U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
162 posts, read 179,763 times
Reputation: 97

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
1) I don't buy the city on an island theory.

2) I agree

3) social groups sound like the perfect breeding ground for some single white female, be my friend or else type weirdos...
Don't take this as confromatational but....

1. You don't know the geography. Please that live in huntersville claim it to theirselves, and then try to bring their social influence into Charlotte. People from SC ... they can't consider themselves from charlotte. They don't pay the same taxes, they don't involve themselves with Charlotte being the base of things that occure. In the areas from the outside, thats where they commute in and out for the job. They aren't your neighbor, they won't be willing to help you in a pinch. They live outside of Charlotte taxes, but demand frequent bus services. They're like NASCAR races, they'll bring in money for your business but leave you picking up after the mess they've made. [Wikipedia] The official Charlotte metropolitan area includes the Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill MSA (Anson, Cabarrus, Gaston, Mecklenburg, Union and York counties), along with the following micropolitan areas: Albemarle, Chester, Lancaster, Lincolnton, Salisbury, Shelby, and Statesville-Mooresville.

Charlotte cannot sustain a city into all of the areas that it claims for it's population. Between the counties there are a huge population shift. If the people who live in Charlotte proper [edges+within 485] acted like a city of .9mil, that'd be sensible. They aren't the city of 2.3mil people that the marketing advertises.

2. I couldn't agree more. It agrivates me that you get lip for trying to make conversation with someone at a bar with someone in your own age group. [I'm not trying to hit on girl x or y in the group, but you'll get the girl z who doesn't like that]

3. Thats the marketing an appeal. But the meetup groups bring the 1s and 2s I mentioned in the previous thread. Its treated as an amusement or opportunity to move up the social latter rather than hey you seem cool lets hang out. The 1-type people that I meaned and girls, those are the type that are afraid of "stranger danger" in the group. Its charlotte, its a small city, but their paranoid of others. I didn't get this attidue in Chicago. [Which is a big WTF, given the recent "murderfest" ] There aren't many true "weirdos" in this world, there are a lot of socially awkward people. You can't claim that you're very social if you can't handle/work with those types. There are people who will [Charlotte has an abnormally disproportionate people who] be passive agressive about culling off members of the group they don't like. [Thats one of the things that kills the interest groups, from my experience these people tend to come from sorrounding counties] With thsoe big social groups, as a guy, you'll get phone numbers, but you'll get a lot of flakes and a lot of people who will put you on the same level as "that person who they met a bar." Despite that you've been arround them for many group meets or met them at a completely sober even and they had a good time. If you're able to meet people and tollerate them for longer than 20 minutes in Charlotte, you're magic in other cities. Last on my rant for this post.... a proper city shouldn't be able to socially make it difficult for a person to live there unless they invoke some huge social/ethical/moral wrong.
New York City, can the moral fundies kick out Anthony Weiner? Nope, he can still live there with a social support circle, Charlotte, he'd get the boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
Don't take this as confromatational but....

1. You don't know the geography. Please that live in huntersville claim it to theirselves, and then try to bring their social influence into Charlotte. People from SC ... they can't consider themselves from charlotte. They don't pay the same taxes, they don't involve themselves with Charlotte being the base of things that occure. In the areas from the outside, thats where they commute in and out for the job. They aren't your neighbor, they won't be willing to help you in a pinch. They live outside of Charlotte taxes, but demand frequent bus services. They're like NASCAR races, they'll bring in money for your business but leave you picking up after the mess they've made. [Wikipedia] The official Charlotte metropolitan area includes the Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill MSA (Anson, Cabarrus, Gaston, Mecklenburg, Union and York counties), along with the following micropolitan areas: Albemarle, Chester, Lancaster, Lincolnton, Salisbury, Shelby, and Statesville-Mooresville.

Charlotte cannot sustain a city into all of the areas that it claims for it's population. Between the counties there are a huge population shift. If the people who live in Charlotte proper [edges+within 485] acted like a city of .9mil, that'd be sensible. They aren't the city of 2.3mil people that the marketing advertises.

2. I couldn't agree more. It agrivates me that you get lip for trying to make conversation with someone at a bar with someone in your own age group. [I'm not trying to hit on girl x or y in the group, but you'll get the girl z who doesn't like that]

3. Thats the marketing an appeal. But the meetup groups bring the 1s and 2s I mentioned in the previous thread. Its treated as an amusement or opportunity to move up the social latter rather than hey you seem cool lets hang out. The 1-type people that I meaned and girls, those are the type that are afraid of "stranger danger" in the group. Its charlotte, its a small city, but their paranoid of others. I didn't get this attidue in Chicago. [Which is a big WTF, given the recent "murderfest" ] There aren't many true "weirdos" in this world, there are a lot of socially awkward people. You can't claim that you're very social if you can't handle/work with those types. There are people who will [Charlotte has an abnormally disproportionate people who] be passive agressive about culling off members of the group they don't like. [Thats one of the things that kills the interest groups, from my experience these people tend to come from sorrounding counties] With thsoe big social groups, as a guy, you'll get phone numbers, but you'll get a lot of flakes and a lot of people who will put you on the same level as "that person who they met a bar." Despite that you've been arround them for many group meets or met them at a completely sober even and they had a good time. If you're able to meet people and tollerate them for longer than 20 minutes in Charlotte, you're magic in other cities. Last on my rant for this post.... a proper city shouldn't be able to socially make it difficult for a person to live there unless they invoke some huge social/ethical/moral wrong.
New York City, can the moral fundies kick out Anthony Weiner? Nope, he can still live there with a social support circle, Charlotte, he'd get the boot.
bringing social influences to Charlotte... people want huntersville to themselves... SC and taxes?

When I hang out with people and they tell me they are from Huntersville or Concord I don't think about bus services or taxes. I'm not trying to preserve Charlotte's culture within the 485 loop when I go out to meet people.

IMO you are carrying a lot of baggage with you when it comes to meeting people. Treat the individual as a person instead of a mascot for their zip code and might have better luck. Becky from Concord may be a total %$#@$ but that doesn't mean Samantha from Concord is the exact same way.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
162 posts, read 179,763 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
bringing social influences to Charlotte... people want huntersville to themselves... SC and taxes?

When I hang out with people and they tell me they are from Huntersville or Concord I don't think about bus services or taxes. I'm not trying to preserve Charlotte's culture within the 485 loop when I go out to meet people.

IMO you are carrying a lot of baggage with you when it comes to meeting people. Treat the individual as a person instead of a mascot for their zip code and might have better luck. Becky from Concord may be a total %$#@$ but that doesn't mean Samantha from Concord is the exact same way.

Good Luck
I don't think you read/understood what I said about neighboring areas/counties of Charlotte. There are a lot of people who say their from charlotte then gtfo after work. [Also expect the services of the city] Then when they find that theres nothing to do there then try to bring their social drama here. I don't have any issues with Becky from Concord. I haven't actually met people from Concord, or at least no one brings it up that they're from Concord. Although Sally and Jane from Huntersville... [from my experience] well they're going to fight over who has the most social sway in a city they don't belong. [belong: people you live next to/locally] SC, I know of a lot of people who come up for the night life in charlotte... what are you going to do with them if you meet them? Hang out with them the next day? Nope... they live quite a ways away, plus people tend to be weary of people who are 40 miles away.

Socially, I'm the type of person thats inclusive. Unless the person is toxic, I want to hang out with them. I don't care about a pissing match over who is better at getting people to do stuff, or who supports more charity. I'm not sure how complaining on a forum on the internet is considered to be trying to exclude everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
I don't think you read/understood what I said about neighboring areas/counties of Charlotte. There are a lot of people who say their from charlotte then gtfo after work. [Also expect the services of the city] Then when they find that theres nothing to do there then try to bring their social drama here. I don't have any issues with Becky from Concord. I haven't actually met people from Concord, or at least no one brings it up that they're from Concord. Although Sally and Jane from Huntersville... [from my experience] well they're going to fight over who has the most social sway in a city they don't belong. [belong: people you live next to/locally] SC, I know of a lot of people who come up for the night life in charlotte... what are you going to do with them if you meet them? Hang out with them the next day? Nope... they live quite a ways away, plus people tend to be weary of people who are 40 miles away.

Socially, I'm the type of person thats inclusive. Unless the person is toxic, I want to hang out with them. I don't care about a pissing match over who is better at getting people to do stuff, or who supports more charity. I'm not sure how complaining on a forum on the internet is considered to be trying to exclude everyone.
Throw up the dueces to Sally and Jane, tell the hot chick or cool guy from SC to hit you up the next time they are in Charlotte and keep it moving.

Who cares what Sally and Jane from Huntersville said or did the last time you hung out with them. These people may end up moving to Charlotte in a year or 2 and they will still be obnoxious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 AM
 
3,454 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Throw up the dueces to Sally and Jane, tell the hot chick or cool guy from SC to hit you up the next time they are in Charlotte and keep it moving.

Who cares what Sally and Jane from Huntersville said or did the last time you hung out with them. These people may end up moving to Charlotte in a year or 2 and they will still be obnoxious...
I don' think people have come to terms with "who they are". If you weren't that popular in high school or college with limited social skills, getting a decent paying job and coming out of the"closest" as a social networking guru is a huge transition from the collegiate world. Sometimes it's easier to mask or cloak social skill deficiencies in a larger environment or "cosmopolitan" setting but sooner or later, it boils down to the quality of one-on-one interaction or individual face time.

Thus, immersing yourself in activities of interest will help with securing long lasting or more geniune relationships. Solely blaming a city or location for individual shortcomings is riddled with excuses and a lack of confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2012, 05:50 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,705,030 times
Reputation: 3371
Don't mean to be one of the "don't come here" people, but I was under the impression that Indianapolis was one of the best cities with a low cost of living that also has a relatively low unemployment rate. Although Charlotte's high unemployment is similar to other places, last I checked it was much higher than Indianapolis.

Nonetheless, I'm not sure what makes a city "single parent friendly." I always hear people complaining that one parent working is often barely enough to cover child care costs for one child, let alone multiple which it sounds like you have (although not sure how old they are). Do you have a support system in Indianapolis? If you do, that alone would probably be reason to stay there (or go somewhere where you do have a support system).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top