U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
Reputation: 1008

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not to be argumentative , but maybe some of the locals would have preferred it never become a "destination locale"? I'm just saying, sure it would not be what it is today, but that might not have been the end of the world

But all that is really beside the point and not at all worth arguing over. Most everyone agrees the speedway is a huge factor in the health of the economy of the area now.

Some of us just don't care for Bruton's steamrolling, bullying ways of doing things. A lot of this whole mess could have been avoided if he had gone thru the proper channels AND assured the nearby neighbors of his intent to make things as soundproof as possible for them. As I have repeatedly said, this new dragstrip will be used much more frequently and be much louder, so I can certainly understand homeowners concerns.

BTW, how cool that your grandfather helped pave the speedway! Did he ever go to races after helping build the place?
Have you seen the Simpsons' movie? Cargill bullies the whole world everyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,476,969 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
BTW, how cool that your grandfather helped pave the speedway! Did he ever go to races after helping build the place?
You must have edited while I was quoting you!

Yes, he did. It was about 1980 and he took me to the race. Back then I think it was the Mountain Dew 300 and the World 600, anyway, he bought me a program and right there was an ad for Blythe Brothers Paving and he was on the paving machine surveying the work as a foreman.

I always thought that was pretty cool, thanks for asking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 PM
 
4 posts, read 9,973 times
Reputation: 11
Default Someone from New Jersey

I can't believe I have missed out on this. My friend who lives in Huntersville told me about the proposed drag strip and all the fighting that was going on and I had to read about it. I live in New Jersey and work at a drag strip and have been around drag racing my entire life. I have contemplated moving to North Carolina for a couple reasons, one being the cost of living is much cheaper and two, I really like the area. What actually did bother me was the lack of drag racing action in the area. Everyone automatically assumes that just because I like cars that means I must be into NASCAR. I honestly like all forms of motorsports but drag racing is far and away my favorite and would really miss it if I wasn't around it. When I heard about this track I thought this was a match made in heaven for me. First of all I would just really like to point out a couple of things. SOME forms of drag racing are loud, very loud. A Top Fuel dragster makes approximately 8,000 horsepower. That is the draw of the sport for some, it really rattles yours senses and is absolutely amazing to see a car accelerate that fast. 330 MPH in 4.5 seconds it pretty cool to see. What I want people to understand is that those types of cars would not be running every day. Most likely they would only be there for one weekend. How bad is that, one weekend a year. Sure maybe some testing would go on or maybe a "thrill show" once a year too but it's not like a top fuel dragster would be running every night. What dragstrips do, or can do, is get kids off the street and it gives them a place to race where it is safe and organized. You have to have rules in place. We race 5 days a week in New Jersey, the most populated state remember. Most nights it's just street cars with full exhaust, not really that loud at all. We have certain nights when you have to run mufflers. We also have a curfew that is very strict. Have everything run mufflers if you wish, most cars actually run better with them. What I'm saying is just because a drag strip might or could be built does not mean the loudest or fastest cars are going to be running every night. Actually they would not be there that much at all. Hey if we figured out how to have 3 drag strips in the most densely populated state then it can work if the right rules are put in place. New Jersey is also home to a couple dirt tracks and they are building another very large track in South Jersey. It can happen if thoughtout properly. One other thing is drag racing is very easy to get involved in. You can take your daily car and take down the strip a couple times to see how fast it is. No worry about speeding tickets and it is very safe. If you want to race for money one can bracket race, another very easy and cost effective way to race. Also there are junior dragsters for the kids. Don't forget motorcycles either, we get a huge turn out for the bikes. I believe a drag strip can be utilized much differently than a big oval NASCAR track (not saying one is better than the other). A drag strip really lets everyone take advantage of it. Then maybe once or a couple times per year you get to see the professionals come in. If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to fire away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
241 posts, read 680,842 times
Reputation: 54
I am all for a Drag Strip. The area needs the exposure, and the boost to the economy wouldnt hurt. ViewfromNJ's statement seems to be pretty accurate. The residents in and around LMS need to take a step back and think what they were getting themselves into. We had no desire to move near LMS, for the reason of the traffic, noise, zoning, etc. A few disgruntled citizens shouldnt be allowed to derail a plan that is very beneficial to the area..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,395 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not to be argumentative , but maybe some of the locals would have preferred it never become a "destination locale"? I'm just saying, sure it would not be what it is today, but that might not have been the end of the world

But all that is really beside the point and not at all worth arguing over. Most everyone agrees the speedway is a huge factor in the health of the economy of the area now.
That's the catch 22. You have absolutely way too many businesses, ones that would never have been here to begin with, that are here because of the track. You can look at what could have been had the track not been there, it still remains that businesses moved in primarily because of the track, making Concord's economic vitality far more dependent on it being there. Maybe you could've pulled the plug on it 30 years ago without it being the end of the world, you certainly can't do it now...especially when huge budgets are being set factoring in the enormous revenue that thing brings in.

According to the news that thing took in 169 million dollars in tourist last year, nearly 70 percent of tourist revenue. I drove past it on the way home from work tonight it was packed. If that goes, on top of the other businesses that are leaving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Reputation: 39845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
That's the catch 22. You have absolutely way too many businesses, ones that would never have been here to begin with, that are here because of the track. You can look at what could have been had the track not been there, it still remains that businesses moved in primarily because of the track, making Concord's economic vitality far more dependent on it being there. Maybe you could've pulled the plug on it 30 years ago without it being the end of the world, you certainly can't do it now...especially when huge budgets are being set factoring in the enormous revenue that thing brings in.

According to the news that thing took in 169 million dollars in tourist last year, nearly 70 percent of tourist revenue. I drove past it on the way home from work tonight it was packed. If that goes, on top of the other businesses that are leaving...

It's not going anywhere And of course, I agree with you, what's done is done and the whole area is very dependent on the track for revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM
 
32 posts, read 90,419 times
Reputation: 35
Your always gonna have folks trying to impede progress wherever you go.
Nothing new. Business as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2007, 09:54 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
Reputation: 14917
State, Along With Concord, Now Offering Incentives To Keep LMS
State, Along With Concord, Now Offering Incentives To Keep LMS - Sports News Story - WSOC Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,632,798 times
Reputation: 3806
CONCORD --Lowe's Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith now says there is a 90% chance" he will move his track out of Concord for another site around Charlotte. And if he leaves Concord, Smith said, he will raze the track and sell the property piecemeal.

Charlotte Observer | 10/16/2007 | Smith: '90 percent chance' I'll move speedway (http://www.charlotte.com/business/story/320783.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,476,969 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
CONCORD --Lowe's Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith now says there is a 90% chance" he will move his track out of Concord for another site around Charlotte. And if he leaves Concord, Smith said, he will raze the track and sell the property piecemeal.

Charlotte Observer | 10/16/2007 | Smith: '90 percent chance' I'll move speedway (http://www.charlotte.com/business/story/320783.html - broken link)
I have a hard time believing he'll actually do it.

That's a lot of money to spend to build a new one.

He's sure putting on a good show, though. Gotta give him that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top