U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,409,187 times
Reputation: 552

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I guess if you are going to a concert or staying over with friends, then you could spend some time at SouthPark. Otherwise, I certainly have never known any of my friends or relatives to come to Charlotte specifically to shop at SouthPark. Doesn't mean it never happens! Just not something I have known people to do.

Likewise, I don't just go to ATL to shop - I combine it with other events or places I want to visit/attend.
Makes sense. But to be honest, I do do know a few folks from Charlotte who drive to Atlanta to shop. One drives down once a month to go to the Dekalb Farmer's Market. Another for Asian stores/shops.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM
 
Location: NC
341 posts, read 689,297 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Anyone not getting their fix at SP Mall b/c of the recent deluge of water can simply travel to Winston. Hanes Mall is one of the most visited in the USA, getting about 20 million visitors a year. Not that I am that fond of Hanes Mall . . . the location is convenient but there is a lot of decay around it. I only go there if there is something specific (a shop) I want to check out.

America

According to the above article, neither Phipps nor Lenox (or for that matter, SouthPark) is on the top 25 list, so I found it quite interesting that Hanes Mall was on that list.

However, Mall of Georgia WAS on the list, (15 M visitors annually) so seems to me that Georgia residents are not necessarily leaving their state to do their shopping.

The only retail I head to ATL/Buckhead to find is Bloomie's, and I do try to go at least once a year, as they have fantastic mark downs on home decor, etc. Their sales are a great time to stock up on Christmas gifts.

Otherwise, there really isn't anything in Atlanta that I can't find here in Charlotte these days. The one store I wish we had here would be Saks, and of course, I would really like to have a Bloomingdale's, but that isn't going to happen.
That is very grad to believe, but I guess it is true? What is so weird is that people must not be spending as much money because the sales per sqaure foot finally got over 300, the national average. It was actually 292 in 2010, I believe. SouthParks is over 700, and is a slightly larger mall.

Honestly, I've always preferred Nordstrom to Bloomingdales and Neiman's to Saks, but that's just me. I've found customer service to be better than those stores too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Seriously, who would drive from Atlanta to South Park to go shopping. Some nut?
Obviously some people do it. I have seen GA tags Everytime including from most metro Atlanta counties. I even heard 2 people telling the salesperson at Belk that they were from Atlanta and they actually said they thought Atlanta's malls weren't all that great and they were tired of them. Personally, I agree. Lenox is my favorite one, but the parking is so much better at SP, SP looks better and has a better atmosphere than Lenox, has many more people buying things as opposed to hanging out like more people do at Lenox. All of that is much better than having a few extra stores I don't care about.

I am Going to respect anyone's opinion. If you don't like SouthPark, then I will respect anyone's opinion, as long as you don't bash SouthPark. It is just ridiculous that someone would star bashing a mall because someone states a fact that you don't like so you have to bash it, talk about childish.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 4,236,536 times
Reputation: 1272
Goodness, I can't imagine why anyone would make that hellish drive just to go to a farmers market or an Asian store when there are plenty of those in this area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,409,187 times
Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
That is very grad to believe, but I guess it is true? What is so weird is that people must not be spending as much money because the sales per sqaure foot finally got over 300, the national average. It was actually 292 in 2010, I believe. SouthParks is over 700, and is a slightly larger mall.

Honestly, I've always preferred Nordstrom to Bloomingdales and Neiman's to Saks, but that's just me. I've found customer service to be better than those stores too.


Obviously some people do it. I have seen GA tags Everytime including from most metro Atlanta counties. I even heard 2 people telling the salesperson at Belk that they were from Atlanta and they actually said they thought Atlanta's malls weren't all that great and they were tired of them. Personally, I agree. Lenox is my favorite one, but the parking is so much better at SP, SP looks better and has a better atmosphere than Lenox, has many more people buying things as opposed to hanging out like more people do at Lenox. All of that is much better than having a few extra stores I don't care about.

I am Going to respect anyone's opinion. If you don't like SouthPark, then I will respect anyone's opinion, as long as you don't bash SouthPark. It is just ridiculous that someone would star bashing a mall because someone states a fact that you don't like so you have to bash it, talk about childish.
Personally, I think South Park is nicer than Lenox. But Lenox (due mostly to Macy's) has better shopping/deals.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 AM
 
Location: NC
341 posts, read 689,297 times
Reputation: 81
Ha. That's not as bad as how I have hear some people from places like Wyoming and Montana drive 8 HOURS to go to Trader Joe's, lol. At least they do other shopping, etc there too!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,409,187 times
Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Goodness, I can't imagine why anyone would make that hellish drive just to go to a farmers market or an Asian store when there are plenty of those in this area.
Not hellish drive. Struaght shot down I-85.

Because large parts of Duluth, Johns Creek, Norcross, Suwanee are Asian towns.

Because the Dekalb Farmer's Market is giagntic. Has foods from all over the world.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: NC
341 posts, read 689,297 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Personally, I think South Park is nicer than Lenox. But Lenox (due mostly to Macy's) has better shopping/deals.
I completely agree. I would never lie to myself that Lenox doesn't have better shopping because it does. I would just rather go to Charlotte from Asheville (around a 2 hour drive) rather than a 3.5 hour drive to Lenox, which is not worth it at all just to go shopping because I am not going to shop at any of the extra stores they have.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 60,759,176 times
Reputation: 15002
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Anyone not getting their fix at SP Mall b/c of the recent deluge of water can simply travel to Winston. Hanes Mall is one of the most visited in the USA, getting about 20 million visitors a year. Not that I am that fond of Hanes Mall . . . the location is convenient but there is a lot of decay around it. I only go there if there is something specific (a shop) I want to check out.

America

According to the above article, neither Phipps nor Lenox (or for that matter, SouthPark) is on the top 25 list, so I found it quite interesting that Hanes Mall was on that list.

However, Mall of Georgia WAS on the list, (15 M visitors annually) so seems to me that Georgia residents are not necessarily leaving their state to do their shopping.

The only retail I head to ATL/Buckhead to find is Bloomie's, and I do try to go at least once a year, as they have fantastic mark downs on home decor, etc. Their sales are a great time to stock up on Christmas gifts.

Otherwise, there really isn't anything in Atlanta that I can't find here in Charlotte these days. The one store I wish we had here would be Saks, and of course, I would really like to have a Bloomingdale's, but that isn't going to happen.
I really cant comment on Atlanta malls as when I go that city malls is last thing I want to do.

Your comment on Hanes Mall I take issue with as I dont know what decay you state surrounds the mall.
On the left side of mall across the street on Hanes Mall Blvd is doctor offices, hotels, and Village Tavern and they dont choose locations in non thriving areas. On right side of mall is Forsyth Medical Hospital.
I was thinking maybe you was referring to buisness on Strafford at the top of the mall. There some older building structures but they are in buisness, there is car lots and a Putt-Putt.
The rest of Hanes Mall Blvd.

Hanes Mall is technically a bigger mall than South Park and only reason South Park took ranks as biggest mall as the department stores have more square footage.

One thing I like about the mall it has carpet, even though I think it needs to be cleaned but it comfortable trekking around the mall.

I miss the numerous cascading tall water fountains but they replace with a carrousel only mall in this state that has one.

They also have a H&M store and Charlotte doesnt have one.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 10:23 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 2,409,187 times
Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
I completely agree. I would never lie to myself that Lenox doesn't have better shopping because it does. I would just rather go to Charlotte from Asheville (around a 2 hour drive) rather than a 3.5 hour drive to Lenox, which is not worth it at all just to go shopping because I am not going to shop at any of the extra stores they have.
For some, the Mall "experience" is not just shopping. For me, I like shopping/deals. When I lived in Charlotte, I found some stuff in SP, but in all honesty, the Macy's in Lenox has everything.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM
 
Location: NC
341 posts, read 689,297 times
Reputation: 81
I do think they have over expanded Hanes a bit since it sales per square foot is so low.

Another thing, who came up with the name? I hate the name so much, lol.

I hate carpet in malls. I just think it looks cheap and ugly, I guess I actually think tile is easier to walk on.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top