U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:17 PM

34,839 posts, read 32,260,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Every employee of every store at Lenox will complain about the quality of the shoppers there.

If you try to compliment how nice the mall is, they'll say, "But...."

It is unlike any other mall in any major US city I've ever seen.
I sure hope you get to move out of Atlanta really soon; you just don't seem like a happy camper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:20 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,749,442 times
Charlotte AND Atlanta DID have downtown shopping districts even until the early 1990's. In Charlotte of Tryon (spelling please Charlotte friends) Street they had huge Belk and Ivey's department stores and surely others as well. In Atlanta, we had Rich's and Kessler's department stores just south of Five Points with surrounding boutiques, further up Peachtree Street in the Peachtree Center area we had Davison's (Macy's) department store with upscale J. P. Allen and Regenstien's specialty stores. The upscale Muse's Clothing Company along with Brooks Brothers anchored the section of Peachtree Street along Woodruff (Central City) Park between our two former nodes of "downtown retail". Atlanta and Charlotte are "real" cities as well with intriguing histories and vibrant business communites. Maybe downtown retail can revive in both cities (downtown retail is NOT what it used to be in Philladelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C., or Los Angeles either, although there does seem to be a revival in these places, too.) and NO ONE is calling them "fake" cities.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:47 PM

3,453 posts, read 3,352,074 times
Btw Atlanta has Buckhead Atlanta which is a upcoming highend district with stores like Jummy Choo Tom Ford Canali Hermes Dior Akris Etro Christian Loubotin etc

Dallas has Highland Village
Which has stores like McQueen Balenciaga YSL Chanel Zanotti Harry Winston etc

Look them up

Old 03-17-2018, 03:51 PM

1,027 posts, read 801,301 times
Yeah, in 2018, seeing the new luxury store fronts on Phipps, then driving a few miles down in south buckhead and seeing Tom Ford with a few more high end Botiques in the district Staysean references puts a lid on this (I think), the cases that have been made here that charlotte’s shopping aesthetics are somehow superior is beyond me.

Granted, I haven’t been to SouthPark in years, but it just felt like a mall and area you could find in any decent sized metro, the Lenox/Phipps area at least *feels* like it is catering to an actual upscale crowd.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:06 AM

4,216 posts, read 5,278,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Yeah, in 2018, seeing the new luxury store fronts on Phipps, then driving a few miles down in south buckhead and seeing Tom Ford with a few more high end Botiques in the district Staysean references puts a lid on this (I think), the cases that have been made here that charlotte’s shopping aesthetics are somehow superior is beyond me.

Granted, I haven’t been to SouthPark in years, but it just felt like a mall and area you could find in any decent sized metro, the Lenox/Phipps area at least *feels* like it is catering to an actual upscale crowd.
I am disappointed the Belk flagship dept. store at Phipps Plaza is closing to make way for a hotel. It was a very nice store, formerly Parisian. It has not been determined if Belk will replace a flagship store in the Atlanta region. But there is a nice big Macy's down the street at the Lenox Plaza which was a former Rich's flagship store, and one of the largest full line Macy's in the Southeast. And higher end stores such as Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus at Lenox, and Nordstrom at Phipps.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 801,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I am disappointed the Belk flagship dept. store at Phipps Plaza is closing to make way for a hotel. It was a very nice store, formerly Parisian. It has not been determined if Belk will replace a flagship store in the Atlanta region. But there is a nice big Macy's down the street at the Lenox Plaza which was a former Rich's flagship store, and one of the largest full line Macy's in the Southeast. And higher end stores such as Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus at Lenox, and Nordstrom at Phipps.
I’m aware. Just pointing out the walkable upscale district a few miles down the road. It’s a big deal and wasn’t completed when this thread was active.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 AM

4,216 posts, read 5,278,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I’m aware. Just pointing out the walkable upscale district a few miles down the road. It’s a big deal and wasn’t completed when this thread was active.
Yes I have heard the Phipps Plaza and Buckhead area is receiving more upscale additions. Just sorry to see the big Belk store close down. But despite the flagship status, apparently the Belk at Phipps Plaza didn't perform as well as the previous Parisian store did. Or perhaps the mall owners made an offer they could not refuse.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:46 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,749,442 times
It WAS "an offer they couldn't refuse" reportedly 20 million dollars for their Phipps Plaza location!

Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 PM

149 posts, read 123,521 times
Atlanta and Dallas are much wealthier cities than Charlotte. For example, You see a lot more Ferraris and Rolls Royces in those cities than in Charlotte. Therefore, it makes sense that there are fancier stores. That’s irrelevant to me though. I’ve never shopped in Cartier or Harry Winston’s, and I never intend to.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:17 PM

11,942 posts, read 9,940,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldbloom View Post
Atlanta and Dallas are much wealthier cities than Charlotte. For example, You see a lot more Ferraris and Rolls Royces in those cities than in Charlotte. Therefore, it makes sense that there are fancier stores. That’s irrelevant to me though. I’ve never shopped in Cartier or Harry Winston’s, and I never intend to.
Both cities don't match Miami when come to Ferrari and Lamborghini
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte