have a public campaign in
the proper bike riding rules.
are there any rules? and are they updated?
I am from a european country and believe me safety campaigns were
a steady thing , we even had to take safety bike riding courses.
I also see many bike riders ignore common rules , blowing thru red lights , riding up trhu traffic on four lane roads, etc.
but attribute much of this to there not being space allowed for bikes in the road picture.
How about we just make the practical driving test more difficult- eg more intersections,pedestrian crossings,on/off ramps etc etc and then maybe there wouldn't be as many poor car drivers on the roads. Many many car drivers don't obey the laws and treat driving as secondary to what else they're doing eg being on the phone, texting etc etc. If they collide with cars because they're not paying attention and didn't see them then what chance do cyclists have?

I do wish cyclists would wear safety helmets.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 AM

183 posts, read 383,676 times
Yesterday, walking across the intersection of S. Tryon and MLK around 12:30pm, a Jimmy John's delivery boy flew through the red light on his bike and came about a foot from hitting a pedestrian crossing the crosswalk. I see their delivery boys all the time, they are awful. I hope they don't ride bikes outside of their jobs.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTfromCharlotte View Post
Yesterday, walking across the intersection of S. Tryon and MLK around 12:30pm, a Jimmy John's delivery boy flew through the red light on his bike and came about a foot from hitting a pedestrian crossing the crosswalk. I see their delivery boys all the time, they are awful. I hope they don't ride bikes outside of their jobs.
He *almost* hit a pedestrian? Yikes. Yesterday I saw a car almost go the speed limit. Yesterday I saw about 25 cars almost come to a full stop at a stop sign. Yesterday I saw a car driver almost finish his texting at a stop light before he started driving again. Yesterday I saw a driver almost use their signal before turning. Yesterday I saw a driver almost pay attention to the road.

Yesterday, I saw a driver almost switch lanes to pass a cyclist but instead almost side-swiped him.

Yesterday was a bad day for "almosts".

Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Bicyclists are at least less annoying than these damn mopeds. Can't even pass them and they can only get up to about 25 miles an hour. You really shouldn't be riding a vehicle in a 45 MPH zone that will only do 25. Some punk a** kid rides on to school on Idlewild.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:27 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I try to be polite and share the road with bikes. Now if they start getting in front of me at traffic lights and passing on the right etc. I know then they dont deserve respect because THEY are breaking the traffic laws.
isn't this the law? What side should they pass you on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte