Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The Charlotte Metro is considered the home of Nascar. Mooresville, Concord, Wilkesboro, etc have always had a huge influence on this sport. Two of the biggest races of the year are held at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Speed TV (the Speed Channel) which is a huge outlet for Nascar is based in Charlotte and they often make this point.

The 1980s Tom Cruise movie Thunder Road (about Nascar) was set in Charlotte and filmed here as well. The early 1970s TV show, "Moving On" filmed several shows in Charlotte and at the Charlotte Motor Speedway with a plot, in part that involved Nascar.

It's hard to imagine that anyone would suggest that anyone would suggest the Charlotte metro wasn't known for Nascar and hasn't been that way for a long time.
Among the types of folks who are NASCAR fans, the town was certainly known. But NASCAR is a very regional sport with very few fans outside the South until recently. However, the civic leaders did not really play on that connection when trying to attract people to Charlotte. This is because NASCAR had and still has very redneck connotations. It enjoyed a peak in popularity in the early 2000s, but its ticket sales have really been hurting since.

"Days of Thunder," the Tom Cruise movie, depicted Charlotte as a backwater, not a big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
^That is an argument about the popularity of Nascar. I wasn't addressing this. I was addressing the notion that Charlotte wasn't known for having significant ties to the sport. I agree with you about the premise of Thunder Road as it didn't do Charlotte any favors, however it certainly tied Charlotte to the sport.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Please tell me what you think I have said and then I will let you know. You have a habit of misreading my posts then drawing the wrong conclusions.
Quote:
Thanks for the link.

I say that a picture is worth a 1000 words. I think this sorta puts the damper on the claim (opinion) that people are clueless about Charlotte.
Seems like you're saying your view (that Charlotte is well-known nationally) is fact while everyone else's is an opinion.

Again, as I mentioned earlier, your basis for this supposed "fact" is a map saying that a lot of people moved to Charlotte. Whoopedy do. According to that link, 427 people moved from Los Angeles County to Mecklenburg County. That has no bearing on whether or not the other 9.8 million people there know anything about Charlotte other than maybe it's home to the worst NBA team of all-time.

If you demand facts, here you go:
Study: Geography Greek to young Americans - CNN

Quote:

Inside the United States, "half or fewer of young men and women 18-24 can identify the states of New York or Ohio on a map [50 percent and 43 percent, respectively]," the study said.
Whole study: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ro...gLitsurvey.pdf

Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Seems like you're saying your view (that Charlotte is well-known nationally) is fact while everyone else's is an opinion.f
"Seems"? This is your mistake. I said nothing about where these people were from. I also did not say anything about the people who didn't move here. So what I've said is correct.

I will point out however, that nobody can say anything about whether the other 9.8 million people that you point out know something about Charlotte or not. I've given an example of 474 that do know something in just a 12 month period. None of you has done the same except to make "assumptions" about these other people. i.e. its your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
"Seems"? This is your mistake. I said nothing about where these people were from. I also did not say anything about the people who didn't move here. So what I've said is correct.

I will point out however, that nobody can say anything about whether the other 9.8 million people that you point out know something about Charlotte or not. I've given an example of 474 that do know something in just a 12 month period. None of you has done the same except to make "assumptions" about these other people. i.e. its your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

I hope this clears it up for you.
Then please clarify what you were saying. Is your view not that Charlotte is well-known nationally? Do you feel this is a fact?

You kept referring to the fact that 25,000 people moved to Mecklenburg County in the past 12 months. This topic is about how much the country as a whole knows about Charlotte. 25,000 people moving here doesn't prove that the other 313,000,000 that did not move here know anything about Charlotte.

I just linked to a study that states that less than 50% of young people could even point to the state of New York on a map. Do you really think more than 50% of the people in the U.S. could point to Charlotte?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM

126 posts, read 296,027 times
You can't necessarily say Charlotte isn't nationally known unless you can speak for every American.

When Wells Fargo bought Wachovia, and Wells Fargo moved offices to Charlotte, Charlotte became more known in California.

There's Bank of America towers all over the US, and some way, some how, Charlotte is going to be mentioned because Charlotte is where they're based.

Speedway Motorsports (based in Concord) owns the Speedway's in Atlanta, Bristol, CHARLOTTE, Kentucky, Las Vegas, New Hampshire, North Wilkesboro NC, California and Texas. This is going to give Charlotte a name in those places, even if it's the slightest bit.

I could go on and on about Charlotte based companies with locations throughout the United States that give Charlotte credit, therefore knowing "about" Charlotte.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM

frewroad, so is it safe to conclude that it is your opinion that 25,000 people moving here means that a much greater number of people are familiar with Charlotte?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
You can't necessarily say Charlotte isn't nationally known unless you can speak for every American.
Well said.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
frewroad, so is it safe to conclude that it is your opinion that 25,000 people moving here means that a much greater number of people are familiar with Charlotte?
I have never said this. One more time, and this is the last I will say about it since you are repeating yourself over and over, I've said here is 25,000 that do know about Charlotte and they came from all over the USA. This was in response to a claim that people are clueless about CLT. I think it is also safe to conclude that a few close friends and family of these individuals also know where CLT is located. This isn't subject to opinion.

I've said nothing else about it. If you think I did, and this is why I asked, then I also think one can easily determine that you are wrong, yet again in whatever it is you thought was going on.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I have never said this. One more time, and this is the last I will say about it since you are repeating yourself over and over, I've said here is 25,000 that do know about Charlotte and they came from all over the USA. This was in response to a claim that people are clueless about CLT. I think it is also safe to conclude that a few close friends and family of these individuals also know where CLT is located. This isn't subject to opinion.

I've said nothing else about it. If you think I did, and this is why I asked, then I also think one can easily determine that you are wrong, yet again in whatever it is you thought was going on.
No, not everyone in the country is clueless about Charlotte. But a lot of people are.

I'm only repeating myself because I asked you a question which you refuse to answer. Let me make this simple for you.

1. Do you feel that Charlotte is well known nationally?
2. If yes, do you feel that this is a fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte