U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
that's a bit harsh...
If you had not cut the rest of my posting, it probably wouldn't have seemed so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
If you had not cut the rest of my posting, it probably wouldn't have seemed so.
nah... it's right under the original post. Still seems a bit harsh.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM

2,773 posts, read 2,493,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I would guess that the NC flag would work just fine. All volunteer regiments on both sides belonged to a state.
So the nine slaves belonged to a "volunteer" regiment?

Talk about a sad irony.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
So the nine slaves belonged to a "volunteer" regiment?

Talk about a sad irony.
It's well known that many white men joined Confederate volunteer regiments when they were drafted at the long end if a rifle. That's certainly no less ironic.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If you read the "Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union" which was written in 1852 and then 9 years later adopted by the SC government prior to secession, you will find their grievances against remaining in the Union were completely different than this. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's documented history. You can read it HERE.

The war wasn't started over slavery. The war was started when an independent SC was forced to fired on Ft. Sumter in order to remove the unauthorized Union garrison that moved there from Ft. Moultre. This garrison had moved without orders from Washington. SC considered this state property and after several months fired on them to leave.
You are so deep into the revisionist history tank that you need SCUBA gear.

Like it or not, "independent" SC was still part of the United States and as such, it had absolutely no justification (legal, moral, or otherwise) to fire upon a Federal garrison, which is why SC and all of the other southern states who joined her got their a**** kicked by the United States (Union) Army and rightly so.

Let's call this nonsense about SC being "forced" to fire upon Fort Sumter what it really is...malarkey.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's well known that many white men joined Confederate volunteer regiments when they were drafted at the long end if a rifle. That's certainly no less ironic.
Really?

Well known by who?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Really?

Well known by who?
There are plenty of primary sources. This thread is about a monument to documented black veterans in Union County. It's not a Civil War thread on the history board, so I'm not going to veer off the topic to debate you. Look up Tilghman Vestal to see what else happened to some who were not inclined to join.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM

221 posts, read 299,912 times
What I want to know is, how did these black Confederate soldiers fight with shackles on their feet,that must have been hard to do, you have to admit or sense the irony in this..right

with that being said I'm a veteran of our proud Country and I totally think this topic is awesome and respect all
men who served their country regardless what side they were on or their race.

this is real NC. history and these men will not be forgotten, I'm proud that they are being recognized by Union County.

thanks to Sunny for this thread

Wow ! Black Confederate Soldiers ...Irony anyone ?

Last edited by chicagobears; 11-15-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
What I want to know is, how did these black Confederate soldiers fight with those shackles on their feet ?
that must have been hard to do .... just kidding...

I totally think this topic is awesome and respect all
men who served their country regardless what side they were on or their race.

wow black Confederate soldiers ....Irony anyone ?

this is real NC. history and these men will not be forgotten, I'm proud that they are being recognized by Union County.
thanks Sunny for this thread
Kinda like you introduce me to 'The Forgotten Sons' the North Carolina Union soldiers in your thread located in the state forum.

I finally had time to read that link on the history of soldiers that fought along the coast but but..
It mentions about black civil war troops in Part III http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...uv/forgot3.htm
Quote:
It was neither customary nor legal in those days to count Negroes, whether slave or free, as citizens or even as persons. This was unfortunate for in the next four years it was learned that these beings could march, charge, and fire guns. In the next four years at least 5,034 2 North Carolina Negroes, organized into four regiments, bearing the name of their native state, did all in their power to make the North victorious and gain freedom for their race.
CB if you ever get a chance go to Fort Fisher they have a wonderful civil war museum.

To the posters who wants to discuss and debate politics of the war please refrain from doing so in these non political civil war threads. Im asking as a fellow member and not as a mod as I find these threads educational.

When I was in high school about hour north of Charlotte, I always got the most boring history teachers. The ones who talk like Charlie Brown mom, or they rush through or have you remember stupid non educational facts.
I learned more history about Charlotte and North Carolina within last five years right here on CD.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
Quote:
You are so deep into the revisionist history tank that you need SCUBA gear.

Like it or not, "independent" SC was still part of the United States and as such, it had absolutely no justification (legal, moral, or otherwise) to fire upon a Federal garrison, which is why SC and all of the other southern states who joined her got their a**** kicked by the United States (Union) Army and rightly so.

Let's call this nonsense about SC being "forced" to fire upon Fort Sumter what it really is...malarkey.

If you call 2.8 million northern casualties and 110,000 deaths compared to 1.25 southern casualties and 94,000 deaths in the south "getting their assed Kicked" (refering to the south), you might be exagerating reality. The north won the war (certainly not kicking ass) and accomplished its purpose which was to maintain control of southern states which had always provided most of the tax revenue for Washington. Winning the war ensured the continuation of building the large cities, infrastructure, and rail systems of the north while ignoring the expansion or growth of the south. By losing the war, the south was denied its ability to live independently without depending on the union, with its European trade partners . But to brag about some great overwhelming defeat is inaccurate. The south wasn't overpowered or overfought. The south lose due to attrition which means the lack of weapons, ammunition, medicine, clothing, and general war needs. The south simply lost due to the lack of war materials needed to sustain a war that outlasted expectations.

I agree with you that, like it or not, S.C. was still part of the union. But, if I were a Charlestonian, I might have been the first to fire a cannon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or