U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,156,452 times

Advertisements

Yes, you are right Laura, I should have clarified. I was just thinking of the general area and some of those do feed into Cuthbertson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
The last four neighborhoods aren't in Marvin I don't believe, but they are nearby. I have always felt that the community in this area is not by town lines but more by the general area. For Marvin, I'd include Weddington and Waxhaw when considering the sense of community because they all flow into one another. And I think it's really what you make it. If you want a community, get involved! You can do that with the schools, churches, moms groups (I made all my friends down here through Union County Mommies), etc. All my Marvin friends love living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM

985 posts, read 1,650,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Yes, you are right Laura, I should have clarified. I was just thinking of the general area and some of those do feed into Cuthbertson.
I thought the OP sounded like they meant Marvin Ridge Schools.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,418,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The issue was brought up of specific schools, specific places with the highest income and homes in NC. I didn't pick this criteria, so I'm not sure why you are directing this towards me. If someone says that XYZ is the best place to live in NC and has the highest income, then the appropriate response IS to cherry pick examples that disprove it. This was done.

I personally don't care if people choose to live in Union county nor does average income of home prices in Union or Mecklenburg have any interest for me. These are fan boy statistics. My commentary was directed towards the OP who had yet to make this decision and wanted to hear all opinions.
Fair enough... However, that now infamous "Best of NC" that ranked Marvin #1 for 2012 in NC wasn't just based on median income. An interesting 3 elements to the ranking if you ask me (see below). Now I'm not one to jump on these lists as much more then entertainment - I leave the list thing to the Raleigh boards who love them. But you have to admit you can't write off the whole thing with your assertion from the anonymous comments that Marvin was skewed by "billionaires". The mega mega rich don't report "high incomes" for tax purposes. Regardless of that "median" is used statistically for a reason - super highs and super lows do not skew it like it was a "mean" or an "average". Beyond that, how would that explain Weddington at #2, Waxhaw at #16, and Wesley Chapel at #19? It seems to me that if it does say something about the area if you're looking at the importance of these 3 elements. Heck, your LN area Davidson came in 3rd (but it seems you have to share that with Iredell)... tough break. Looks like the first official 100% Meck entry was #12 for Huntersville. go team Charlotte!
Quote:
This article, the eleventh in a 50-state series, ranks the best places to live in North Carolina based on three criteria: (1) median household income (adjusted for cost of living); (2) educational attainment (% of residents 25 years and over who have earned a bachelor's degree or higher); and (3) property crime rates per 1,000 residents (burglary and automobile thefts).
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
The last four neighborhoods aren't in Marvin I don't believe, but they are nearby. I have always felt that the community in this area is not by town lines but more by the general area. For Marvin, I'd include Weddington and Waxhaw when considering the sense of community because they all flow into one another. And I think it's really what you make it. If you want a community, get involved! You can do that with the schools, churches, moms groups (I made all my friends down here through Union County Mommies), etc. All my Marvin friends love living there.
Actually, it's the last 2 that are zoned to Cuthbertson. The 1st 4 all are in the Marvin cluster (albeit zoned for different Elems).

Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 PM

423 posts, read 662,427 times
Yes, I didn't realize it was Marvin HS, not Marvin.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
... The mega mega rich don't report "high incomes" for tax purposes. Regardless of that "median" is used statistically for a reason - super highs and super lows do not skew it like it was a "mean" or an "average".
The Census Bureau does not use tax returns for income reporting. They use whatever the party checks on the census form.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:39 AM

830 posts, read 1,316,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This really isn't reflected by reality. There is a huge amount of money in Charlotte and those with it do not choose to live in a tract development created in the middle of a former farmland in remote Union county. In regards to Dilworth, this is a historic community hence there are not expensive McMansions being built inside Dilworth. Changes to property have to go through the Charlotte historic commission.

I recommend that you take a boat out onto Lake Norman and look at the homes there. There are almost no waterfront tract homes in Mecklenburg county. It is possible to find them further out. We are talking about places where they tear down $2M homes to build $6M homes.

I don't doubt that Marvin might have a higher income than surrounding communities as we are talking about Union county. The vast majority of it is rural. However what was quoted was compared against NC and it simply isn't true. My reason for posting this counter to these notions is the OP is asking for a fair assessment of this area and what was said above, IMO misrepresents what is available in Charlotte or NC.
Not completely true. Most parts of Dilworth are in the historic district, but not the entire neighborhood. There are a lot of tear downs around the neighborhood that are being replaced by new, large homes...some of them builders like Saussy-Burbank, others by individuals.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:05 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Not completely true. Most parts of Dilworth are in the historic district, but not the entire neighborhood.
There are a lot of areas around there that claim to be part of Dilworth, but they are not. Same for Myers Park. A lot of that is Myers Park Manor which was built about 30 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or