Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM

10 posts, read 21,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that anyone who has commented about you owning a home on a golf course is simply expressing their incredulity at you buying a home in a danger zone, then nearly complaining about it. Anyone living on the edge of a golf course should absolutely expect some stray golf balls. You say you don't care about the damage, but did you think that somehow your kids would be immune from those same errant golf balls?

You definitely need to check with the HOA before you start the install. I know from personal experience they're very strict as to what can be seen from the golf course.

At least you don't seem to think that someone else owes you a fix for this.
Every sport I know, have their protection for personal injuries both for players and by standers or fans. They can easily put a netting 10 feet high next the tee point and it wont cause any harm. Golf is the only sport, the golfers can do anything they want. I think golf course should think the reasonable protection for everyone. In my case, I am willing to cover their expenses. For the kids, we wont have them when we purchased home and I never thought the balls will land our backyard. For the ones who want to purchase a home near a golf course, visit your home site at a weekend and sit there at least 3-4 hours and count the balls. If you receive 1 ball in that 3-4 hour period, dont buy that home

And for the HOA, i got the permission for the netting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,535,935 times
Just a hunch, I'll bet your home sits 200 yards out on the right side of the tee box.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt1903 View Post
Every sport I know, have their protection for personal injuries both for players and by standers or fans. They can easily put a netting 10 feet high next the tee point and it wont cause any harm. Golf is the only sport, the golfers can do anything they want. I think golf course should think the reasonable protection for everyone. In my case, I am willing to cover their expenses. For the kids, we wont have them when we purchased home and I never thought the balls will land our backyard. For the ones who want to purchase a home near a golf course, visit your home site at a weekend and sit there at least 3-4 hours and count the balls. If you receive 1 ball in that 3-4 hour period, dont buy that home

And for the HOA, i got the permission for the netting.
Other sports don't have people voluntarily living at the edge of the playing surface. If the course was isolated from the abutted homeowners, there would be little reason to buy a home on a golf course, don't you agree?

For anyone who does not want the possibility of a golf ball entering their property, don't buy a home on a golf course. There is always some risk otherwise. It only takes one bad shot to kill.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,380,838 times
Plant a row of fast growing pine trees. Yes, it will block your view but they will catch a lot of the balls. And stagger them for extra density. It'll help with resale, too. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
Hate to burst your bubble but no 10' high netting will prevent the type of shot (and distance) from entering your property.

You're 200 yards from the T box. Average hack hits between 175 and 250. Your're in the drop zone unless he hit it straight. Secondly they are trying to hit OVER your house (not 10 feet up) to make the dog leg. The ball is very high up. Most hackers THINK they can make it. Nooooo.

I feel your pain but I don't see the solution.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:38 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,431,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I feel your pain but I don't see the solution.
The solution was not buying on a golf course to begin with. Any golfer, even the good ones, know that balls go into properties alongside the course. If their house sits on a dogleg, you should definitely expect people to cut the corner.

The net potentially will stop some but not all the shots. The tree idea would work the best. If the golfers don't think they can get it high enough over the trees, they will have to go around. It also will help slowing the velocity the ball comes in at.

Note: Kids should not be an excuse at all. Adults can get hurt just as much as kids. Plus, they are bigger targets.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,511,260 times
Quote:
If someone can recommend us a company or a business who can help us, please lets us know. Thanks again for your time.
Call up a local paintball field. They would know where you can get it done the cheapest and who will probably provide the best service. Paintball fields are netted off to avoid shots from exiting the field and hitting houses, bystanders, etc.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 PM

373 posts, read 774,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Call up a local paintball field. They would know where you can get it done the cheapest and who will probably provide the best service. Paintball fields are netted off to avoid shots from exiting the field and hitting houses, bystanders, etc.
Don't stop there.

Get yourself some paintball guns along with that netting and light up the patrons of Bushwood when they shank or risk thier shots. It is not your fault someone built a golf course adjacent to your paintball field.

You have a constitutional right to play paintball on your own personal property regardless if you may happen to be such a bad shot with your paintball gun right after golfers drop golf balls on your property. I mean, how can you possibly hit your target while white dimpled mortars are falling on your head from the sky. Just because you miss your target and happen to light up the very same golfers who assualted your property - every time - with a paint bath is not your fault.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,487,775 times
get together with crestliner and sue everyone.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,971,198 times
Quote:
Why do you waste your time writing here then?

Because I like wasting time. Like replying to you. Do you mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte