U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 01:15 PM

985 posts, read 1,653,431 times

Advertisements

The commute to Ft Mill from Marvin on backroads isn't long at all (of course depending on how deep into Marvin you go) my husband cuts through Ft Mill area and back into NC to and from work from here because ti saves a bunch of time. The commute is fairly easy and not too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 PM

186 posts, read 372,660 times
Weddington Chase was a John Wieland neighborhood, if you like the look perhaps you would like Bridgemill or Bridgehampton, same builder, a smidge closer to Ft. Mill.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,586,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
Weddington Chase was a John Wieland neighborhood, if you like the look perhaps you would like Bridgemill or Bridgehampton, same builder, a smidge closer to Ft. Mill.
Good point, I think the John Wieland neighborhoods are amazing and some of the best designed neighbourhoods available in Charlotte area. Besides the pool, tennis, basketball & volleyball courts there is the gym & pool/party house plus amazing walking trails in wooded area, streams, ponds, bridges, etc.
People are extremely nice, in summer time these neighborhoods have kids swim league competition (4 to 18 years old) with similar neighborhoods. In those 2 months kids have lots of fun and new comers (kids & parents) will make friends fast. The leagues are very well organized and they are all run by parents and culminate with an AllStar competition in uptown Charlotte - Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center. Lots of fun!

Furthermore most Marvin neighborhoods are within 10 minutes drive to Blackney (one of top shopping centres with live music in the afternoon, entire plaza is designed like a great walking "village") and another 5 minutes to Stonecrest shopping plaza. Different classifications (don't have to agree with them if one prefers an urban location) already placed Marvin #1 area to live in NC and is also the area with highest income.

Add to it that Marvin cluster schools are among top schools in all Charlotte area - we have never seen one person complaining once about schools or neighbourhoods. Most important, although one of newest high schools (still needs another year or two to be considered in national rankings), Marvin Ridge High offers IB and already is the HS with the best statistics in entire Charlotte area.

While we also looked at Fort Mill and Tega Cay, in my opinion, when compared to Marvin, they are a different flavour ice cream all together...

Last edited by 28173; 07-29-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 04:29 PM

37 posts, read 71,886 times
Does Marvin have enough kids activities? Soccer, little league etc? Young kids.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:42 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,671,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Good point, I think the John Wieland neighborhoods are amazing and some of the best designed neighbourhoods available in Charlotte area. Besides the pool, tennis, basketball & volleyball courts there is the gym & pool/party house plus amazing walking trails in wooded area, streams, ponds, bridges, etc.
People are extremely nice, in summer time these neighborhoods have kids swim league competition (4 to 18 years old) with similar neighborhoods. In those 2 months kids have lots of fun and new comers (kids & parents) will make friends fast. The leagues are very well organized and they are all run by parents and culminate with an AllStar competition in uptown Charlotte - Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center. Lots of fun!

Furthermore most Marvin neighborhoods are within 10 minutes drive to Blackney (one of top shopping centres with live music in the afternoon, entire plaza is designed like a great walking "village") and another 5 minutes to Stonecrest shopping plaza. Different classifications (don't have to agree with them if one prefers an urban location) already placed Marvin #1 area to live in NC and is also the area with highest income.

Add to it that Marvin cluster schools are among top schools in all Charlotte area - we have never seen one person complaining once about schools or neighbourhoods. Most important, although one of newest high schools (still needs another year or two to be considered in national rankings), Marvin Ridge High offers IB and already is the HS with the best statistics in entire Charlotte area.

While we also looked at Fort Mill and Tega Cay, in my opinion, when compared to Marvin, they are a different flavour ice cream all together...
we live in a JWH neighborhood and I have to agree with you on your comments about the family friendly neighborhoods. I agree that Marvin schools are very good. I put a lot of merit in the average SAT scores and I will mention that Providence HS, North Meck, Myers Park, Ardrey Kell all have higher average SAT scores than Marvin HS.
Bridgehamptonn(NC side) is zoned for Ardrey Kell and the commute to Ft. Mill is a little closer than Weddington Chase.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:14 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,956,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
already placed Marvin #1 area to live in NC and is also the area with highest income..
I would say that 99.98% of NC would disagree.

The areas with the highest income and associated demographics, in this area would be in Eastover, Myers Park, parts of SE Charlotte inside I-485, and any waterfront community on Lake Norman. (this is where people have helicopters on their property to commute to work) You won't find tract home developments in these areas. I do agree with the previous poster about the other schools in this area.

My recommendation to the OP is to rent for a while and get a feel for the area. I'd say that while Charlotte looks similar to ATL, there are some significant differences. The most desirable neighborhoods in this area are on the lakes (there are 3), and close in to downtown Charlotte, and Davidson. In this economic environment, I'd also consider caution when considering purchasing a new home in a remote suburban location. I would also say that if you are willing to make the commute to rural Union County to Ft. Mill, and in your price range, you may wish to have your agent to show you the option of living in Dilworth or similar area within Charlotte. The reverse commute would be easier.

Last edited by frewroad; 07-30-2012 at 02:42 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM

985 posts, read 1,653,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curacao08 View Post
Does Marvin have enough kids activities? Soccer, little league etc? Young kids.
more than enough places to play all kinds of sports at young ages in the Marvin area. Yes, soccer, little league, lacrosse, swimming, etc (some sports offer indoor and outdoor). No shortage of activities for families here at all.

adding: not all parts of Marvin are rural, and like I said a commute straight up New Town road from say Weddington Chase to Ft Mill is not far at all, depending where about in Ft Mill the job is.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:44 PM

186 posts, read 372,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

The areas with the highest income and associated demographics, in this area would be in Eastover, Myers Park, parts of SE Charlotte inside I-485, and any waterfront community on Lake Norman. (this is where people have helicopters on their property to commute to work) You won't find tract home developments in these areas. I do agree with the previous poster about the other schools in this area.

My recommendation to the OP is to rent for a while and get a feel for the area. I'd say that while Charlotte looks similar to ATL, there are some significant differences. The most desirable neighborhoods in this area are on the lakes (there are 3), and close in to downtown Charlotte, and Davidson. In this economic environment, I'd also consider caution when considering purchasing a new home in a remote suburban location. I would also say that if you are willing to make the commute to rural Union County to Ft. Mill, and in your price range, you may wish to have your agent to show you the option of living in Dilworth or similar area within Charlotte. The reverse commute would be easier.
I think the statistic being quoted had to do with Marvin's median income, which is significantly higher than the surrounding communities in the area. Many people who live in the desirable areas of the city do not have high incomes due to being very long time owners having bought their property many years ago, expensive McMansions plunked down among the bungalows of Dilworth by high earners are an advent of the past 5 years and hardly represent the whole city. Union has a lot of new expensive homes that would require a high income to afford. I'm not an expert on Union, but I could see why the schools, property taxes, and overall suburban environment would be more desirable to many people. And by the way, plenty of big production builders have constructed homes on Lake Norman, Mt Island Lake and Lake Wylie - Ryan, David Weekley, Standard Pacific, Orleans to name a few... they put them up right between the 19502 ranches, the double wides, and the custom mansions. You don't have to be rich to get waterfront property, you just have to prioritize.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
This is your opinion, how can you speak for 99.98%???

I have some empirical data to prove the opposite:

Quote:
This article, the eleventh in a 50-state series, ranks the best places to live in North Carolina based on three criteria: (1) median household income (adjusted for cost of living); (2) educational attainment (% of residents 25 years and over who have earned a bachelor's degree or higher); and (3) property crime rates per 1,000 residents (burglary and automobile thefts). For purposes of these rankings, "places" are incorporated municipalities with populations greater than 2,000....

1. Best Places to Live in North Carolina (2012) - Marvin, NC (Union County)
Population: 6,823
Median household income (adjusted for cost of living): $177,058
Bachelor's degree or higher (25 years and over): 60.3%
Property crime rate per 1,000 residents (burglary and auto thefts): 5.04*

Best Places to Live in North Carolina (2012) - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Quote:
Again this is your perception not based on facts.
Sure there are rich people everywhere (Aero Plantation neighborhood in Union County has their own air strip) but as an average, Marvin homes have the highest household income in NC (over $150k) so it is a reason why houses are more expensive (in average 587k in 2009).

http://www.city-data.com/city/Marvin...-Carolina.html

Marvin, NC Income and Careers

Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
we live in a JWH neighborhood and I have to agree with you on your comments about the family friendly neighborhoods. I agree that Marvin schools are very good. I put a lot of merit in the average SAT scores and I will mention that Providence HS, North Meck, Myers Park, Ardrey Kell all have higher average SAT scores than Marvin HS.
Bridgehamptonn(NC side) is zoned for Ardrey Kell and the commute to Ft. Mill is a little closer than Weddington Chase.
Re: High Schools comparison:

Check any school in NC by inserting school name in "quick search box" - see link below:

ABCs
ABCs

Based on performance
Marvin Ridge High - 98.2
Weddington High - 96.6
Providence High - 96.3
Ardrey Kell - 95.6
Mayer Park - 83.6

Even in the next article (if you click on the list), you'll see MR ranking #1 in performance in the Charlotte area:

2011 Top Ranked Public High Schools - Charlotte Magazine - October 2011 - Charlotte, NC
http://www.charlottemagazine.com/WEB...9.11/chart.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or