U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 AM

37 posts, read 20,886 times
Default Cost of utilities in NC.

Hi ppl! Just wondering what utilities run in NC? I hear ppl say you have to put down a deposit.

Last edited by kingGirl12; 08-05-2012 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 6,610 times
I just ReLo'd to Charlotte. No deposit was required for Duke. While I hear that, in general, utilities are less costly than the NY Metro Area... I've not been here long enough to get my first bill yet.

I'm pretty sure where ever you go your bill will depend on utilization, types of appliances, type of etc..

Good Luck !

Old 08-05-2012, 02:28 PM

85 posts, read 74,823 times
3,600 sq ft, 2-story, 1/3 acre. House built in '98. July Duke electric bill was $236. Water/sewage/storm bill was $178 - and that is watering less than 2x/week @ 30 minutes.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 PM

3,915 posts, read 1,182,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
3,600 sq ft, 2-story, 1/3 acre. House built in '98. July Duke electric bill was $236. Water/sewage/storm bill was $178 - and that is watering less than 2x/week @ 30 minutes.
Good lordy. My July power bill was $94 and the CMUD water/sewage/storm bill was an outrageous $42. Gas bill was $17.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:57 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,024,778 times
1800 sq ft house.

My last electric bill was around $26, but that's because my A/C doesn't work anymore. I have all the ceiling fans running, a refrigerator, and a 220V clothes dryer, and my computer of course. So In my view the electicity is quite reasonable.

I barely use any water at all (low flow toilets, shower twice a week, use no more than I need in the clothes washer) and manage to keep that down to $32 a month. (I'm fine with the yard turning brown in the summer. Just means less cutting... It'll grow back the next year, no big deal...) $20 of the bill is fixed cost so it's nearly impossible to go any lower.

Gas bills in the winter got to around $300, when I decided to cut back hard. I closed off two rooms that I rarely use, put the thermostat at 64 and began using a space heater in my bedroom and by my computer desk... that cut the bills down to about $130. The electric does rise to about $60 doing this but the net tradeoff does work out. In the summer gas bills are a pittence... $22 or so for the gas water heater and the pilot light on a gas log fireplace.

Plus $42 for cable internet.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 08-05-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,554,929 times
and, after you have been here a year, you can subscribe to the "budget" plan where you pay the same amount every month (determined by an average by the utility company) to lessen the shock of being hit with a high gas bill in the winter, for example. If it looks as though you are going to use more than your allotted amount, they raise your payment slightly several months in advance of your annual evaluation. Same thing if you use less. Right now, my budgeted gas bill is only $25.00/month (as opposed to the usual $75.00/month) because I didn't use that much last year during the very mild winter.

I also have a wooden dryer where I hang my clothes outside (to circumvent the ban on clotheslines in my HOA). Use the dryer maybe 30 minutes a month. Saved a good bit of electricity doing that. This winter, that will help add humidity to the dry air.

Duke Energy also has a program where they cut the electricity to your A/C for a couple of hours a day. That equals to a $10.00 monthly credit. It is usually during the day, so, I don't miss it. I also shut off the A/C during the evening/overnight hours; only keep it on during the day and have the t-stat set at 80. Keeps my bill at less than $100.00/month during the summer months. (although I only pay my budgeted amount of $68.00 which includes an "insurance" for hot water heater replacement [$4.95/month])

Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,554,929 times
PS: to the OP: Deposits are required if you do not have a history of having utility service or if your credit is poor.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 AM

103 posts, read 85,778 times
Default Utilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingGirl12 View Post
Hi ppl! Just wondering what utilities run in NC? I hear ppl say you have to put down a deposit.
When I moved here from Ohio, I had my former gas/electric company write a letter stating that we paid all bills on time for a year, they then did not require a deposit, otherwise they do generally. To start other utilities, there were startup fees which they would not negotiate. EX: $70 to transfer internet, $99 to get direct TV. Garbage is generally included in most neighborhoods, whereas back home that was an additional charge as well.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,666,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
Say.... WHAT?! There's something seriously off with these numbers... waaaaay off. I'd say the electric could be something related to poor insulation maybe. It should be HALF that with reasonable usage. But the water is the real kicker here... wow. My last water/sewer bill was $40 (which I consider way overpriced based on my usage) - no idea how to even get up to $178 unless I'm watering the entire block.

My gas (heat and hot water) is about $16 this time of year and gets into the mid100range during the Winter months.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM

85 posts, read 74,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Say.... WHAT?! There's something seriously off with these numbers... waaaaay off. I'd say the electric could be something related to poor insulation maybe. It should be HALF that with reasonable usage. But the water is the real kicker here... wow. My last water/sewer bill was $40 (which I consider way overpriced based on my usage) - no idea how to even get up to $178 unless I'm watering the entire block.

My gas (heat and hot water) is about $16 this time of year and gets into the mid100range during the Winter months.

Would love some guidance on what else to check-out. We kept temp @ 76 degrees, and we had AC company check-out our units (one is two-years old, the other is 12). My neighbor across-the-street says their water bill is $350? We used around 22 ccf. I have watched the meter and there does not appear to be a leak. We water about once, max twice, per week @ 30 minutes per valve - and that is what is drawing the overwhelming amount of water. Is there a good service I can call to evaluate energy efficiency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte