Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times

Advertisements

One thing to remember CLT is one of the cheapest hubs with cost per passenger.

As long as it stays that way, they will continue to make extensive use of the hub.

I was hoping to post the comparisons, but I nly found the landing fees, I was looking for the actual cost per passenger.

Philly's rates went up significantly, which is one of the reasons it kind of lost some flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
High costs in Pennsylvania is the very reason the brand new and IMO very nice USA hub in Pittsburg was shuttered in favor of Charlotte. Costs in CLT were significantly lower.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
From Piedmont to parallel runways: How Charlotte's airport got so big | WCNC.com Charlotte

From WCNC

Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
There are many of us, who remember the Piedmont Airline days, who won't miss the US Air name. It never did sit quite right with me. What USA did to the level of service that once existed on the excellent Piedmont was tragic.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,262 times
Thanks for sharing. Really well done.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not totally sure it would get substantially smaller (ATL is like 60+ percent non O&D), it can serve two purposes (MIA and CLT can co exist as hubs as can PHL/JFK as they both serve different purposes and neither (MIA/JFK) afford hub expansion for regional connections vs O&D)

In addition, PHL is already way too busy; I don't see USAir being able to add too many more flights in and out of there. Same with JFK, that airport is always rediculously clogged. If anything, CLT can grow by serving as a hub for additional flights that the other east coast hubs like JFK and PHL simply cannot really accommodate.

I tend to think Miami would be the one to get diminished. It is seen as sort of the "gateway" to Latin America and South America, but I think both CLT and DFW could handle the bulk of that traffic.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There will have to be cuts somewhere or otherwise the merger makes no sense. There is no advantage to combining if they can't cut the overall cost.
True. But a number of cuts will come on routes that would be otherwise redundant.

In terms of cuts in facilitiesfacilities, while I see a potential for a downsizing at MIA, I think PHX is the most likely to go - situated between LAX and DFW, I don't see where it serves much of a special purpose; any routes out of PHX could easily be served by LAX or DFW.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM

529 posts, read 1,203,654 times
CLT: Less air traffic congestion compared to NYC/northeast; fewer major disruptions due to hurricanes/winter storms. (Although summer thunderstorms are more frequent.)

As someone else mentioned, it is unlikely that all that airport expansion would have proceeded if there were any doubt of CLT's hub status. Makes one wonder if there were any 'under-the-table' agreements with Doug Parker!

Jerry Orr is going to come out of this either a visionary or a fool. If the former, we may call the airport Douglas-Orr.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
In addition, PHL is already way too busy; I don't see USAir being able to add too many more flights in and out of there. Same with JFK, that airport is always rediculously clogged. If anything, CLT can grow by serving as a hub for additional flights that the other east coast hubs like JFK and PHL simply cannot really accommodate.

I tend to think Miami would be the one to get diminished. It is seen as sort of the "gateway" to Latin America and South America, but I think both CLT and DFW could handle the bulk of that traffic.
But MIA is a huge O&D destination, esp to Latin America, moreso than DFW and vastly larger than CLT

PHL does not have the ability to grow when compared to CLT (though can moreso than JFK), agree but is also expanding concourses and adding two runways

I think PHL will see fewer flights though, larger equipment, and potentially more Int'l connections (similar passenger volume).

I could see more regionals moved to CLT, net more flights but similar to slight increase in passenger volume

Similar to CLT US also signed an extension in conjunction with the expansions at PHL

Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
High costs in Pennsylvania is the very reason the brand new and IMO very nice USA hub in Pittsburg was shuttered in favor of Charlotte. Costs in CLT were significantly lower.
yep.. that really killed a lot of jobs in Pittsburgh. Thanks CLT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte