U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM

12 posts, read 24,120 times
Default HELP !!!!! Work in Davidson - Cornelius vs Mooresville (Both west of I-77) to live ??

Will be relocating to the area and working in Davidson.... Have already visited the Charlotte area but need to explore more. I've read many of the older threads and have found them both helpful and confusing at the same time if that makes sense.

Right now, I'm considering best options for residency on the west / lake side of I-77 in either Cornelius or Mooresville

Considering a home in the $350K range in a subdivision.. Wife (late 30's) and Child (10yrs)...

What I've assessed so far for both:

Pros:

Pros to Cornelius: commute will be much closer to Davidson, shopping area off I-77 seemed nicer, bit closer to the city when needed
Pros to Mooresville : seems the schools seem to have best reputation (Lake Norman HS)

Cons:
Cons to Cornelius: unsure of reputation of newer HS (Hough HS) vs. Lake Norman HS - may be non-issue
Cons to Mooresville: seems traffic issues always brought up as problematic, even with expanded roads, concerned even traveling 10 miles to Davidson will be rough.

Would seem that while property & sales taxes are slightly lower in Mooresville, I'd likely make up the difference if reduced gas expenses traveling to work from Cornelius with shorter distance and less traffic going against direction of traffic.

Are there any other negatives about either (people, traffic, communities etc).... Or positives that make one truly stand out from the other given my notes above ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM

80 posts, read 73,707 times
Seems like you have done your research!
I think both lake areas west of 77 are very similar. I think it will probably come down to looking at specific neighborhoods and homes and deciding what appeals to you the most.
I am not sure the schools are different enough to really matter, though you will find that the overall perception is that parents are generally happier in the Iredell or MGSD rather than in CMS. In Cornelius & Davidson, I think you will find a higher number of parents that opt for private schools based on that perception or their own experience.
Depending on the specific neighborhood, I think with both schools you would probably have to eventually worry about the possibility of re-zoning because of the growth in the areas. I think that would be greater concern in CMS (Hough) rather than with Irdell (Lake Norman), due to the probability of a larger district re-zoning but also because of the wider variety of schools that may come into the mix. Since your child is 10, I am sure you have also researched middle schools and I think the same factors come into play there.
As far as traffic, Cornelius would the easier commute unless you are working near the edge of Davidson near the Iredell county line. I do think there are lake side areas of Mooresville though that you may want to consider that would make it somewhat painless. Anything around the Langtree area would allow you to drive straight over towards 115 and shoot right down to Davidson. There seems to be a bit of an uproar in that general area about some retail space going in, but it is worth talking to a realtor about. There are also some neighborhoods right along the southern end of Williamson (Sundown Estates, Harbor Cove, etc.) that would be a little easier.
The further you move towards Brawley & 150 the more traffic becomes a concern.
I am sure others can give you opinions on specific subdivions if you have gotten to that point.

Last edited by ocean22; 08-04-2012 at 08:53 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 01:24 AM

103 posts, read 80,658 times
Why not just live in Davidson? The schools have a good rep, your budget would allow, and that solves the commute issue. However, taxes would be higher.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:01 AM

3,915 posts, read 991,882 times
Cornelius trumps Mooresville in desirability. Southern end of Lake Norman in Mecklenburg on west side is boutique city. Mooresville trumps Cornelius for costs (excluding commute costs/time), not much else you can say about it however.

Your choice which is more important.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the replies so far...

Ocean22 ------- I have a follow up

Re: the traffic in Mooresville - Is the traffic bad everywhere along Brawley School Road, even further down or is it really a concern only as you approach 150 and the I-77 exit ? I mean let's say you were midway down Brawley School Road on a weekday morning - how long might it first take to get to the I-77 exit 36 and then how long might it take to get to exit 30 (Davidson) ? I did see a few houses on near Williamson Rd/Sundown subdivision that would seem to bypass some of the traffic to work, but thinking I would still incur traffic issues whenever we need to go near 150 (for shopping, schools etc).

movingjulie----- Davidson is nice, but the main street village area was a bit too small / quaint for my families liking and more options of the homes we like from a budget & style perspective appear to be in Cornelius & Mooresville on the west side. Also, just prefer to not live exactly where I would work just for change of scenery.

frewroad --
---- I got the impression that Cornelius may trump Mooresville in desirablity even if both on the west side... Cornelius shopping area just seemed to be newer, more selection and cleaner.... Is that what you mean by "boutique"...

I know future home values may be sketchy in either area as so many new ones get built, but seemed the people I spoke with down there seemed to have a similar impression as you. Lower taxes in Mooresville seem to be negated by higher commute costs (in my case). Can always do bigger purchase shopping there to save on the sales tax when needed.

Thanks... and appreciate all comments (good or bad) from anyone else as well...

Last edited by confusedfromNY; 08-05-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 AM

3,915 posts, read 991,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedfromNY View Post

frewroad --
---- I got the impression that Cornelius may trump Mooresville in desirablity even if both on the west side... Cornelius shopping area just seemed to be newer, more selection and cleaner.... Is that what you mean by "boutique"...

I know future home values may be sketchy in either area as so many new ones get built, ....
Boutique means it caters to more than just middle class concerns.

In regards to new development, in Huntersville, Cornelius & Davidson, there are tight restrictions on new development which limits the number of new home developments. This is why the area isn't littered with endless subdivisions. Furthermore on the west side of I-77 there are additional watershed rules that place restrictions on amount of ground that can be developed.

In contrast, there are some to no restrictions in Mooresville/Iredell county. This is why exit 33 & 36, Williamson Rd, Brawley School Rd. and W. Hwy 150 is a perpetual traffic jam that will try your patience every time you decide to drive on it.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,307,058 times
OK, lets stop with the Brawley traffic issues! Since the widened Brawley School Road was completed to the west side of Williamson, the traffic issues there are history!

I commute (if you call it that) to Davidson on a regular basis and I come past the YMCA and Hwy 150 area. I take Williamson down across 77, hop over to 115 and zip down into Davidson. Somedays I take I-77 from exit 33 to 30, but I just prefer the easy drive down 115.

My drive time from when I pass the YMCA to Davidson is approx 15 minutes on average. It's really easy from June till Aug. Once the schools open, I can probably add another 5 minutes to the time due to the people driving their kids to Pine Lake Prep and some other school off Presbyterian Road. (They can hold up 115 trying to make their left turns onto Presby.)

On the way home, I come up 115, hop over to 21 and then turn on Brawley School over by the golf course and Rushco gas station. Right now, the traffic is a little stuffy at the corner of 21 & Brawley and again passing St Therese on Brawley. Not sure why 21 has an issue, but the St Therese traffic is due to the road project at 77 & Brawley. Once this is complete, Brawley will be a terrific road from 21 to the Point, especially with the new exit on 77. I think it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get from Davidson back to where I pass the YMCA on the way home.

As far as shopping, I don't see much to compare between the Exit 28 area with Exit 36. M'ville has it all over Cornelius with better and alot of newer stores. However, traffic on 150 can be a bear at certain hours. (So can Exit 28 and 25.) But, if you learn some alternate routes, there are several ways to get around the area on the backroads, etc.

I prefer the schools in Iredell over Char Meck any day of the week. However, there is a toss-up between the ISS school system and the Mooresville GS District. They are both good. M'ville GSD gets higher ranks and has the PC program for kids, but I think I still prefer ISS.

We chose to live to the western side of 77 because of the lake, the schools, and the direct access to 77 and roads to the west (I used to travel alot between between M'ville, Lincolnton and Hickory).

All three areas have great housing. Iredell has lower real estate taxes and they might have better sales tax too. (It sure seems like things cost more in Meck County). You also can't beat the price of gas in Mooresville versus Meck (QT, Liberty, Wilco). There's usually a few pennies difference. That doesn't add up to much, but it will over time if you're a road warrior.

Hope this helps. No matter where you choose to settle, welcome to the area!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 AM

80 posts, read 73,707 times
I guess the idea of "traffic" needs to be put into perspective. Compared to a large city, traffic in the Lake Norman area is not a big deal. I just think for areas of this size, there continues to be some traffic problems during certain times of the day.
While I don't think the morning traffic is that bad since the widening of Brawley, I do think the afternoon traffic on 150, Williamson and the intersection of Williamson and Brawley is pretty annoying -enough so that we do our best to avoid it. From about noon-4pm can be rather messy especially on 150 from Williamson to 77 even on the weekends. However, if you like the amenities and newer feel of everything on the west side additional traffic comes with the territory in any of the Lake Norman areas.
I agree with MovingJulie and it might be worth another look in & around Davidson. I think Davidson is considered one of the more desirable areas and since you are not looking for a home directly on the lake, I would consider it.
Another area to look at that gives you a Davidson address but is in Iredell county is some of the neighborhoods right over the Iredell County line. It would be on the east side of 77 but you would be out of CMS schools and Iredell taxes... still very close to work. Anniston is one neighborhood that comes to mind, though it may be a little high for your price range.
Now, the only slight negative with that is that while the middle/high are Brawley/Lake Norman I do think some of the ISS elementary schools struggle in that area so it depends if your child has a year or two left. A little north of that area would put you over the line into MGSD, but moving further away from the west side.

Overall though, I think you will find that while certain pockets of other Lake Norman communities are considered very desirable their attachment to CMS schools creates a problem for some families. Most perform quite well on testing, but I have found that the general attitude towards the schools is not positive for whatever reason. Iredell/MGSD are very different in that respect and I think that is the deciding factor for families that are not considering private school.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Thanks... these detailed replies/opinions are very helpful !!!!...

My initial leaning was Mooresville, but started re-thinking about Cornelius, from the brief look at the shopping off the exit and the potential for a very short commute.

I would be coming from Long Island, outside of NY... so I am used to heavy traffic. Typical day to work traveling 14 miles one way usually takes me about 30-35 minutes..... Moving into more of the same is not so appealing... if on a smaller scale or a bit less, I can deal with it, if everything else make sense for the overall family (school, lower costs & taxes, comparable shopping etc.)

We'll be back down at the end of the month for a few days to do more exploring, so I think I will plan to take a dry run from Mooresville to Davison in the morning to see for myself...maybe start 1/2 down Brawley up to 150 to I-77 then down to Exit 30.

LOoking forward to it all, as everyone is so nice.... just very confusing trying to make decisions when not there enough to get true perspective..

Any others, please chime in... the more the better !!!!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,307,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedfromNY View Post
We'll be back down at the end of the month for a few days to do more exploring, so I think I will plan to take a dry run from Mooresville to Davison in the morning to see for myself...maybe start 1/2 down Brawley up to 150 to I-77 then down to Exit 30.
Hi Confused... When you do your test run, don't go to 150 to get on 77. That's far out of your way.

Take Brawley to Williamson Rd, then make a right and you'll pick up 77 at Exit 33. Then, you are a mere hop skip and jump from Exit 30.

Schools will be just opening up here in late August, so you'll get the full brunt of school year traffic in the area when you come visit. I think this will be the most honest representation of traffic volume for you.

Also, keep in mind that the new exit on 77 between 33 and 36 will be opening next year, so that will take more cars off Williamson (and 150 too!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte