Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount79 View Post
Why? I have a hard time understanding why people dont want this track in their community...we are literally talking about hundreds of million of dollars to the local economy.

Yes the track does hold events year round...but only 3 times a year those events really effect the people that live around it....its worth the tax money.
Yes and I unfortunately lived near the speedway for two years and would NEVER buy a home near anything like it. Three weeks is three weeks too many. Property taxes in York County just went DOWN, so we don't need NASCAR's tax money to help us out. We have Carowinds, , and Charlotte itself right next door, so it's not like we need anything like this to help us either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 PM

352 posts, read 518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Yes and I unfortunately lived near the speedway for two years and would NEVER buy a home near anything like it. Three weeks is three weeks too many. Property taxes in York County just went DOWN, so we don't need NASCAR's tax money to help us out. We have Carowinds, , and Charlotte itself right next door, so it's not like we need anything like this to help us either.
I just moved from Speedway Blvd to Hwy 160 right near Carowinds...i would welcome the money it would bring.

I wouldnt turn down the millions it would bring for local businesses and tax money it would generate...i personally think it would be stupid to do so, but thats just my opinion.

It doesnt matter anyways, the race track isnt going anywhere.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:09 PM

352 posts, read 518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
4 with the drag strip.
to be honest, i'm not really that familiar with drag racing....but will it really attract as many people as a nextel cup event would at Charlotte (nearly 200,000 people)?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:21 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
Quote:
to be honest, i'm not really that familiar with drag racing....but will it really attract as many people as a nextel cup event would at Charlotte (nearly 200,000 people)?
You'd be surprised. It wont be the amount as a cup race, but it will fill the seats.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:20 PM

241 posts, read 755,505 times
The Charlotte area offers a population that is drawn to stock-car racing, drag racing, you name it! Yes, the seats would fill with no problem. I am sure the majority are NC natives, but I am sure they would be consistent patrons. I am all for a good bump to the economy in and around Charlotte. Who knows, this could be the start of something big..
Quote:

Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
The wheels are already turning to lure the Speedway just over the NC/SC stateline
The idea has turned some heads in Rowan County (north of Concord) which caused the fur to fly
Salisbury Post | LOCAL NEWS | Local leaders 'stunned' by Rowan invitation to speedway
Salisbury Post | LOCAL NEWS | Rowan Jobs Initiative chief defends letter to Bruton Smith

Old 10-05-2007, 11:40 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Actually, that is not really well-said at all. Just because you own land does not mean you can do things on that land if the annexation is not appropriate or if it violates ordinance. The area has zoning regulations and permit requirements that developers must obtain BEFORE construction projects like Bruton's drag strip are built. The mayor asserts that these were among the issues by which the decision was made.

I own land in north Meck but I can't build an Exxon on it. Come on.

Bruton owns the land. The land has been a racetrack since the 1950's. The dragstrip is part of the overall racing picture. He can develop his land. All Bruton did was start clearing, not building.

If you can have the zoning changed on your property, by all means build an Exxon.

The zoning and ordinances were changed on Monday in order to stop him from moving forward.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
That's what I don't understand...the zoning being "changed" after the fact! It's "his" land. Does that mean our land could have the zoning changed anytime the city sees fit? That's a scary thought! Just doesn't seem right.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:09 AM

124 posts, read 168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Outisde of people living there, what are the actual complaints? Do people not want the Dragstrip? It's all about leverage.. He has it.. so hopefully something positive happens.
The complaint, as voiced by the mayor on behalf of the people, was that a compromise had not been made in regard to use of the dragstrip; in particular, are they looking at 52 weekends a year of noise? No answer was given, thus the idea shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Bruton owns the land. The land has been a racetrack since the 1950's. The dragstrip is part of the overall racing picture. He can develop his land. All Bruton did was start clearing, not building.

If you can have the zoning changed on your property, by all means build an Exxon.

The zoning and ordinances were changed on Monday in order to stop him from moving forward.
You really don't get it, do you? Unbelievable.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:02 AM

12 posts, read 58,482 times
Let me quote my letter to the Charlotte Observer:
Quote:
Who's Really Running the Government in Concord?
Bruton Smith is getting all the heat in this discussion about wanting to build a drag strip on his property that was formerly zoned for motorsports.

Let's back up in time: What developer in their right mind would ask Cabarrus County and Concord to build a subdivision within ear-shot of property zoned for motorsports? AND what zoning board and city council would vote to allow it? Didn't they know the new homeowners would complain? Were they afraid the very rich developer would take his sub-divisions to other counties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte